Foozball??

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Foozball??

Post by DannyM »

...As the forever endearing Chandler and Joey like to call it. How are my brothers and sisters in the States perceiving the beautiful game these days? Has "lord" Beckham made a difference? Way I see it, If the two masters, Best and Pele, couldn't give the game lift-off over there then NO ONE can! Tell me I'm wrong please!!
Last edited by DannyM on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
touchingcloth
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Foozball??

Post by touchingcloth »

For all the Americans who dislike football (I don't mind if you call it soccer ;)) - you have my support from across the pond.

Sorry Danny!
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

touchingcloth wrote:For all the Americans who dislike football (I don't mind if you call it soccer ;)) - you have my support from across the pond.

Sorry Danny!
And there's me thinking you might be an on-the-level geezer! Never mind, I'd still have a pig's ear with ya :ewink:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

touchingcloth wrote:For all the Americans who dislike football (I don't mind if you call it soccer ;)) - you have my support from across the pond.

Sorry Danny!
What the hell kind of a Brit are you man? I can tolerate your atheism but that is just pure, intolerable blasphemy. What are you some kind of a rugby guy or something? arrg, I'm getting chills.
DannyM wrote:...As the forever endearing Chandler and Joey like to call it. How are my brothers and sisters in the States perceiving the beautiful game these days? Has "Lord" Beckham made a difference? Way I see it, If the two masters, Best and Pele, couldn't give the game lift-off over there then NO ONE can! Tell me I'm wrong please!!
Soccer will never go anywhere in the States, unless the game is changed as to allow timeouts and advertising. It's as simple as that. The American market is not geared towards sports that play on for 45 minutes with no interruption.

As to who my team is (you asked in the other thread), I thought I had made it clear, Brazil all the way baby (number 10? Pele?). Yes, I am an American but not by birth. I was born and raised in the Middle East and played soccer from the day I walked all the way through high school. Then I migrated to the U.S. and became a fanatic American football fan ever since. But one can never forget where they came from.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Byblos wrote:

Sorry Danny!
What the hell kind of a Brit are you man? I can tolerate your atheism but that is just pure, intolerable blasphemy. What are you some kind of a rugby guy or something? arrg, I'm getting chills..
Too right Byblos- give it to the heathen!
Byblos wrote:
DannyM wrote:...As the forever endearing Chandler and Joey like to call it. How are my brothers and sisters in the States perceiving the beautiful game these days? Has "Lord" Beckham made a difference? Way I see it, If the two masters, Best and Pele, couldn't give the game lift-off over there then NO ONE can! Tell me I'm wrong please!!
Soccer will never go anywhere in the States, unless the game is changed as to allow timeouts and advertising. It's as simple as that. The American market is not geared towards sports that play on for 45 minutes with no interruption.

As to who my team is (you asked in the other thread), I thought I had made it clear, Brazil all the way baby (number 10? Pele?). Yes, I am an American but not by birth. I was born and raised in the Middle East and played soccer from the day I walked all the way through high school. Then I migrated to the U.S. and became a fanatic American football fan ever since. But one can never forget where they came from.
Is that REALLY what it boils down to, Byblos? Isn't it purely that Americans do not like football?

If you'll allow brother, where in the ME were you born? You must have a MLS team??

Ah, so you DO like American football?? okay, confession time: I watched the SB and, umm, quite enjoyed the action...Okay, now I feel strange... :?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
touchingcloth

Post by touchingcloth »

DannyM wrote:Is that REALLY what it boils down to, Byblos? Isn't it purely that Americans do not like football?
My American friends tell me that a lot of it is down to Americans not being used to games where draws are regular occurrence...or, even worse, no-score draws!
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

touchingcloth wrote:
DannyM wrote:Is that REALLY what it boils down to, Byblos? Isn't it purely that Americans do not like football?
My American friends tell me that a lot of it is down to Americans not being used to games where draws are regular occurrence...or, even worse, no-score draws!
Yes I've heard this from some Americans but this surely cannot describe ALL Americans for this would imply that the English and Americans are so far apart that the English can appreciate a tactical sporting encounter and the Americans can't. This is of course a possibility, but I don't follow this line of thought at all. Culturally, we are pretty much even, and football (soccer) would NEVER disrupt this cultural similarity...
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Really, that's what it boils down to, money, business, marketability.
DannyM wrote:If you'll allow brother, where in the ME were you born? You must have a MLS team??
Born in Lebanon, in the city of, wait for it ... what else, Byblos. We do have an MLS team that competes locally but was never good enough to make the world cup (I wish, can't wait for it).
DannyM wrote:Ah, so you DO like American football??
Are you kidding? This whole thing started because I thought you were insulting American football. Now that the season is over the hardest thing is finding something to do on the weekends. Oh, I guess I'll just have to occupy myself with the family or something :roll: .
DannyM wrote:okay, confession time: I watched the SB and, umm, quite enjoyed the action...Okay, now I feel strange... :?
Why do you feel strange? You're entitled to like something other than soccer. American football is an amazing game, the modern gladiators. Nothing like it.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

DannyM wrote:
touchingcloth wrote:
Yes I've heard this from some Americans but this surely cannot describe ALL Americans for this would imply that the English and Americans are so far apart that the English can appreciate a tactical sporting encounter and the Americans can't. This is of course a possibility, but I don't follow this line of thought at all. Culturally, we are pretty much even, and football (soccer) would NEVER disrupt this cultural similarity...
I don't think that's it at all. Splits or draws are possible in American football though rare, but they do happen.

touchingcloth

Post by touchingcloth »

Byblos wrote:I don't think that's it at all. Splits or draws are possible in American football though rare, but they do happen.
Yes - but they're part of the scenery in soccer...
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Byblos wrote:
Really, that's what it boils down to, money, business, marketability.
But what about the heart of a club BEFORE all this came in?
Byblos wrote:
DannyM wrote:If you'll allow brother, where in the ME were you born? You must have a MLS team??
Born in Lebanon, in the city of, wait for it ... what else, Byblos. We do have an MLS team that competes locally but was never good enough to make the world cup (I wish, can't wait for it).
:lol: Love it! Who you rooting for in the WC?? Aside from the US...??
Byblos wrote:
DannyM wrote:Ah, so you DO like American football??
Are you kidding? This whole thing started because I thought you were insulting American football. Now that the season is over the hardest thing is finding something to do on the weekends. Oh, I guess I'll just have to occupy myself with the family or something :roll: .
I feel EXACTLY the same in May when the FOOTBALL season finishes... :ewink:
Byblos wrote:[
DannyM wrote:okay, confession time: I watched the SB and, umm, quite enjoyed the action...Okay, now I feel strange... :?
Why do you feel strange? You're entitled to like something other than soccer. American football is an amazing game, the modern gladiators. Nothing like it.
You know what, I watched the closing stages of that game you call football and I was engrossed- if you please- in the whole thing. But I still don't understand why the men wear shoulder pads like some women do in their evening garments- what's all that about?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

touchingcloth wrote:
Byblos wrote:I don't think that's it at all. Splits or draws are possible in American football though rare, but they do happen.
Yes - but they're part of the scenery in soccer...
Tc, I suggerst you look at your pools coupon and see how many no-score draws there are out of 92 league games... ;)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

American football, to me, is far more entertaining.. A lot more contact. It's brutal... There is a lot of technical stuff that happens behind the scenes too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGuEeLATV0&NR=1

Soccer can be entertaining, but it takes such a long time to score. And when that ball bounces off your head, well, it just looks silly. :P
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

DannyM wrote:But what about the heart of a club BEFORE all this came in?
Danny, my man, listen to me, sports in this country is a business first and foremost. What sells is what becomes successful. Popularity or fanhood is secondary.
Byblos wrote:Who you rooting for in the WC?? Aside from the US...??
Always the U.S. first. But Brazil has always held a soft spot in my heart. Third is Italy. You see, my brother-in-law is Brazilian and my brother is Italian so you can imagine what was going on with us when they played in the world cup back in the mid 90's. Do you remember that one? When Brazil won on penalty kicks? Or was that France and Italy? Now my memory is failing me. I'll look it up. Ah I was right on both counts, 2 different tournaments. Brazil/Italy was in 1994 and Italy/France was in 2006, both decided on penalty kicks.
DannyM wrote:You know what, I watched the closing stages of that game you call football and I was engrossed- if you please- in the whole thing. But I still don't understand why the men wear shoulder pads like some women do in their evening garments- what's all that about?
Ah the shoulder pads and helmets thing that Brits have an issue with (as compared to rugby I presume). Totally different games my friend. American football is without a doubt the most brutal sport today. With all the protection players wear, still the percentage of injury is much greater than all major sports combined. Unlike rugby, in each and every play in football there are multiple tackles, most of which are head-on collisions. Just watch this sample here to see what I'm talking about. Absolutely insane. Believe me when I tell you, you get into real football you will never look back again.

DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Byblos wrote:Danny, my man, listen to me, sports in this country is a business first and foremost. What sells is what becomes successful. Popularity or fanhood is secondary..
So it's true what they say: there is no soul to teams/clubs? So every team was founded on a franchise?
Byblos wrote:Always the U.S. first. But Brazil has always held a soft spot in my heart. Third is Italy. You see, my brother-in-law is Brazilian and my brother is Italian so you can imagine what was going on with us when they played in the world cup back in the mid 90's. Do you remember that one? When Brazil won on penalty kicks? Or was that France and Italy? Now my memory is failing me. I'll look it up. Ah I was right on both counts, 2 different tournaments. Brazil/Italy was in 1994 and Italy/France was in 2006, both decided on penalty kicks..
Very diverse, my friend. Wasn't the '94 World Cup in the US? I can remember Brazil Italy when Italy actually should have won the game and played the better. I think that was the year... England will never win the WC again unfortunately- we just are not good enough and will not be good enough when you see teams like Spain and how they play their football.

Byblos wrote:Ah the shoulder pads and helmets thing that Brits have an issue with (as compared to rugby I presume). Totally different games my friend. American football is without a doubt the most brutal sport today. With all the protection players wear, still the percentage of injury is much greater than all major sports combined. Unlike rugby, in each and every play in football there are multiple tackles, most of which are head-on collisions. Just watch this sample here to see what I'm talking about. Absolutely insane. Believe me when I tell you, you get into real football you will never look back again.
Shoulder pads and helmets?? So the poor little souls might get hurt? :ewink: Hey Byblos, I'm no rugby fan trust me but it is a very HARD game; those boys are animals!! No 'time-outs' and constant stopping of play for those boys. Having said that, American football is also not for the faint hearted for sure.

Real football?? Let me ask you for 8 minutes of your time brother to watch some quality football... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KULHyEpDSp8&NR=1
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia