Need some help regarding human macro evolution

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Need some help regarding human macro evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

This article in particular might be of interest.

http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/ ... HFonnIMZFM
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
PaulB007
Recognized Member

Post by PaulB007 »

I appreciate those links, I looked at them and they do seem to have some of the things I was questioning in them that I was thinking in my head. The whole chimpanzee evolution thing has been my one and only problem believing in God, the other issues have never been of much concern
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

PaulB007 wrote:I appreciate those links, I looked at them and they do seem to have some of the things I was questioning in them that I was thinking in my head. The whole chimpanzee evolution thing has been my one and only problem believing in God, the other issues have never been of much concern
It's really not an issue... Just remember when they quote this 3% number they're talking "genetic information" or just DNA. Not the coding part of the DNA, the gene. So, I've adjusted it for genes when others have done this, they've found the number closer to 15% which is not at all surprising considering our physical similarities.

Base Pairs per Human Genome

There are approximately 3 billion base pairs in the human genome.

3 billion = 3 x 109

The average gene has 1,350 base pairs.

The human genome has 30,000 — 40,000 genes (from the Genome Project)

3% = 3 x 10-2

(3 x 10-2) x (3 x 109) = 9 x 107 or 90 million base pairs.

Number of base pairs per gene ≈ 1.4 x 103
Number of genes in human genome ≈ 4.0 x 104

(1.4 x 103) x (4.0 x 104) = 5.6 x 107

Remember that 9 x 107 base pairs is our 3% difference, so…

9 x 107 ÷ 5.6 x 107 = 1.6

Therefore, 1.6 copies of the entire human genome could fit in the 3% difference.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
PaulB007
Recognized Member

Post by PaulB007 »

Very interesting. I feel so dumb regarding genetics and science, it never was my primary focus although it does interest me. I should have went in for science so I could have fought the good fight for the side of God. ;)

I think RTB (reasons.org) believes that Neanderthals, hominids, ect are different animals altogether. Do you support that idea as well?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

PaulB007 wrote:Very interesting. I feel so dumb regarding genetics and science, it never was my primary focus although it does interest me. I should have went in for science so I could have fought the good fight for the side of God. ;)

I think RTB (reasons.org) believes that Neanderthals, hominids, ect are different animals altogether. Do you support that idea as well?
I'm pretty involved in RTB, so yes I would agree with them. I'm not a fan of common descent in that respect even if we took a hard look at the evidence.. What we have here are only weights of evidence in favor of one view and sometimes neglecting the other.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8