Morals without god/the bible

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Morals without god/the bible

Post by Kurieuo »

Manfer84 wrote:3. Evidence for the resurrection. What evidence besides the Bible?
Debates are good: RESURRECTION DEBATE: William Lane Craig & Bart D. Ehrman

Also, why should we be forbidden from treating the books of the Bible on their own as historical texts, then applying the same methods we do to any other historial text? Have you explored what can be drawn from these books and manuscripts if we do that, or do you just blanketly rule out anything in the Bible because some consider it a religious book? How does that make any sense.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

zoegirl wrote:
You never know what seeds you are planting....you can't be so....determined to belive that all are sealed
There is a world of difference between a person who is curious (therefore: willing to understand) and someone who is being obstinate.

obstinate: 1: pertinatiously adhering to an opinion, purpose, or course: not yeilding to reason, arguments or other means... (-Merriam Webster Dictionary)

Can you - a teacher - teach an obstinate child? Can a stubborn person be reasoned? Can the unyielding yield?

Some unbelievers who post here seem forthright & honest (Manfer comes to mind.) As for the others...I think they have left the helm and are on autopilot.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Manfer84
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Manfer84 »

Kurieuo wrote:
Manfer84 wrote:
DannyM wrote:
Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
DannyM wrote:Have you [atheist sweetadeline] read the whole bible? Have you read all the extra-biblical sources? Have you read all the non-Christian sources? Please, give me a resounding Yes to all of these ...
Each new proof of God's sovereignty didn't convince Pharaoh (see Exodus 5,6,7,8,9,10,11...) because his heart was hardened. Indeed, each new bit of evidence that God had everything in control was answered by more defiance on the part the Egyptian monarch.

Do you see the parallels between Pharaoh and this (or any) atheist?

FL
Fl, are you likening my efforts to banging my head against a wall of bricks? 8)
Ok. Just my two cents, but didn't God hardened the Pharaoh's heart? According to the Bible?
Doesn't the Sun harden clay?
I don´t understand that phrase, it's the sun “nature” to harden clay, is it God's nature to harden hearts?
What I understood from the Pharaoh's story is that every time Moses was about to convince him, God made his heart harden in order for the pharaoh to say no to him.
So by Fürstentum Liechtenstein post I would conclude that god is making me a stronger atheist. Or am I reading it wrong?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Manfer84 wrote:So by Fürstentum Liechtenstein post I would conclude that god is making me a stronger atheist. Or am I reading it wrong?
God hardened Pharaoh's heart because Pharaoh had already hardened his. God can use evil for a purpose, that doesn't mean he created evil.

So how much have you hardened your heart?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Manfer84 wrote:...So by Fürstentum Liechtenstein post I would conclude that god is making me a stronger atheist. Or am I reading it wrong?
You would not be here if your heart was really concrete...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

If you want a hard heart, God will oblige.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Manfer84
Recognized Member

Post by Manfer84 »

Byblos wrote:
Manfer84 wrote:So by Fürstentum Liechtenstein post I would conclude that god is making me a stronger atheist. Or am I reading it wrong?
God hardened Pharaoh's heart because Pharaoh had already hardened his. God can use evil for a purpose, that doesn't mean he created evil.

“God hardened Pharaoh's heart because Pharaoh had already hardened his. God can use evil for a purpose, that doesn't mean he created evil.”

I don't understand this. What I think you are saying is because the Pharaoh had hardened his heart (in not letting the Jews go) God make it even harder?
So instead of softened the guy up so he would let “his” people go, he made him more resilient to do it?. Is that right or am I missing something?

And who said anything about evil?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Manfer84 wrote:
Byblos wrote:

I don't understand this. What I think you are saying is because the Pharaoh had hardened his heart (in not letting the Jews go) God make it even harder?
So instead of softened the guy up so he would let “his” people go, he made him more resilient to do it?. Is that right or am I missing something?
What I mean is that as an Omnipotent God, He foreknew from before creation that Pharaoh's heart will not soften so he used him appropriately.
Manfer84 wrote:And who said anything about evil?
My point is that God will use things to further his purpose. It doesn't necessarily mean He is the cause of them.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

There is more than one view on what God did when He, 'hardened Pharaohs heart.'

There are some that take a literal interpretation that God, literally influenced the outlook and feelings of Pharaoh. Some would take exception to that. I'll leave that up to you to decide. But the answer will ultimately be decided by how your interpret this scripture. Not a bad topic for a thread.

In searching for God, He has made it clear in His word that He is evident enough for all to find. Yet, He is also mysterious enough, for anyone to dismiss and reject. And the difference is in the condition of the heart of the individual.

You've been asked a question, "So how much have you hardened your heart?"
What this is really asking, is how open are you, really, to submitting yourself to the faith that the bible is true, and that God revealed within, is real. Not so much that you just lay down in surrender. But, are you open to the idea that your entire world view could be torn down and replaced. Or, have you built up walls of resistance with questions that are loaded to deny a plausible answer. Atheism is replete with such things.

Everyone has questions. No one here would suggest that you simply abandon your brain. But often we encounter those who have built up straw men, or started with a faulty premise, and in doing so can not be satisfied. No answer will suffice, because the question sets them up for failure. The key is in the heart of the one questioning. Is it sincere, or antagonistic.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Manfer84 wrote:
Byblos wrote:

“God hardened Pharaoh's heart because Pharaoh had already hardened his. God can use evil for a purpose, that doesn't mean he created evil.”

You are dealing with God who knows everything about a person, every detail, before any person ever was. With this far reaching insight, he knew Pharaoh would ultimately reject God. Pharaoh's heart was already hard and God simply obliged him. That is what it means by God hardening Pharaoh's heart — he obliged him.

Foreknowing everything about him God raised him up for the purposes of his own will. Every person's heart is hard through sin. Pharaoh would not allow his heart to be changed by God and God hardened — obliged this - Then made a spectacle out of him. Pharaoh was not an automaton nor was he a puppet. He wanted nothing to with God and acted upon this. God can most certainly use such people for his own purposes without any inequity.

You are not Pharaoh. God foreknew you would be here — writing on this forum. What do you think he is trying to tell you? Oblige God by having him soften your heart as he did for many here writing to you this very day.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Manfer84 wrote:
K wrote:Doesn't the Sun harden clay?
I don´t understand that phrase, it's the sun “nature” to harden clay, is it God's nature to harden hearts?
Isn't it more the nature of clay, its moistness, the reason why it becomes hardened? The Sun is said to harden clay, however it's not necessarily the Sun's fault it becomes hardened, it is just so.

Likewise Pharaoh's heart was hardened because of his own nature, and God used that for His own purpose.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I've found it's generally better to take people one at a time. Just because someone seems hard and obstinate on the outside doesn't mean the inside isn't taking something in or that some change may tnot ake place in the future. Just because someone seems easy and amiable on the outside doesn't mean their heart is open and willing to change.

God never called upon us to judge whether unbelievers are worth the effort or not. He simply calls on us to sow the seed. We aren't even responsible for the result. It is the Holy Spirit who draws hearts toward God.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Manfer84
Recognized Member

Post by Manfer84 »

B. W. wrote:
Manfer84 wrote:
Byblos wrote:

You are dealing with God who knows everything about a person, every detail, before any person ever was. With this far reaching insight, he knew Pharaoh would ultimately reject God. Pharaoh's heart was already hard and God simply obliged him. That is what it means by God hardening Pharaoh's heart — he obliged him.

Foreknowing everything about him God raised him up for the purposes of his own will. Every person's heart is hard through sin. Pharaoh would not allow his heart to be changed by God and God hardened — obliged this - Then made a spectacle out of him. Pharaoh was not an automaton nor was he a puppet. He wanted nothing to with God and acted upon this. God can most certainly use such people for his own purposes without any inequity.

You are not Pharaoh. God foreknew you would be here — writing on this forum. What do you think he is trying to tell you? Oblige God by having him soften our heart as he did for many here writing to you this very day.
-
-
-
You may have a point there B.W. sounds kind of right; I was just puzzled by the whole Pharaoh thing because I read it not so long ago and the phase Exodus10:20 “But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, so that he would not let the children of Israel go.” Sounded to me like God was making the Pharaoh say no. Guess I misinterpreted the verse.

Of course I'm not Pharaoh, but it would be cool right? He must've had some pretty nice perks. (JOKE!) :P
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Manfer84 wrote:Of course I'm not Pharaoh, but it would be cool right? He must've had some pretty nice perks. (JOKE!)
Perks? Oh yeah! one of the perks was that he had to marry his sister and make babies with her...yuck!

Another perk was that you knew you were divine - a god! - and here lies a hint as to why Pharaoh's heart would be hardened by God: if you knew you were divine, if your society and priests recognized you as divine, what would you think of Moses' request? Moses, the head of a bunch of enslaved brick-makers - Losers! - comes to you and insists that your Divine Majesty allow him to take all your hebrew subjects into the desert to worship another god. The God of the Losers even has the audacity to threaten you with plagues!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pound:

Of course, Pharaoh's heart would be hardened. It was hardened by Pharaoh's own contempt of God's people, God's prophet, and God's request. Now you will be able to understand this metaphore:
Kurieuo wrote:Doesn't the Sun harden clay?
As the same sun will harden clay and soften ice cream, the same God will harden the unrepentant heart and soften the believer's heart. Your attitude towards God makes the difference.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
sweetadeline112358
Acquainted Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by sweetadeline112358 »

B. W. wrote:POTENTIAL ENTITIES most definitely implies - potential as meaning non-existent. Don't mince words...
No, potential as in the class of things that can't be guaranteed to not exist. I understand what you are saying; I was trying to paraphrase the concept another way (here I was trying for less formality). The most precise phrasing would probably be “entities that exist or do not exist”. That's a really really long list though, and that's what I want to get at. This is why we all rely on a posteriori reasoning, despite the limitations.

The rest of this particular message I won't address, since it's actually hilarious to me the way you have framed this (that my entire world-view is entirely a priori). I don't think that the good feelings you get when you go to church or read the Bible are really accurate examples of “knowledge derived from the senses”.