The Multiverse Theory.

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The Multiverse Theory.

Post by Kristoffer »

Well I do not know why you say he cannot Harden hearts, are you rendering him powerless to do so? Perhaps he can soften hearts? Or maybe in the places where it said that god hardened the Pharaohs heart and not the Pharaoh were metaphorical in someway?(admittedly it does say in more places that it is the Pharaoh who hardens his heart)

Anyway today I think my heart has been softened, I don't know whither to call it Emotional Assault or a Beautiful thing. :lol:

Did I ever mention how annoying it is to be woken up at 9am Every Sunday and sometimes on other days by annoying load bell ringing? :ewink:
CeT-To
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

Kristoffer wrote:Well I do not know why you say he cannot Harden hearts, are you rendering him powerless to do so? Perhaps he can soften hearts? Or maybe in the places where it said that god hardened the Pharaohs heart and not the Pharaoh were metaphorical in someway?(admittedly it does say in more places that it is the Pharaoh who hardens his heart)

Anyway today I think my heart has been softened, I don't know whither to call it Emotional Assault or a Beautiful thing. :lol:

Did I ever mention how annoying it is to be woken up at 9am Every Sunday and sometimes on other days by annoying load bell ringing? :ewink:
Kristoffer, let me tell you my understanding of God hardening some non-believer's heart. Alright well, imagine a scenario where im talking to some one about my faith or God and the only thing that the other person does is digress, be rude and tell me the things which i know are not so. ( just an example ) It was talking about my faith/God that hardend his heart BUT it was not God's or my fault that his heart was hardend since HE was the one that acted and thought in that manner about the things i was saying. With some people the more you talk about God the more they digress (harden their heart).
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

Why on earth are you all still bothering with this insincere fool?!
-
-
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Thank you.
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

DannyM wrote:Why on earth are you all still bothering with this insincere fool?!
-
-
Proverbs 26:3-5. Man I love Proverbs!!
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by cslewislover »

sinnerbybirth wrote:
DannyM wrote:Why on earth are you all still bothering with this insincere fool?!
-
-
Proverbs 26:3-5. Man I love Proverbs!!
Since on the face of it those verses are contradictory, I had to look in one of my commentaries about them. I assumed what the commentary said, but had to know for sure. Verse 4 is saying to not answer a fool if you're going to answer foolishly yourself, but we should answer a fool to reprove or rebuke him.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

cslewislover wrote:
sinnerbybirth wrote:
-
-
<A class=lbsBibleRef href="http://bible.logos.com/passage/esv/Proverbs%2026.3-5" target=_blank lbsReference="Proverbs 26.3-5|ESV">Proverbs 26:3-5</A>. Man I love Proverbs!!
Since on the face of it those verses are contradictory, I had to look in one of my commentaries about them. I assumed what the commentary said, but had to know for sure. Verse 4 is saying to not answer a fool if you're going to answer foolishly yourself, but we should answer a fool to reprove or rebuke him.

I have to agree with Danny on his statement about this "fool". He seems to be one who enjoys the sound of his own voice, or posts.
My point was, a fool is still a fool no matter what you say. Especially when they never listen to reason because in their eyes, they are wiser than all who answer them. Verse 3 was more about me enjoying Solomons comparison to the whip for the Horse, the bridling of a Donkey, and the Rod for the fool. ;)

GOD Bless
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Lol. :lol: Well, I wasn't trying to say anything about Danny or you, I only wanted to clarify those verses for anyone who came along and read it, and started scratching his/her head (since that's what I did for a minute when I first saw it)! God bless you too!
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I may not have been around lately, and so don't know the history... but as long as a person is allowed to post on this board then they should be able to do so without discussions reducing into name-calling or negative talk about them as though they do not exist.

If Kristoffer should be banned, please approach a moderator who is up-to-date. Vicky, perhaps you can make a decision here since I am not currently up to speed with discussions so can not do so.

Otherwise, Kristoffer... you should be aware to the discussion guidelines by now and intended audience of this board. While I find the talk against you quite disrespectful, I do request you make an honest decision about whether a board such as this really is a place you should be posting at. It is a board open to all for registration, but with a very particular audience in mind. Is this is perhaps what some here are reacting to.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

I was still deciding what to do. I didn't write to Danny myself, but someone else did in regard to his tone.
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

I do not get why I need a Rod across my back, but I know of my foolishness, it would be unwise for me to not say that I can do foolish things. It is in my business to take risky[very executive choices ahaha] decisions and in some rare cases they really backfire on me.

I do not wish to upset the apple-cart, if it is that hard for you guys, for me to be here I can just stop posting for a while. It is also worth noting that this passage also comes from the proverbs:

Take a lesson from the ants, you lazy fellow. Learn from their ways and be wise! For though they have no king to make them work, yet they labour hard in the summer, gathering food for the winter. But you--all you do is sleep. When will you wake up? "let me sleep a little longer!" Sure, just a little more! And as you sleep, poverty creeps upon you like a robber and destroys you; want attacks you in full armour.
-proverbs 6:6-11

This is quite a useful nugget of wisdom and it is something I can know from personal experience. That IS truth.

P.S I think this is the right place to be posting, I can't learn this stuff from Atheists can I?
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

Kristoffer wrote: P.S I think this is the right place to be posting, I can't learn this stuff from Atheists can I?
Point taken Kristoffer.
I am wrong sir, and you are right. I guess I'm the fool now. My humble apologies. Man I hate eating crow. Two helpings in two days!

GOD Bless
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

I find it humorous that atheists mock Christians for believing in God as similar to believing in "invisible pink unicorns" while a number of them believe in the multiverse theory. There is no hard evidence (none at all that I've seen), you can't touch it or taste it or use any of your five senses, and yet the multiverse is a great alternative and a clever way to avoid the fine tuning argument. I'm not up to date on the history of the multiverse theory and if that's why it was originated, but I do know that that's why some atheists do believe in it.

Another thing that's ironic. Atheists mock Christianity by bringing up "invisible pink unicorns" and other such nonsense. Well, if there are indeed an infinite number of universes, doesn't that guarantee that invisible unicorns DO exist in one of those universes? If there are an infinite number of universes, there must be a creature very similar to a flying spaghetti monster. There are probably beings that can't be seen in many of those universes. Does this mean that atheists believe in invisible pink unicorns after all? :lol: You can have lots of fun with these multiple universes.

Finally, I don't think that any multiverse theory is incompatible with Christianity. The only argument you're avoiding that I can see is the fine tuning argument. The cosmological argument, arguments from the Bible, arguments from morals and beauty, all of those arguments would remain as strong as ever should a multiverse theory be proven. Who knows, maybe it would aid some arguments for theism (like the ontological argument, maybe)?
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

narnia4 wrote:I find it humorous that atheists...a number of them believe in the multiverse theory...no hard evidence...but I do know that that's why some atheists do believe in it....Another thing that's ironic. Atheists mock Christianity by bringing up "invisible pink unicorns" and other such nonsense... Well, if there are indeed an infinite number of universes, doesn't that guarantee that invisible unicorns DO exist in one of those universes?...If there are an infinite number of universes, there must be a creature very similar to a flying spaghetti monster...There are probably beings that can't be seen in many of those universes. Does this mean that atheists believe in invisible pink unicorns after all? :lol: You can have lots of fun with these multiple universes
Finally, I don't think that any multiverse theory is incompatible with Christianity....
You are Making some sense, also making me laugh at silly people :wave:

Yes, you can have lots of a fun with multiple universes, maybe we are lucky enough to live in the one with the Christian god! :twisted:

Ps, you Do think that it is incompatible? or was "don't" a mistake?
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

Ps, you Do think that it is incompatible? or was "don't" a mistake?
I worded that in a confusing way. I think that the multiverse theory is compatible with theism, but no evidence I've ever seen has indicated that there are multiple universes and from most sources I've read there isn't much, if any, evidence in that direction.