Who are our teachers today?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Who are our teachers today?

Post by Gman »

Guys,

I've often wondered about this.. I think the Bible is pretty clear that God gives us teachers and prophets IN our modern times (like today). God doesn't simply abandon us, but he gives us priests, teachers, ministers, prophets today that guide us. I refer to verses like Ephesians 4:11.

Question.. Who do you think might fit this role in our modern times today? Now I know that there are no priests, teachers, ministers, prophets today that don't make mistakes or are pure, but I don't think that this is going to negate Ephesians 4:11 either. We all make mistakes, in fact some of the earlier prophets were pretty bad sinners too.. But I don't think that somehow God is not still working with them either.. Understand?

So who do you think think fits the role today? y:-?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Who are our teachers today?

Post by CeT-To »

Would regard near death experiences like B.W. experience of the Trinity and what happens in judgement something of a prophet? Plus i thought only Jewish people were the ones chosen by the LORD specifically to be prophets for the world. Has there ever been a non jewish prophet?

God bless!

CeT-To
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Are you speaking generally, or are you looking for opinions as to specific people?
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called.

We tend to look at things through worldly eyes. People who will stand out in charisma. But is this really what God has in mind? In this age of the new covenant are we really going to experience Elijah and the prophets of Baal. What about the missionary who is never shown preaching on TV, who hikes miles through rugged terrain to reach a village in a remote corner of the world. Or the soft spoken older women who goes and visits the sick.

The first thing I noticed when I began to return to Christian fellowship, was how many vibrant Christians I began to cross paths with. It was truly remarkable. If you are not experiencing such people who are called in your life as a Christian, I honestly feel for you. I would also ask the believer, "what about your own calling?" If you are not experiencing His calling in your own life then perhaps it is time to tune in the radar. Also upon returning to fellowship, it was very obvious that God had not called me to be a spectator, but to get in the game. God opened doors that only He could open, and closed doors only He could close.

Who fits the role? Maybe we should look in the mirror.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

CeT-To wrote:Would regard near death experiences like B.W. experience of the Trinity and what happens in judgement something of a prophet?
I think there may be some evidence of that too...
CeT-To wrote:Plus i thought only Jewish people were the ones chosen by the LORD specifically to be prophets for the world. Has there ever been a non jewish prophet?

God bless!

CeT-To
That is what I'm asking.. I don't think that God is abandoning us in this time. This means that there are truly teachers or prophets or God living with us right now. And yes, I don't think they have to be Jewish either..

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

zoegirl wrote:Are you speaking generally, or are you looking for opinions as to specific people?
I think both... :)

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote:God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called.

We tend to look at things through worldly eyes. People who will stand out in charisma. But is this really what God has in mind? In this age of the new covenant are we really going to experience Elijah and the prophets of Baal. What about the missionary who is never shown preaching on TV, who hikes miles through rugged terrain to reach a village in a remote corner of the world. Or the soft spoken older women who goes and visits the sick.

The first thing I noticed when I began to return to Christian fellowship, was how many vibrant Christians I began to cross paths with. It was truly remarkable. If you are not experiencing such people who are called in your life as a Christian, I honestly feel for you. I would also ask the believer, "what about your own calling?" If you are not experiencing His calling in your own life then perhaps it is time to tune in the radar. Also upon returning to fellowship, it was very obvious that God had not called me to be a spectator, but to get in the game. God opened doors that only He could open, and closed doors only He could close.

Who fits the role? Maybe we should look in the mirror.
Yes.. I know. But I also believe there are specific people that are fulfilling specific roles in the body of Christ. Not all are teachers, not all are prophets.. But some are. And maybe not on t.v. either... But are all those on t.v. not teachers/prophets? I don't know, perhaps maybe are some aren't.. Again, I don't think will abandon us.

CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Ummm i dont think there is any need for prophets, i mean everything has been reveiled to us that which will happen ( The book of Revelation) i think the prophets that are coming is Elijah and either Enoch or Moses.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

But another role of prophets is to proclaim the word of God, not just reveal it. In that role, wouldn't pastors be a prophet? I think of some of the great church fathers, the great Christian writers, wouldn't they fill in as the great prophets? Schaefer, Swindoll, Lewis, Lucado, Piper...? What do you say?
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Prophets are most certainly needed. And as Gman said, they are there to proclaim the Word of truth.

Your sons and daughters WILL prophesy.

Billy Graham said more souls would be won by one on one evangelism than by all the great crusades combined. And I believe it. We tend to think that there are going to be these 'great' people who stand out, but I think a lot of those so called 'great' people are false prophets and false teachers. And we are surely warned about such in the word.

Mat 7:15
Mat 24:11
2 Tim 4:2-4
Mark 13:22
2 Pet 2:1-3

We must understand that we are in the church age. We are on a different program than was Israel. There is no veil. We have direct access. We are all a valuable part of the body of Christ, and each have a role. Paul is clear in this, and that each role is important if not essential to the others. Sadly however, we have many who do not realize their God given potential. I don't mean this to single out anyone, but many Christians get wrapped up in fringe elements and miss their calling all together. And sadly there are many who have embraced wordly ideas because they would rather be considered wise in the eyes of the world.
To even entertain the idea that He has abandoned us would be to reject sound doctrine. He has left us the helper, the Holy Spirit. John 14-15
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

What about Jesus warning in Matthew 24:24? I for one already believe in Christ. Not that all do. Don't most prophets give warning and predict future events. I've read the ending in the Bible. I know how it ends. :ewink:

I look at a few people of GOD and question there motives. I think people who keep the glory for themselves are in great danger of perishing. Matthew 7:22 comes to mind. I've often though about this verse. I know the name of JESUS is so powerful that it alone is capable of many things. I'm not sure if I believe in modern day prophets or apostles. Maybe, Billy Graham.

We have a church close to us that is fivefold. I'm not very up to date with the whole five fold ministery thing. This one has a self proclaimed prophet, and apostle. Still not shure how I feel about that. y:-?

Good Luck and GOD BLESS!!!!!
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

zoegirl wrote:But another role of prophets is to proclaim the word of God, not just reveal it. In that role, wouldn't pastors be a prophet? I think of some of the great church fathers, the great Christian writers, wouldn't they fill in as the great prophets? Schaefer, Swindoll, Lewis, Lucado, Piper...? What do you say?
No argument there...

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote:Prophets are most certainly needed. And as Gman said, they are there to proclaim the Word of truth.

Your sons and daughters WILL prophesy.

Billy Graham said more souls would be won by one on one evangelism than by all the great crusades combined. And I believe it. We tend to think that there are going to be these 'great' people who stand out, but I think a lot of those so called 'great' people are false prophets and false teachers. And we are surely warned about such in the word.

Mat 7:15
Mat 24:11
2 Tim 4:2-4
Mark 13:22
2 Pet 2:1-3

We must understand that we are in the church age. We are on a different program than was Israel. There is no veil. We have direct access. We are all a valuable part of the body of Christ, and each have a role. Paul is clear in this, and that each role is important if not essential to the others. Sadly however, we have many who do not realize their God given potential. I don't mean this to single out anyone, but many Christians get wrapped up in fringe elements and miss their calling all together. And sadly there are many who have embraced wordly ideas because they would rather be considered wise in the eyes of the world.
To even entertain the idea that He has abandoned us would be to reject sound doctrine. He has left us the helper, the Holy Spirit. John 14-15
Yes.. Exactly.. ;)