Situational Ethics or Tickbox ethics?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Situational Ethics or Tickbox ethics?

Post by DannyM »

Kristoffer wrote:Are you sure that's not "croquet" the game with hammers because I play that. It can get very unfair :lol:

Anyway, this is sort of a situation? I mean this is a sort of example of a time when its ok to be a little bit in error, for fun :ebiggrin:
Well, when you have no idea what you're tallking about then I guess it's rather fufilling playing games... Ja?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Fl:

I've reread your post and I'm still not following.

You wrote:
Now, I am in their position and see atheists like yourself or Kristoffer or vile as hopelssly lost...
I wrote:
I'm not an atheist
You wrote:
I got that you are an agnostic, not an atheist.
That doesn't follow too well for me but perhaps I am misunderstanding you.
Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Proinsias wrote:I'm not an atheist, I have a love for religion but it extends far beyond Christianity.
Too bad. God himself hates religion and you have «a love for it». You are heading towards disaster! :titanic:
Perhaps I am. Does God hate the Merriam Webster definition "worship of God"? And forgive me about being suspicious when a 'wretched man' tells me what Gos loves and God hates.
Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Proinsias wrote:That you have went from an atheist who despises Christianity to a Christian who mocks atheism does not surprise me. One exteme to the other.
The first part you got right. The second part you got wrong because you misunderstood what I wrote to you earlier. I don't mock atheists, I treat them as the Bible requires.
I see it as mockery, you telling me you got it from a book doesn't change this. Many here claim to also follow this book, yet manage to avoid the condescending tone.
I have no problem with the terms «Kristoffer atheist» or «Dawkins atheist». However, Kristoffer defined himself as an agnostic atheist, a term devoid of sense as the words that compose it are mutually...opposed. It is like saying a «square circle» or a «triangular line»...it makes no sense. Get it?
No. It's not devoid of sense to me and many others, if you can't cope with that's fine. One deals with knowledge and the other belief. One can also be a agnostic theist - a theist in belief who does not yet have gnosis of God.

Atheist/theist may be mutually opposed, not agnostic atheist.
DannyM wrote:Pro,

You should go back and look at the context in which FL 'called' Kristoffer a "major fool". You'll see what I mean.

Danny
I have done. Agnostic atheist may be something we disagree upon but no need to start calling people major fools.
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

blasted...Well people can be foolish in different ways I suppose. :)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Proinsias,

What exactly do you not understand? Spell it out clearly.

If you are neither an agnostic nor an atheist, what are you?
Proinsias wrote:Does God hate the Merriam Webster definition "worship of God"? And forgive me about being suspicious when a 'wretched man' tells me what Gos loves and God hates.
What is the definition of «worship of God»? and how could you possibly know? A dictionary would have no such definition.
Proinsias wrote:I see it as mockery, you telling me you got it from a book doesn't change this. Many here claim to also follow this book, yet manage to avoid the condescending tone.
There is no mockery although you are interpreting that. Maybe your feelings are easily hurt, I don't know. Get over it.
Proinsias wrote:...no need to start calling people major fools.
Now, you are far too strict in your sourpuss/narrow-minded definition of the term «major fool»! I meant it as «you funny guy!» or «you great big funny guy!» Don't you know that words are plastic and we can use them whichever way we want? Talk about being in a straight-jacket!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Nothing wrong with being funny. Well on the condition that the situation calls for it. ;) Sometimes though you just have to put on a brave face and be deadly serious.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

Kristoffer wrote:Nothing wrong with being funny. Well on the condition that the situation calls for it. ;) Sometimes though you just have to put on a brave face and be deadly serious.
Yo kris! What's 'appenin'? I was thinking of spending a week in Sweden one day - where should I stay?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Where everything is happening, the countryside is nice and all but stay in the capitol. Mörbylí¥nga is also quite a nice region you could visit or maybe gislaved. Anyway if you do visit, enjoy yourself it is not every day you visit a country so fair and away from strife.(literally we has been neutral in most wars and have a very limited army)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gislaved_Municipality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm