A Dear Friend Thinks They Know The Date of Christ's Return

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: A Dear Friend Thinks They Know The Date of Christ's Return

Post by jlay »

I think this statement shows how recklessly they have handled the Word.
In Revelation 16:15 Christ teaches that He, Himself, will come as a thief (see also Revelation 3:3). Christ obviously is not a thief. He is Holy God. But He and Judgment Day will come like a thief. In John 10:10 God describes what a thief does when he comes: “The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.”

Thus when Christ comes with Judgment Day, He comes to take away life and to destroy those for whom He comes as a thief.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Texasmomof3
Acquainted Member
Sex: Female

Post by Texasmomof3 »

Here is some more from their website:

A very common assertion is made, especially by those who are members of local churches, that Christ will come as a thief in the night. Thus, they contend that no one should be interested in attempting to learn from the Bible what God says about the timing of the end of the world.
These dear people are correct. The Bible does teach that for many people, Christ will come as a thief in the night. We read in I Thessalonians 5:2-3:
v
For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
But then the Bible says in verses 4-6:
But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
These verses are teaching that there are two kinds of people in the world who realize that this world will come to an end, at which time God will separate the saved from the unsaved. Both groups know that the unsaved will experience the full wrath of God, and that those who have become saved will be forever with Christ in the greatest happiness and glory.
One group includes many people who believe they are saved, but in reality, they are not saved. They are not aware that in our day, God has revealed, in the Bible, a great amount of information that relates to the timeline of history, all the way to the end of the world, and they do not care to try to learn all that the Bible teaches. They are confident that they have become saved, and therefore, it really makes no difference when Christ will come. For them, He will come as a thief in the night. But sadly, these verses teach that when Christ comes, “sudden destruction” will come upon them. By their lack of interest in wanting to know as much as possible about what the Bible teaches, they are demonstrating that they are not saved, and they are still subject to the awful wrath of God.
But there are also many people who, because of their love and respect for the Bible, have learned that the Bible gives much information about the timeline of history. Thus, they have learned a great many details concerning end-time events, as well as the timetable of these events. The Bible speaks of them as “watchmen” (Ezekiel 33:2-9), in that they are able to warn the unsaved of the world of the impending end of the world, which is so near.
This book was written so that hopefully, you, too, will realize the absolute seriousness of the predicament the world is in. There is no way to change the plan of God for the end of the world. However, it is possible that you, too, could be one of those who will escape the wrath of God through the mercy of His wonderful salvation.
In this book we will look briefly at God's actions throughout the history of the world, as God unfolds His salvation plan to the world. We shall
particularly focus on the final period of earth's history, when two great events simultaneously happening. These events are the completion of God's judgment process, and the saving of the great multitude of people, which no man could number.

By carefully studying the whole Bible, we have learned that the Bible is not only a law book that sets forth all the laws by which God governs all mankind, but it is also a book that is given to mankind so that they can know God's timeline of history. We read in Ecclesiastes 8:5-7:
Whoso keepeth the commandment shall feel no evil thing: and a wise man's heart discerneth both time and judgment. Because to every purpose there is time and judgment, therefore the misery of man is great upon him. For he knoweth not that which shall be: for who can tell him when it shall be?
In these verses, the word “judgment” is a synonym for the word “law.” Thus, it is teaching that by studying the Bible, the true believer not only learns God's laws, particularly as they relate to God's judgment process, but also, he learns much about God's timetable for the earth.
For that reason, the true believer can know much about the timetable of history, including many truths about the timing of the end of the world. For those who do not follow the Biblical method of Bible interpretation, however, Christ will come as a thief in the night. Instantly, their misery will be enormously compounded when they realize, too late, that the end of the world has come. No longer will there be mercy or grace or salvation for the unsaved. Thus, we read in I Thessalonians 5:2-6:
For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night

And we read in Revelation 3:3:
Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on
thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
In these verses, God is teaching us that those who read the Bible are divided in two kinds of people. There are those who are satisfied with their present understanding of their relationship with God. They know that someday the world will end, but their understanding is that the timetable of the last day is known only by God. Therefore, they think that mankind need not be concerned about it. For them, Christ indeed will come as a thief in the night. However, His coming for these individuals is for the purpose of destroying them. How awful!

How awful to me is that anyone could believe this stuff!! So, they think that anyone who doesn't beleive that this is the time, that in spite of lving a Christian life, and having full faith in the Lord and that He died for our sins, that they will be banished to Hell anyway??

Thank you all for your support and comments, and if anyone has any good scriptures or points of reference that I could use to gently guide my friend back in the right direction, they would be DEEPLY appreciated!! And yes, I have mentioned that since Camping was wrong about 1994, why should I think he is correct in his date now? I'm trying to get him to agree that if everything is fine on May 22nd, he should not listen to this guy anymore, but haven't gotten an answer. I agree with you, jlay, on the scripture you referenced!
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

It is odd that they quote 1 Thess. When one reason Paul wrote 2 Thess was to correct their misinterpreting 1 Thess. The church there had stopped their work thinking the day of the Lord had already come.

The best way to identify a cult is usually this dogmatic belief that salvation is not by faith alone in Christ alone, but by belonging to a particular church or church teaching. This group is clearly saying that faith is not enough. You must subscribe to the tenets of this group. In this case the tenet is setting a specific date to the end times.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
touchingcloth
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by touchingcloth »

Texasmomof3 wrote:My friend listens to a radio station where they talk about the world ending on May 21st, 2011.
You could ask your friend if they'd be so kind as to sign a contract that gives you ownership of all their assets on May 22nd, 2011?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

touchingcloth wrote:You could ask your friend if they'd be so kind as to sign a contract that gives you ownership of all their assets on May 22nd, 2011?
Oh...I like that idea! :thumbsup:

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

:lol:
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
PaulB007
Recognized Member

Post by PaulB007 »

touchingcloth wrote:
Texasmomof3 wrote:My friend listens to a radio station where they talk about the world ending on May 21st, 2011.
You could ask your friend if they'd be so kind as to sign a contract that gives you ownership of all their assets on May 22nd, 2011?
Lol, this guy pops out some real gems. Gotta love touchingcloth. ;)
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

touchingcloth wrote:
Now *there's* an idea... :lol:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
youngmatt
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by youngmatt »

Lol I like what Touchingcloth said, even tho that wouldn't be right, and it will be sad if they do give away all their possessions.
Thank Jesus for dying on the cross for ours sins!!!