I Don't Understand Atheism

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: I Don't Understand Atheism

Post by Gman »

And of course.. Not to mention that Jerusalem happens to be very close to some major fault lines. The biggest being in the Dead Sea called the "The Great Rift Valley."

And not to mention that it is due for another one soon..

"Now, a geological survey says the heart of biblical narrative, Jerusalem's walled Old City, would be among the worst hit parts of the city in the event of another earthquake because it rests on layers of debris, not solid rock."

"The Great Rift Valley runs for 3,000 miles between Syria and Mozambique and passes through the Dead Sea, below Jerusalem's eastern hills. The fault line was caused by the separation of African and Eurasian tectonic plates 35 million years ago, a split that weakened the Earth's crust.

About 35 miles to the north, another fault line cuts the land east to west from the Mediterranean port of Haifa with the West Bank towns of Jenin and Nablus before reaching the Jordan River.

"This is a very active area which may produce a large earthquake once in a while," Bein said.

Two weeks ago, a small 3.7 magnitude earthquake was measured in the Dead Sea region but caused no damage.

The Bible recounts a number of earthquakes here. Some scholars reckon a quake may have been behind the shower of brimstone and fire that engulfed Sodom and Gomorrah.

Just after Jesus succumbed on a wooden cross, "the earth shook and the rocks were split," inspiring awe and faith in the Roman centurion and other onlookers who "saw the earthquake" (Matthew 27:51-54)."

Source: //www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3980139/
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Re: I Don't Understand Atheism - Update:

Is the OP any the wiser? :)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

DannyM wrote:Re: I Don't Understand Atheism - Update:

Oh yes.. There is no God and there is no evidence of the claims in the Bible.. Like Jesus being a true person and earthquakes and such.. ;)

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Gman wrote:
DannyM wrote:Re: I Don't Understand Atheism - Update:

Oh yes.. There is no God and there is no evidence of the claims in the Bible.. Like Jesus being a true person and earthquakes and such.. ;)
You've only just found this out? Hey, I always knew this; if I can't see, touch, smell, hear or taste something, then it don't exist! Obvious, innit? :lol:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

DannyM wrote: You've only just found this out? Hey, I always knew this; if I can't see, touch, smell, hear or taste something, then it don't exist! Obvious, innit? :lol:
Even if you could by the 5 senses, some would still deny it because it isn't cool... God could come and blow himself up in a huge mushroom cloud for that matter and still they wouldn't believe.

You see.. UFO's are the cool stuff. Not the Bible and God.. ;)

DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Gman wrote:
DannyM wrote: You've only just found this out? Hey, I always knew this; if I can't see, touch, smell, hear or taste something, then it don't exist! Obvious, innit? :lol:
Even if you could by the 5 senses, some would still deny it because it isn't cool... God could come and blow himself up in a huge mushroom cloud for that matter and still they wouldn't believe.

You see.. UFO's are the cool stuff. Not the Bible and God.. ;)

Oh yeah now that's cool ;)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Dazed and Confused
Established Member

Post by Dazed and Confused »

Gman wrote: The curtain split from top to bottom, Mark 15:38.. So basically, during the earthquake at Christ's crucifixion, it was the stones that caused the curtain to split.. The massive weight of the overhead stones (above the curtain) fracturing did the work.

Isn't that fascinating?
Wow I didn't realize all that was in the New Testament. Thanks for the systems check. Ha ha God's word is infinite in so many different ways. :lol:
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Dazed and Confused
Established Member

Gman wrote:Just after Jesus succumbed on a wooden cross, "the earth shook and the rocks were split," inspiring awe and faith in the Roman centurion and other onlookers who "saw the earthquake" (Matthew 27:51-54)."
The book of Zechariah also states that when Jesus returns His feet well touch upon the Mount of Olives splitting it in two, "In that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, which is in front of Jerusalem on the east; and the Mount of Olives will be split in its middle from east to west by a very large valley, so that half of the mountain will move toward the north and the other half toward the south." Last I heard there was a fault line running east to west right through the Mount of Olives. But I have never read any thing official about this fault line. I'd look it up right now, but my wife has me helping with the housework and she is starting to give me that look. :evil: Maybe later.

Cool stuff Gman and yes atheism is dead!
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Dazed and Confused wrote:atheism is dead!
Lol, I like that ... a lot.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Byblos wrote:
Dazed and Confused wrote:atheism is dead!
Lol, I like that ... a lot.
Atheism was never alive in the first place anyway... :P

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Dazed and Confused wrote:
Gman wrote:Just after Jesus succumbed on a wooden cross, "the earth shook and the rocks were split," inspiring awe and faith in the Roman centurion and other onlookers who "saw the earthquake" (Matthew 27:51-54)."
The book of Zechariah also states that when Jesus returns His feet well touch upon the Mount of Olives splitting it in two, "In that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, which is in front of Jerusalem on the east; and the Mount of Olives will be split in its middle from east to west by a very large valley, so that half of the mountain will move toward the north and the other half toward the south." Last I heard there was a fault line running east to west right through the Mount of Olives. But I have never read any thing official about this fault line. I'd look it up right now, but my wife has me helping with the housework and she is starting to give me that look. :evil: Maybe later.

Cool stuff Gman and yes atheism is dead!
The main one is "The Great Rift Valley." Not sure about the Mount of Olives.. But as msnbc stated..

"Now, a geological survey says the heart of biblical narrative, Jerusalem's walled Old City, would be among the worst hit parts of the city in the event of another earthquake because it rests on layers of debris, not solid rock."

Hmmm. Let's break this off into another topic...

RollingStone
Newbie Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by RollingStone »

Silvertusk wrote:I mean we may all be wrong - but at least we hope for something better. It truely baffles me.
Gman wrote:Well I don't understand atheism either or why someone would want to go that route.. Nor do I wish to.. :P
It's about truth. Atheism isn't something you choose; it's simply the logical conclusion drawn after studying the (lack of) evidence.
Dazed and Confused
Established Member

RollingStone wrote:It's about truth. Atheism isn't something you choose; it's simply the logical conclusion drawn after studying the (lack of) evidence.
Yes it's all about truth, but I dunno biblically speaking it seems most atheist conclusions are drawn from taking scripture out of context. Interesting enough is that Jesus Christ came as a testimony to the truth, "For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice."
Jesus Christ is truth.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

RollingStone wrote:It's about truth. Atheism isn't something you choose; it's simply the logical conclusion drawn after studying the (lack of) evidence.
Hmm, can you show me how this is a logically valid statement?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RollingStone wrote:
Gman wrote:Well I don't understand atheism either or why someone would want to go that route.. Nor do I wish to.. :P
It's about truth. Atheism isn't something you choose; it's simply the logical conclusion drawn after studying the (lack of) evidence.
Chance is not scientific... It certainly can't create life. But it could with your faith..