Foozball??

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Foozball??

Post by jlay »

Bottom line is the USA took some lame games in soccer and cricket, and made them into the greatest sports in the world in football and baseball. We also invented the most athletic game in the world in basketball.

If men played American football with no pads, there would be at least one death a game. I have no question Rugby players are tough, but you have no idea what kind of athletes play this game, or the speed its played at.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

jlay wrote:Bottom line is the USA took some lame games in soccer and cricket, and made them into the greatest sports in the world in football and baseball. We also invented the most athletic game in the world in basketball.

If men played American football with no pads, there would be at least one death a game. I have no question Rugby players are tough, but you have no idea what kind of athletes play this game, or the speed its played at.
That's your opinion and if American football (where do the feet come into it? y:-/ ) and baseball are "the greatest sports in the world" then why does hardly any other country except America play these sports? :ewink: Football (not soccer- FOOTBALL) is a world game and it is the greatest game in the world. Now again this is my opinion, but the fact that it is a global game backs up my claim. I didn't really want to get into a debate about it but if that's what you want then let's get the facts straight? :)
Last edited by DannyM on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Gman wrote:And when that ball bounces off your head, well, it just looks silly. :P
Silly? Perhaps. It does explain why so many "soccer players" appear to be a little bit slow... :ewink:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Please watch this clip. It's 3mins long and it's from Aresenal vs Chelsea, 2004, quarter final of the Champions League. I was there and have just found it on the youtube. I think it captures the raw emotion of football (soccer). Chelsea come from 1-0 down to win 2-1 and the 4/5000 Chelsea fans who were there just went crazy. We partied all night and the next day. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnzByaOGOk
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

DannyM wrote:
jlay wrote:Bottom line is the USA took some lame games in soccer and cricket, and made them into the greatest sports in the world in football and baseball. We also invented the most athletic game in the world in basketball.

That's your opinion and if American football (where do the feet come into it? y:-/ ) and baseball are "the greatest sports in the world" then why does hardly any other country except America play these sports? :ewink: Football (not soccer- FOOTBALL) is a world game and it is the greatest game in the world. Now again this is my opinion, but the fact that it is a global game backs up my claim. I didn't really want to get into a debate about it but if that's what you want then let's get the facts straight? :)
That's because we're isolationist imperialists :wink:. No really, there is a measure of truth to that. That's why we play different sports than anywhere in the world, we sill use ounces, pounds, inches and feet instead of the metric system, our brand of federalist system of democracy is pretty much unique, and our justice system is second to none. I'm sorry but I am in love with everything that is America and football is certainly one of them. It may not have originated with soccer (more so with rugby perhaps) but it does merit the name football since the game starts with a kickoff, may have several punts, and in many instances a kick affects the score and may determine the outcome of a game (field goals). Soccer is without a doubt the greatest game in the world except here in the U.S. But at the same time the world will never fully embrace America's brand of football either; much too violent without the benefit of war (oh the hypocrisy 8) ).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Another brit signing in with no interest football.

Just for Byblos, I don't do rugby, cricket, American football or pretty much any other sport.

I maybe watch one game of tennis a year, occasionally I watch a sport which involves two men beating each other up - boxing, ufc, kickboxing etc, not very often though.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

DannyM wrote: That's your opinion and if American football (where do the feet come into it? y:-/ )
When you run with the ball... ;)

I prefer college football over the NFL (professional) football. College football, to me, is more exciting... They take more chances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWFbGw-jZvc

By the way my team Boise State (French "Les Bois") is comprised of players throughout the world. Mainly Europe and Canada..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Byblos wrote:That's because we're isolationist imperialists :wink:. No really, there is a measure of truth to that. That's why we play different sports than anywhere in the world, we sill use ounces, pounds, inches and feet instead of the metric system, our brand of federalist system of democracy is pretty much unique, and our justice system is second to none. I'm sorry but I am in love with everything that is America and football is certainly one of them. It may not have originated with soccer (more so with rugby perhaps) but it does merit the name football since the game starts with a kickoff, may have several punts, and in many instances a kick affects the score and may determine the outcome of a game (field goals). Soccer is without a doubt the greatest game in the world except here in the U.S. But at the same time the world will never fully embrace America's brand of football either; much too violent without the benefit of war (oh the hypocrisy 8) ).
:lol: You fight your corner well my friend! Do NOT get me going on that godamn metric system Byblos- everybody I know still uses ounces, pounds, inches and feet. But your point is correct: successive administrations have, bit by bit, surrendered- and I do not use that word lightly- to Europe (Brussels) and much of the metric system is in use across the country; the cherry on the cake regarding governments was Blair's administration (you know that guy you all think is great?); his government was the weakest British government in history- and the most corrupt. But there is one bastion, a cornerstone if you wish, that has not been touched: I don't have to ask for 0.5683 l of lager when I go in to a pub for a pint! (Yes, I had to google that monstrosity of a conversion.)

Hey Byblos, I'm also a lover of (nearly all) things American. I'm a firm US-phile. But hey, just as with the game of rugby, I just cannot wrap my head 'round men running with a ball in their hand. I see no skill or finesse to that. Although I appreciate the game can be tactical. :)
Last edited by DannyM on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Gman wrote:
DannyM wrote: That's your opinion and if American football (where do the feet come into it? y:-/ )
When you run with the ball... ;) ..
:lol: That's a stretch G!
Gman wrote:I prefer college football over the NFL (professional) football. College football, to me, is more exciting... They take more chances.

By the way my team Boise State (French "Les Bois") is comprised of players throughout the world. Mainly Europe and Canada..
I'll take a look at that link. Might have been an idea to have done it before responding... doh :oops:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Where in the UK are you from Danny?

I love the UK... Great country to visit in my opinion. Smart people too... ;)

And the music... Awesome.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Gman wrote: I prefer college football over the NFL (professional) football. College football, to me, is more exciting... They take more chances.

Okay I enjoyed that last play when the BSU man feigned the throw with his right and slipped the ball back with his left to his pal and the two other BSU guys blocking their two men and the guy who took the slipped pass steams in. That was good. I liked that. Good tactical stuff. You got any similar stuff to that? 8)

And G, is that your team, BSU?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Gman wrote:Where in the UK are you from Danny?

I love the UK... Great country to visit in my opinion. Smart people too... ;)
I'm from West London, a place called Hounslow, not far from Heathrow Airport. I spend my time now between there and the SW Coast. Can't seem to make the breakaway from the neighbourhood- even though it's a dump 8)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Gman wrote: And the music... Awesome.
Which music do you like?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

DannyM wrote: Okay I enjoyed that last play when the BSU man feigned the throw with his right and slipped the ball back with his left to his pal and the two other BSU guys blocking their two men and the guy who took the slipped pass steams in. That was good. I liked that. Good tactical stuff. You got any similar stuff to that? 8)
Yeah the "statue of liberty" play? Fun huh? You won't see risky plays like this in the NFL. BSU is one of the trickiest teams in College football, and is the "only" team in NCAA football that plays on blue turf.

Sure, I really like this one too..
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=o234kS2IuXU
DannyM wrote:And G, is that your team, BSU?
Yes.. That is where I attended my college years in the 80's. Plus my Dad was a professor there for over 30 years...

Boise State. It's in Idaho, a northern state in the U.S. that borders Canada...

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

DannyM wrote:
Gman wrote: And the music... Awesome.
Which music do you like?
A number of different bands... A lot of the 80's stuff.. Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, Duran Duran, Swing Out Sister, Incognito, Level 42...

You can't beat the Brits when it comes to music!!! :P