Scienctist creates first synthetic living Cell

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Swimmy
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Scienctist creates first synthetic living Cell

Post by Swimmy »

touchingcloth
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Scienctist creates first synthetic living Cell

Post by touchingcloth »

Expect media outlet Fails will follow thick and fast. The BBC has already gone with "Scientists make 'artificial life'". It's like Ida all over again.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Interesting fodder for a science fiction novel!!
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Chalk another one up for intelligent designers again.. Scientists (intelligent designers) create the first synthetic living cell.. Nature can NOT do it by itself folks... ;)
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Struntzizzle
Newbie Member

Post by Struntzizzle »

This isn't creating artificial life from scratch like the supposed first cell of abiogenesis.
"As soon as this new software goes into the cell, the cell reads [it] and converts into the species specified in that genetic code."
They are just swapping genomes. All of the enzymatic machinery is already in place. I do a very similar thing in cloning plasmids into E. Coli.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Struntzizzle wrote:This isn't creating artificial life from scratch like the supposed first cell of abiogenesis.
"As soon as this new software goes into the cell, the cell reads [it] and converts into the species specified in that genetic code."
They are just swapping genomes. All of the enzymatic machinery is already in place. I do a very similar thing in cloning plasmids into E. Coli.
Thanks for the insight there Struntzizzle..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Gman wrote:
Struntzizzle wrote:This isn't creating artificial life from scratch like the supposed first cell of abiogenesis.
And you clone E. Coli? :esurprised: On God's green earth, why? Don't we have enough out there?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
touchingcloth
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by touchingcloth »

Byblos wrote:
Gman wrote:
And you clone E. Coli? :esurprised: On God's green earth, why? Don't we have enough out there?
Most strains of E. coli aren't harmful to humans. They're commonly used in labs as they're so well characterised (a bit like mice in that sense).
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

I use them in high school labs!!
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"