An Awkward theological question

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
smiley
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

An Awkward theological question

Post by smiley »

"Imagine if we picked the wrong god. Every time we go to church, we're just make him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: An Awkward theological question

Post by CeT-To »

Rofl that hilarious!
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

How do they ask the one person questions for their different brain halves? I know that these certain people operate with two separate brain halves, but how did they do that study he is referring to? I wonder how these people operate in the world. If their two brain halves are disconnected, how does the brain decide which half to use, or which half will dominate in any given situation? I guess God knows the "heart," huh? I can't remember where the verse is that I'm thinking of, that the heart or soul is what really believes, it's not simply a cerebral decision.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I thought it was rather odd of him to think that his experiment (anecdote, actually) should have any serious theological repercussions. Why would it? A person with multiple personality disorder could present the same problem. Or perhaps someone is once a firm believer, but then has an accident that results in amnesia, and in their "new life" they change belief systems.

So there's hardly anything "new" here. And in any case, every theological system has a pretty set answer to this. Calvinists would say the person is saved based on God's election. Those who think you can lose your salvation would conclude that such a person simply lost their salvation (unless the accident left them in such a condition that it could be argued they were no longer persons, as if they were brain dead, but then, it wouldn't make much sense to say that they had changed their belief systems). And those who believe in eternal security would simply point out that salvation can't be lost, regardless of your future state of belief or disbelief.

Still FURTHER, despite the two facts above that render this question less than interesting, the speaker for some reason assumes that mere belief in God decides one's eternal destiny. I'm not aware of any religion that says if you believe in God you go to heaven and if you are an atheist you go to Hell.

All in all, there are so many things wrong with his presumption that I'd classify it silly long before I classified it as awkward, and, apparently, the rest of the theological community has done the same thing, since he hasn't even gotten a ripple, in his own words. :p
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.