So what do we think of the shroud of turin

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
jezzer
Familiar Member

So what do we think of the shroud of turin

Post by jezzer »

Well for me its a step forward watching the programe made me think about it more,Everytime i watch it i get more out of it i do belive the shroud was jesus.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: So what do we think of the shroud of turin

Post by Gman »

jezzer wrote:Well for me its a step forward watching the programe made me think about it more,Everytime i watch it i get more out of it i do belive the shroud was jesus.
I've seen the shows. It's more of a curiosity for me.. I wouldn't hang your faith on it however.. Most likely a fake but more testing is needed perhaps..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
jezzer
Familiar Member

Post by jezzer »

Errr how could it be a fake? As all the tests has been done,What programe have you watched?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Gman wrote: It's more of a curiosity for me.. I wouldn't hang your faith on it however.. Most likely a fake but more testing is needed perhaps..
Ditto for me. Somehow I doubt the shroud is genuine because «[Jesus] had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.» (Isa 53:2) The shroud's imprint is of a hulking bear-of-a-man, an impressive-looking guy whatever the epoch.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

Personally i didnt think He looked very handsome ( sorry Lord :lol: ) it may be that you, FL, find the picture in the shroud mesmerizing because it could be what He really looks like y:-? you never know..only time will tell. Ive got to say this hold up waay more than the "noah's ark" discovery recently, but hey ..thats just my 2 cents. :ebiggrin:
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Ditto for me. Somehow I doubt the shroud is genuine because «[Jesus] had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.» (<A class=lbsBibleRef href="http://bible.logos.com/passage/esv/Isa%2053.2" target=_blank lbsReference="Isa 53.2|ESV">Isa 53:2</A>) The shroud's imprint is of a hulking bear-of-a-man, an impressive-looking guy whatever the epoch.

FL
What?
The shroud on its own, is a vague impression of a man, whose arms are stretched out of joint and who bears the scars of scourging and crucifixion. From where do you get the 'hulking, bear-of-a-man?"
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

jlay wrote:The shroud on its own, is a vague impression of a man, whose arms are stretched out of joint and who bears the scars of scourging and crucifixion. From where do you get the 'hulking, bear-of-a-man?"
My brother-in-law has a life-size picture of the shroud in his house. The contrast of the imprint has been enhanced to show detail. The imprint is of a strongly-built muscular man about 1,8m (6ft) tall. I would guess his weight at 90kg/200lbs, all muscle.
CeT-To wrote:Personally i didnt think He looked very handsome ( sorry Lord :lol: ) it may be that you, FL, find the picture in the shroud mesmerizing because it could be what He really looks like y:-? you never know..only time will tell. Ive got to say this hold up waay more than the "noah's ark" discovery recently, but hey ..thats just my 2 cents. :ebiggrin:
I don't find the Shroud of Turin mesmerizing! If I told you what I really think about the shroud one of the moderators would censor me...

FL
Last edited by Furstentum Liechtenstein on Sat May 15, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
jezzer
Familiar Member

Post by jezzer »

There is no way you can tell how big the person was on the shroud,The poster has been enhanced so it could be seen,How about taking a picture of your brothers poster so we can see it?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

jezzer wrote:There is no way you can tell how big the person was on the shroud,The poster has been enhanced so it could be seen,How about taking a picture of your brothers poster so we can see it?
You can get all the information you want about the shroud as well as zillions of pictures just by googling Shroud of Turin.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Couple of things to keep in mind.
There is very little scholorship on the height of the figure, but estimates range from 5'11" to 6'1".
The shroud is a 2-D image. Even after all this research no one can say how the image on the shroud was formed with any certainty. Whether you accept or reject, the 3-D negative results are very intriquing to say the least.

I make no claims about the shroud. But are you implying that the Messiah could not be in that height range?
That height hardly qualifies a, 'hulking, bear of a man.' Further there is nothing in the facial image to indicate there was anything extraordinary about this man's appearance.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

jlay wrote:There is very little scholorship on the height of the figure, but estimates range from 5'11" to 6'1".
The life-size reproduction I saw is about 6 ft tall.
jlay wrote:I make no claims about the shroud. But are you implying that the Messiah could not be in that height range?
Messiah can make himself in any height range he chooses. For his second coming, all eyes will see him. While Messiah was around the first time, he was apparently not very remarkable either in height, build or appearance as implied by both Isaiah's prophesy and contemporary witnesses. While 6ft tall men (and women) are commonplace today in Western nations, they were not while Jesus was around.

So...the guy photocopied on the shroud is too tall and too muscular. My guess is he's also too handsome. He could have been a contestant on that TeeVee show, Hebrew Idol.*

But...I really don't care. The shroud has no significance to my faith.

FL

PS...Make that Roman Idol as the Romans occupied Judea while Jesus was around.

+ + +

+ + +