Catholic Priest

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Alanna
Familiar Member

Post by Alanna »

I hope the next Pope doesn't allow marrige for priests...my personal opinion...Although the Cathechism of the Catholic Church talks about celibecy(#1579)

I found this in an article I was reading, and although it concerns the Da vinci code, I think, in a way, it can relate to this topic.

"He explained that some voluntarily refrain from marrying in order to be fully consecrated to God. He says that they "have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake" (Matt. 19:12). He portrays voluntary abstention from marriage as the highest form of consecration, and as the spiritual leader of the Christian movement, it would be strange for him to hold up such a standard if he himself did not meet it."

I think that pretty much says it all for me.
Last edited by Alanna on Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LittleShepherd
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by LittleShepherd »

I see the verses, and it has nothing to do with celibacy. It simply states that you are to love Christ most. And you know as well as I do that you can do so even if you're married and have children. In fact, doing so is the only way to successfully love your wife the way Christ intended, and to successfully raise your children the way Christ intended.

The thing is, the requirement that priests be celibate is wrong. It's forcing them to make sacrifices that God may not be calling them to make -- it's really not their place to say. As I said before -- having the gifts and calling to be a church leader(of any kind, including priest) has nothing to do with celibacy.

While there is nothing wrong with being celibate, there is everything wrong with denying someone access to a leadership position because their celibacy status doesn't mesh with your tradition -- it's not a Biblical requirement; therefore nobody else has the right or the authority to make it required.
LittleShepherd
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by LittleShepherd »

Alanna wrote:"He explained that some voluntarily refrain from marrying in order to be fully consecrated to God. He says that they "have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake" (Matt. 19:12). He portrays voluntary abstention from marriage as the highest form of consecration, and as the spiritual leader of the Christian movement, it would be strange for him to hold up such a standard if he himself did not meet it."

I think that pretty much says it all for me.
'

All it says to me is that some people decided to be celibate so they could focus more on Christ. It says nothing about them being church leaders, or that being a requirement for church leadership. It's not even implied.

And no, he didn't portray it as the "highest form of consecration." He portrayed it as one example of voluntary devotion.

The problem with the RCC is that it's gone beyond having such celibacy be voluntary, and has made it mandatory in order to hold a number of positions -- none of which have celibacy as a Biblical requirement.

The fact of the matter is that God calls family men to also be men of the cloth, and vice versa. And no organization has the right or the authority to enfoce some tradition that says otherwise. The only options in the RCC are to either conform to their standards, potentially disobeying God and going counter to His will for your life in the process -- or leave.
Alanna
Familiar Member

Post by Alanna »

I found such a goldmine of information and I wish I could share it all. Unforturnately, I have limited time of the computer and many things I have yet to do. I will however, share my resources:
-Catholicism for Dummies, by Rev. John Trigilio and
Rev. Kenneth Brighenti
-Catholic and Christian, by Alan Schreck
-Radio Replies, by Rumble and Carty
-Life of Christ, by Fulton J. Sheen
-Documents of Vatican II
-Catechism of the Catholic Church
-The Bible

BIBLICAL BACKGROUND FOR CELIBACY

“Who said to them: All men take not this word, but they to whom it is given. For there are eunuchs, who were born so from their mothers womb: and there are eunuchs, who were made so by men: and there are eunuchs, who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven. He that can take, let him take it.” Matthew 19:7-8

All men take not this word. . .That is, all receive not the gift of living singly and chastely, unless they pray for the grace of God to enable them to live so, and for some it may be necessary to that end to fast as well as pray: and to those it is given from above.
There are eunuchs, who have made themselves eunuchs, for the kingdom of heaven. . .This text is not to be taken in the literal sense; but means, that there are such, who have taken a firm and commendable resolution of leading a single and chaste life, in order to serve God in a more perfect state than those who marry: as St. Paul clearly shows. 1 Cor. 7. 37, 38.
Matthew 19:13 (taken from catholicfirst.com)

“I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own special gift from God, one of a kind and one of another” (1 Corinthians 7:7)
(see also: 1 Corinthians 7: 32-35)

Both Jesus and Paul make it very clear that not everyone is called to celibacy. It is, however, '…a gift that enables a person to devote his or her undivided attention to the affairs of the Lord and his kingdom.'(Catholic and Christian, pg. 145)

The New testament and the Early Church saw celibacy as a gift. They did not frown upon it, nor merely tolerate it.

THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH AND CELIBACY

Like Dan already said, mandatory celibacy for the priesthood is only a discipline of the church, not a doctrine or a dogma(any pope could modify or dissolve it).

However, if mandatory celibacy were to be changed, modified, or ended, the following conditions (which are maintained by the Eastern Catholic Church concerning married clergy) would be observed.
“-Ending celibacy would only affect those yet to be ordained. Celibate priests who're already ordained wouldn't be aloud to marry.
-Seminarians would have to decide before ordination whether they wanted to be married. They would have to find a wife prior to their ordination or remain celibate.
-Anyone having aspirations to be ordained a bishop would have to remain celibate.”(Catholicism for Dummies, pg 219)