Beginning of Atheistic Thinking?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
A Y323
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Beginning of Atheistic Thinking?

Post by A Y323 »

Pint wrote:I am getting off track, but the long and short answer to your question is Atheism has "come out of the closet" with the separation of church and state that most of the western world now enjoys. That was not present in ancient Greece, was not present in Europe until a couple hundred years ago
That seems like a reasonable answer to the original question. I think I said somewhere before in this thread, the origin of atheism would be hard to pin down because it was mostly, as you put it, kept in the closet because it was a punishable offense. I can see how the separation of church and state would allow belief systems to come out in the open.

As for the Omar Khayyam guy, I've not heard of him before nor read his works, but if what you said is accurate, I'm not sure rejection of religion is the same as rejection of the idea of god(s). You could be deist for example, believing that a god exists but has not revealed itself to mankind and thus no religion is true.

Anyway, I had somewhat forgotten about this thread because it was more of a curiosity of mine than a big issue, but I thank you for your response. It's always nice to hear another perspective, whether I agree with it or not.

Pint wrote:Religion might very well be the source of ones main purpose, but to say Atheism takes purpose out of an Atheist's life is untrue. The acceptable answer, as you put it, is that an individual can propose ones own purpose.
I didn't mean to say that the lack of a god removes "subjective purpose" from a person's life, but rather that it removes "objective meaning". Then again, in an atheist world there is little to nothing that is objective.
Pint
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Pint »

zoegirl wrote:But the problm is that purposing one's purpose for person A may very well be different than the purpose of person and person A has no right's whatsoever in proclaiming his system correct.
I couldn't agree more.
A Y323 wrote: I didn't mean to say that the lack of a god removes "subjective purpose" from a person's life, but rather that it removes "objective meaning". Then again, in an atheist world there is little to nothing that is objective.
I apologize I read "purpose" but you did say meaning. Which admittedly stumps me. I know what objective means, but you add meaning to it and I am at a loss. y:O2

Well your welcome all the same.

Pint
A Y323
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by A Y323 »

Pint wrote:I apologize I read "purpose" but you did say meaning. Which admittedly stumps me. I know what objective means, but you add meaning to it and I am at a loss.
purpose: the quality of being determined to do or achieve something

meaning: rich in significance or implication

So what I mean is, without God, you can give yourself purpose (which is subjective), but your life has no objective meaning, you are insignificant. Once you die, that's it; all your "purposes" whether fulfilled or not are gone, along with (eventually) the memory of you and your actions. But of course, without God that doesn't matter because once you die, you don't care about any of that stuff anymore anyway- you're dead. Some people, for whatever reason, are OK with that, but others of us believe there is much more than just that.