Morals without god/the bible

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Morals without god/the bible

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

DannyM wrote:Have you [atheist sweetadeline] read the whole bible? Have you read all the extra-biblical sources? Have you read all the non-Christian sources? Please, give me a resounding Yes to all of these ...
Each new proof of God's sovereignty didn't convince Pharaoh (see Exodus 5,6,7,8,9,10,11...) because his heart was hardened. Indeed, each new bit of evidence that God had everything in control was answered by more defiance on the part the Egyptian monarch.

Do you see the parallels between Pharaoh and this (or any) atheist?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
sweetadeline112358
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by sweetadeline112358 »

DannyM wrote:Have you read all the extra-biblical sources? Have you read all the non-Christian sources?
Have you? No. This works both ways.
sweetadeline112358
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by sweetadeline112358 »

B. W. wrote:
sweetadeline112358 wrote: Why do you think the Flying Spaghetti Monster is supposed to disprove the existence of God?
Because that is the premise of your argument....

No, this is not the premise of my argument. I was showing you the conclusion of one specific argument you made (localized to the context of that specific assertion). I wonder how you would have responded if I had listed a set of 3 entirely different entities out of the infinite list. I think the misunderstanding is one of context / scope. You can continue to frame this however you wish, but I am losing interest. I have no interest in being coerced to defend arguments or positions that are not my own.
August
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

sweetadeline112358 wrote:Well, let's have your a posteriori proof that Jesus is God! You still have no presented it to me!

You have to make up your mind whether we are talking about the existence of Jesus (a man), or the existence of Jesus (a god-entity). Therein lies part of the confusion. Are we debating about a god, or a man? For you it's both, so there is ambiguity where you believe that if you justify the existence of a man, that automatically justifies the existence of a deity-like entity.
No ambiguity.

The aposteriori proofs of Jesus' deity are easily summarized in a progressive chain of evidence:
1. Historical evidence that such a person as Jesus existed
2. Prophecies referring to the Messiah, and their fulfillment
3. Evidence for the resurrection
4. The character of Christ and His claims of deity
5. The propositional argument of God becoming man
6. Reaching a conclusion based on the evidence from 1-5...Jesus was lying, crazy or God.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

sweetadeline112358 wrote:
DannyM wrote:Have you read all the extra-biblical sources? Have you read all the non-Christian sources?
Have you? No. This works both ways.
To my knowledge, Yes, I have. Post some extra-biblical and non-Christian sources for Jesus and I'll tell you truthfully whether or not I have read them. I'll ask again: Have you read all sources (to your knowledge) for Jesus? Have you weighed all the evidence? Do you think non-Christian sources would willingly describe Jesus as God? You really need to answer these questions if you are to avoid falling flat on your face.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
DannyM wrote:Have you [atheist sweetadeline] read the whole bible? Have you read all the extra-biblical sources? Have you read all the non-Christian sources? Please, give me a resounding Yes to all of these ...
Each new proof of God's sovereignty didn't convince Pharaoh (see Exodus 5,6,7,8,9,10,11...) because his heart was hardened. Indeed, each new bit of evidence that God had everything in control was answered by more defiance on the part the Egyptian monarch.

FL
Fl, are you likening my efforts to banging my head against a wall of bricks? 8)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Manfer84
Recognized Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Manfer84 »

DannyM wrote:

FL
Ok. Just my two cents, but didn't God hardened the Pharaoh's heart? According to the Bible?
Manfer84
Recognized Member

Post by Manfer84 »

August wrote:
sweetadeline112358 wrote:Well, let's have your a posteriori proof that Jesus is God! You still have no presented it to me!

You have to make up your mind whether we are talking about the existence of Jesus (a man), or the existence of Jesus (a god-entity). Therein lies part of the confusion. Are we debating about a god, or a man? For you it's both, so there is ambiguity where you believe that if you justify the existence of a man, that automatically justifies the existence of a deity-like entity.
No ambiguity.

The aposteriori proofs of Jesus' deity are easily summarized in a progressive chain of evidence:
1. Historical evidence that such a person as Jesus existed
2. Prophecies referring to the Messiah, and their fulfillment
3. Evidence for the resurrection
4. The character of Christ and His claims of deity
5. The propositional argument of God becoming man
6. Reaching a conclusion based on the evidence from 1-5...Jesus was lying, crazy or God.

1. Historical evidence that such a person as Jesus existed. Ok there's evidence, not much but enough to say he existed (Jesus as a Man)
2. Prophecies referring to the Messiah, and their fulfilment. Where are these prophecies besides the Bible? Any other references?
3. Evidence for the resurrection. What evidence besides the Bible?
4. The character of Christ and His claims of deity. What evidence besides the Bible?
5. The propositional argument of God becoming man. Again where besides the Bible.

For what I've read, most of your claims have the Bible as their only reference. Are there any non-biblical sources for any of this claims?. I've found some about Jesus (http://www.rationalchristianity.net/jesus_extrabib.html) but not much else. Can you point me in the right direction?
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

This is a straw man.

You presume the bible is one book, when in fact that bible is a collection of 66 books, which includes prophetic writings alluding to the messiah, and eye witness testimony showing the fulfillment.

So, you built your argument with the preconceived notion that the bible is not reliable to answer such questions. You are saying in essence, that the evidence can't be evidence if it is the only evidence.
Last edited by jlay on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Manfer84
Recognized Member

Post by Manfer84 »

I know the Bible is composed of many book written at different points in history by different people and in some cases have been change over time. What I´m asking is if books that compose the Bible are the source and the evidence for the claims posted August or are there any other extra-bible sources?
Last edited by Manfer84 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Manfer84 wrote:I know the Bible is composed of many book written at different points in history by different people and in some cases have been change over time. What I´m asking is if books that compose the Bible are the source and the evidence for the claims posted or are there any other extra-bible sources?
You already have a thread asking this question, and it was answered.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Manfer84
Recognized Member

Post by Manfer84 »

DannyM wrote:
Manfer84 wrote:I know the Bible is composed of many book written at different points in history by different people and in some cases have been change over time. What I´m asking is if books that compose the Bible are the source and the evidence for the claims posted or are there any other extra-bible sources?
You already have a thread asking this question, and it was answered.
Thanks, I'll look for it.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

DannyM wrote:

FL
Not really. What you - and others - are doing here is more like throwing pearls to swine. Matthew 7:6

All atheists are hostile towards God, some more than others. When it becomes obvious that an atheist's goal is to argue, not to learn, the best course is to ignore them. Each answer you give an overtly hostile atheist reinforces their sense of superiority over you.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

So was Saul....

You never know what seeds you are planting....you can't be so....determined to belive that all are sealed
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Manfer84 wrote:
DannyM wrote:

FL
Ok. Just my two cents, but didn't God hardened the Pharaoh's heart? According to the Bible?
Doesn't the Sun harden clay?