Beginning of Atheistic Thinking?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
A Y323
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Beginning of Atheistic Thinking?

Post by A Y323 »

Thanks for the comments everyone, I think I got what I was looking for.

I have another question then, if discussion on this topic is done. I'll ask it here since I don't think it would use a whole new thread.

Is it true that Christianity is the only religion with a God that cares about humans (aka a personal God)? I have not done any study of other religions, but I have heard that this is true.

Thanks again, this forum is very helpful! :ebiggrin:

Edit: how convenient, it started on a second page. :lol:
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Judaism...?
A Y323
Recognized Member

Post by A Y323 »

Yeah, that's true. I guess I just wasn't thinking about that when I asked the question because we have the same God. Christians just believe Jesus is the Messiah and Jews do not. Right?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

A Y323 wrote:Yeah, that's true. I guess I just wasn't thinking about that when I asked the question because we have the same God. Christians just believe Jesus is the Messiah and Jews do not. Right?
That's always tricky question to answer a strict yes/no response to.

If we look from God's perspective, God would see both as worshipping Him I suppose. However, what Christians perceive of God's nature is obviously very different to modern Judaism. God knows who He is, however Christ as Messiah and God is an obvious stumbling stone to many Jews.

Then you have all these off-shoot religions and cults that borrow from Judeo-Christian roots. Though, not necessarily all (e.g., Islam) believe God would lower Himself to get all personal with His creation.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

A Y323 wrote:Thanks for the comments everyone, I think I got what I was looking for.

I have another question then, if discussion on this topic is done. I'll ask it here since I don't think it would use a whole new thread.

Is it true that Christianity is the only religion with a God that cares about humans (aka a personal God)? I have not done any study of other religions, but I have heard that this is true.

Thanks again, this forum is very helpful! :ebiggrin:

Edit: how convenient, it started on a second page. :lol:
I have studied other religions in college.

In terms of monotheism yes.... Buddhists don't believe in a god outside but within. Hinduism teaches about multiple gods, but there is a supreme god called Brahman but he is not really a personal god. Muslims teach about Allah, but he never commands people to love.

Also about these other gods, they all require works. Christianity is the only religion that works on faith and not good works for salvation. And none of these gods will die for you either to express their love. That should give you a clue right there...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
A Y323
Recognized Member

Post by A Y323 »

Yes it does, thank you Gman. Was this an extensive course you took, or was it just a quick one-semester type class?

Thanks to Kurieuo too. I haven't studied Judaism, so it's always been my understanding that Jesus as Messiah is the basic difference between Christians and Jews. But now that you have me thinking about it, I remember reading in another thread here that Jews do not believe in the Trinity of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). They reject the Son (Jesus) and I'm not sure of their stance on the Holy Spirit, so do we really worship the same God? If they really reject the Trinity, then they have reduced God to a one-ness which would place Him on the same level as singular gods such as Zeus. That being the case, I would question whether it's okay to say we worship the same God.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

A Y323 wrote:Yes it does, thank you Gman. Was this an extensive course you took, or was it just a quick one-semester type class?
It was a semester class I took on the philosophy of religions... But then I got real curious about the other religions and have studied most of them. I think I own all the books, the Quran, Book of Mormon, Buddhist scriptures, etc..
A Y323 wrote:Thanks to Kurieuo too. I haven't studied Judaism, so it's always been my understanding that Jesus as Messiah is the basic difference between Christians and Jews. But now that you have me thinking about it, I remember reading in another thread here that Jews do not believe in the Trinity of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). They reject the Son (Jesus) and I'm not sure of their stance on the Holy Spirit, so do we really worship the same God? If they really reject the Trinity, then they have reduced God to a one-ness which would place Him on the same level as singular gods such as Zeus. That being the case, I would question whether it's okay to say we worship the same God.
I see it as a yes and no question for sure when it get's to the Trinity..

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
A Y323
Recognized Member

Post by A Y323 »

Gman wrote:I see it as a yes and no question for sure when it get's to the Trinity..
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean here...
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

A Y323 wrote:
Gman wrote:I see it as a yes and no question for sure when it get's to the Trinity..
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean here...
What I'm saying here is that while most Jewish scholars deny the Trinity in the OT, however, the Trinity does seem to be apparent in the OT.
While Trinitarian concepts are more explicitly laid out in the New Testament, they are implicitly revealed in the Old Testament. Clear intimations of Trinitarian concepts in the Hebrew Bible include:

1. The use of plural forms.

1. Pronouns, where God speaking, uses "us" and "our": Genesis 3:22 Genesis 11:7 Isaiah 6:8. The most important reference is Genesis 1:26-27; it is here where the plurality is used in connection with the very nature of God. This last reference is the most important (and compelling) one because here God uses plural forms in the context of his own "image and likeness."

2. The plural form for "Lord" used frequently in the Old Testament:'adonai ("Lord," literally, "my Masters"). The vowel in the last syllable of 'adonai was apparently lengthened by rabbis in the post-New Testament period. This is thought to have been done to sharpen the distinction between earthly lords and the Lord God.

3. The Old Testament had a singular term for God, Eloah, which they occasionally used, but the vast majority of the time the plural form of God, Elohim, is used throughout the Old Testament. Had there been only be two persons within God, the Hebrews could have used a dual form Elohiayim, which was typically (although not always) used of things that occured in pairs.

2. Usage of "one" in a composite sense.

1. Even though the Old Testament teaches that God is "one," (Deuteronomy 6:4) this does not conflict in any way with Trinitarian beliefs. On the contrary, it actually helps to affirm them. One of the most compelling examples in the Old Testament of the composite sense of "one" is found in Genesis 2:24. Two people (created in the "image" of God) become "one flesh" in the marriage union (and thus a sense of the "image" in a composite sense). The use of the Hebrew word for "one" (eXad) in other passages similarly demonstrates that this word means "one entity" rather than a strictly single, solitary thing.

3. Theophanies, where Christ appears in the form of the "Angel (or Messenger) of the Lord."

1. The Old Testament presents striking examples of a Being who, although He appears in the form of a man, acts and speaks like God and is referred to as God. Mysteriously, He is both identified as God and distinguished from God. We find this in passages such as Genesis 16:7-13; 18-19; 22:11-18; Exodus 3:2-6; 23:20-23; Judges 6:11-14, 20-22; 13:21-23). Note also how Zechariah 12:8 equates God and the Angel of the Lord. These Theophanies were prepartory for the incarnation in that they anticipated the coming of a Heavenly Visitor who would one day be both truly God and man.

4. The "Son" passages:

The Old Testament describes a Being who is uniquely a human-divine Son. In the light of the New Testament we see that Jesus in His Being is the fulfillment of the Son of Man, the Son of God, and the Son-King (of which Solomon was a foreshadowing).

1. Proverbs 30:4
2. Isaiah 9:6 He is a son and child, but also the "mighty God."
3. Psalm 2:7-12 (although the translation of "son" in verse 12 can be disputed) This Psalm describes a Son-King who receives the nations as His inheritance.
4. Daniel 7:13-14 This passage forms the background behind Christ's use of the Messianic title "Son of Man." Note that the contexts of Psalm 2 and Daniel 7 have identical strands of thought: the inheriting of all the kingdoms of the earth. The word "Son of Man" does not here mean "a mortal man"--one from among the "sons of men." The point here is not that the Person is perfectly human. The significance of the title "Son of Man' in this passage is fourfold:

+ His exalted personality as the One who comes from heaven and opposes the beastly human powers, which come from earth (Daniel 7:3)
+ His advent in conjunction with the reappearance of the theophanic glory cloud (7:13),
+ His free access to the 'One who is an ancient of days' (God the Father, 7:13), and
+ His universal and everlasting reign (7:14). (J. B. Payne, Theology of the Older Testament, p. 265.)

5. The use of pronouns suggesting more than one Person within God.

1. The LORD talking, uses both "Me" and "Him" referring to the same Being (Christ) in Zechariah 12:10
2. The Angel of the Lord speaking, uses both "from Me" and "fearer of God" in referring to the same entity (Genesis 22:12).

6. Passages that identify two Beings as God or LORD (YHWH).

1. Genesis 19:23 (YHWH in heaven versus YHWH on earth)
2. Psalm 45:6-7 (God referring to Another as "God")
3. Zechariah 3:1-2 (YHWH calling upon YHWH: "And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan"

7. The Holy Spirit is linked with God and given attributes of personality.

1. All three Persons of the Trinity can be seen in Isaiah 63:8-10, but most importantly we see here the personality of the Holy Spirit. He is "vexed, grieved" by disobedience. This verb in Hebrew is always used in conjuntion with persons (or God and gods); never of inanimate things.

In the Old Testament the essential components for the doctrine of the Trinity were all laid down. What may have been enigma to the Jews of the Old Testament was revealed in full splendor in the New Testament! In the providence of God working through church history. It was only a matter of time before believers began to systematize and articulate these passages into meaningful theological statements. How wonderful it is to trace the development of the doctrine of the Trinity, from the subtle, germinal forms in the OT to the full blossom of explicit NT truth. As we reflect on the fact of the Incarnation of the Lord Jesus Christ, may we also reflect upon the marvel, mystery, and wonder of the One we worship.
Source: http://www.biblicalresources.info/pages ... ityot.html

verily777
Newbie Member
Sex: Female

Post by verily777 »

A Y323 wrote:Hello everyone. I've often wondered when atheistic thinking (that is, the belief that neither our God nor any other god exists) really became a widely accepted concept.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I bring it up because I just recently came across someone who said this: "I think not believing in any specific god is the natural thing any of us would have done if our parents and/or society did not present the concept in front of us."

Everything I've learned (which admittedly is not much) tells me this is just completely wrong.

What do you guys think?

I could guess it is a short answer: Because of sin.
Matthew 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
We sin firstly againts the Lord our God. And more generations of people are not growing up in the faith, more sin. And sin leads to sin.
I grew up in a nonfaith home and while growing up, no one was witnessing to me. There were several things the Lord did, and then He brought some witnesses. I wasn't born again until I was 31 years old. I say this because for the most part, my experiences have been "Godless" for the majority of my life. Until I knew our Lord Jesus Christ, all I saw around me was sin, and more sin. I look back now and see how spiritually void I was of course, and many around me. This is happening all over the world.

And it's just as our Lord Jesus Christ told us would happen. And it will continue, sadly. We are to put Him first, but even in the USA, He is getting put 'last" in alot of circumstances.

Men are w/o excuse, His word tells us. Atheism is basically a lie. Because its a sin. (Love the Lord thy God). They choose not to; His creation is obvious.
John 3:19
This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

Romans 1: 18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

A Y323
Recognized Member

Post by A Y323 »

Gman wrote:What I'm saying here is that while most Jewish scholars deny the Trinity in the OT, however, the Trinity does seem to be apparent in the OT.
OK, I see what you mean now. I am aware of how the OT shows the Trinity (I am currently going through the study laid out in this thread), and I do believe that the Jews of the OT were aware of the Trinity. So, yes- I absolutely believe we worship the same God from the OT and He has not changed. But I'm not sure why modern Jews reject the Trinity.

Thank you for your post, verily777. I definitely think it would be hard to find our God living with a sinful family and sinful friends, especially with no witnesses. I am blessed to have been raised in a Christian family, but I have had plenty of Christian friends tell me how empty their lives felt before they knew God.
A Y323
Recognized Member

Post by A Y323 »

I don't know how this site feels about Dr. Hugh Ross and the Reasons to Believe website, but I found this article there that really fits with this topic:

http://www.reasons.org/resources/public ... _religions

The point that stuck out to me the most was number 3:
3. The satanic dimension: While some religions may be the mere product of human speculation, at least some forms of religion are actually energized by Satan and his minions (Matt. 24:24; 1 Cor. 10:14-22­).

Scripture indicates that Satan and demons (fellow angels who followed him in rebellion) stand behind pagan idolatry, actively blinding the minds of unbelievers. Their motive is to deceive mankind with a powerful spiritual counterfeit.
This stuck out to me because I was recently reading through the plagues on Egypt in Exodus, and I was really surprised to read that Pharaoh's "wise men" were able to duplicate some of the miracles that Moses and Aaron did.

10 So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did just as the LORD commanded. Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his officials, and it became a snake. 11 Pharaoh then summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things by their secret arts: 12 Each one threw down his staff and it became a snake. But Aaron's staff swallowed up their staffs. Exodus 7:10-12

20 Moses and Aaron did just as the LORD had commanded. He raised his staff in the presence of Pharaoh and his officials and struck the water of the Nile, and all the water was changed into blood. ... 22 But the Egyptian magicians did the same things by their secret arts Exodus 7:20 and 22

6 So Aaron stretched out his hand over the waters of Egypt, and the frogs came up and covered the land. 7 But the magicians did the same things by their secret arts; they also made frogs come up on the land of Egypt. Exodus 8:6-7

Would anyone care to comment on this?
Enginseer
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Enginseer »

One word to describe the rise of Atheism.

Globalisation.

When people started seeing the shear number of different religions, it became obvious to many that religion is just a fabrication of the human mind. Hence Atheism.
Pint
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Pint »

Good Morning,

First and foremost I wish to say I admire the premise of this site! I have read most, if not all, the articles presented in the non-forum area and while I do not agree with the conclusions I would not make the mistake of being unappreciative of people discussing and reviewing ideas that come from outside of ones "trusted" group.

For some reason this thread came up on a google search and I ended up reading it after I noticed that it is a forum attached to a web site I had previously visited. I would like to give some information regarding the original posters question.

A Y323 wrote:Hello everyone. I've often wondered when atheistic thinking (that is, the belief that neither our God nor any other god exists) really became a widely accepted concept.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I bring it up because I just recently came across someone who said this: "I think not believing in any specific god is the natural thing any of us would have done if our parents and/or society did not present the concept in front of us."
You stated correctly in a previous post that Atheism (well really any belief that differed from the majority opinion) was a punishable offense for a good majority of both ancient and relatively modern, and still some present day, societies. Socrates was made to drink poison as punishment for his questioning of citizens on the subject of the religion of their time. According to Plato (I have not read about this in years so I might not be 100% accurate) Socrates made no statement against the Greek gods but rather engaged fellow citizens in conversation regarding them, this alone was cause to have him put to death despite his reputation and the high regard many of his countrymen held him in. You of course have the inquisition which targeted pretty much everybody including other Christians, Jews and I am sure Atheists.

The earliest (true) Atheist that I am familiar with is Omar Khayyam, he did not simply question religion he out rite stated his rejection of it in all of its forms. He was a mathematician and astronomer and a poet from about 1,000 AD in Arabia. An all around da Vinci of his time and country. The really sad irony is that he was allowed to write and publish his poetry that claimed no divine force drove our universe deep with in Muslim lands because at the time Muslims exercised a degree of tolerance that was well before their time, I say this is sad because of how much of a polar shift they have done since the early part of their history. While I am at it some of you might find this interesting. Christians have much to be grateful for during this period of Islamic history! During the Europe's dark age much of early Christian documentation was preserved, and often faithfully recopied by hand when the original document was deteriorating. I have seen a list of "Christian" documents (I use quotes because some of them dealt with Christian belief but were from secular sources) that are known for fact to have survived during this time in Islamic libraries but can not recall the names, I am sure that with some googling if your interested in this it could be found on the internet somewhere. I would take this opportunity to ask people to consider this the next time the hear a fellow Christian mention any kind of intent of burning books, or otherwise destroying information out of hand. I attended a "book burning" event in Colorado a few years back, not because I have any intent of joining in on burning a copy of Harry Potter, but because I was curious. I nearly cried, not because of loosing a couple copies of an enjoyable book, but because of the absolute vileness and hate and ignorance and cowardice of the crowd.
A Y323 wrote:Thanks Danny.
Humanity has always looked for meaning, spiritual meaning that transcends strict empiricism and the illusion of pure reason. Contrary to your quote, which has a whiff of Dawkins about it, humanity has always been on such a quest.
I agree, and it seems pretty obvious to me even with the little study of history that I've done. So I'm curious why "life has no meaning" has (somewhat recently) become an acceptable answer to a lot of people.
Religion might very well be the source of ones main purpose, but to say Atheism takes purpose out of an Atheist's life is untrue. The acceptable answer, as you put it, is that an individual can propose ones own purpose. I am getting off track, but the long and short answer to your question is Atheism has "come out of the closet" with the separation of church and state that most of the western world now enjoys. That was not present in ancient Greece, was not present in Europe until a couple hundred years ago, of course the separation of church and state often gets the same consideration that spitting on sidewalks is given, but with society catching up to the idea and mostly embracing it it has opened the door for other belief (or lack of belief) systems to come about. Including Scientology which makes it *almost* seem a good idea to burn people at the stake again.

(the length of this post was absolutely not on purpose) Haha.

Well the time was not wasted if someone else stumbles on this post and enjoys it.

AMS
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

But the problm is that purposing one's purpose for person A may very well be different than the purpose of person and person A has no right's whatsoever in proclaiming his system correct.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"