Satans throne?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
verily777
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Satans throne?

Post by verily777 »

In bible study, we were reading Revelation and this verse came across that I didnt realize before. Jesus is talking about this church and where Satan has his throne. (Church of Pergamum)
Revelation 2:13
I know where you live—where Satan has his throne. Yet you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in me, even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city—where Satan lives.
I'm interested in studying more about, "where satan has his thone, and if its applicable for today, whether physical, or spiritual, etc) (hope these are not studid questions.. hehe) However, has anyone done an indepth study on this verse and/or have any links/resources? I've found several already, but it's always great to ask for more input from other brothers and sisters in the Lord.

I have questions, am just starting a more indepth study on this and I know I have tons of resources on the interent. But anyone who feels free to discuss and share any input on it, please feel free to bring up anything you've learned, and thank you in advance. :ebiggrin: y@};-

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Satans throne?

Post by B. W. »

verily777 wrote:In bible study, we were reading Revelation and this verse came across that I didnt realize before. Jesus is talking about this church and where Satan has his throne. (Church of Pergamum)
Revelation 2:13
I know where you live—where Satan has his throne. Yet you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in me, even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city—where Satan lives.
I'm interested in studying more about, "where satan has his thone, and if its applicable for today, whether physical, or spiritual, etc) (hope these are not studid questions.. hehe) However, has anyone done an indepth study on this verse and/or have any links/resources? I've found several already, but it's always great to ask for more input from other brothers and sisters in the Lord.

I have questions, am just starting a more indepth study on this and I know I have tons of resources on the interent. But anyone who feels free to discuss and share any input on it, please feel free to bring up anything you've learned, and thank you in advance. :ebiggrin: y@};-
Thanks for bringing this up> I never thought to much about this before so I did a brief study on the ancient history of Pergamos and found many things in common with how the bible describes the devil from Ezekiel 28:11-20 and elsewhere in the bible. It was a rich trading center, Founded upon political embezzlement and graft, it was a place of violence, and multi-diverse pagan healing cults, multi pagan religions, and worshiped the Egyptian god of the underworld using a snake symbol for this as well. It was a center for religious graft and exploitation too! Its political structure was corrupt due to the trade routes and wealth amassed and was a considered a cultural center for great knowledge including a 200,000 plus volume library for this purpose. The correlations to the characteristics to the devil are uncanny! It was also considered a beautiful city...

More later...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

I'll add another thing I found. That the city of Pergamos was an Artisan City attracting various artisans, actors, musicians, architects, sculptures, and such. This made me wonder that since the bible describes the devil and one who has pipes — musical instruments, crafts, and thus was in charge of beautiful stones, gems, etc, that he can use such venues for diabolical purposes? Maybe the 1/3 angels that followed the devil into rebellion were the artisan kind of angelic beings??? Not sure of this, but it is rather interesting to speculate on but pure guess work nevertheless so get your grain of salt!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
stealthpengu
Newbie Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by stealthpengu »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pergamon_Altar

This is what Revelations is referencing. Basically, a huge altar/temple dedicated to Zeus/the Greek gods