Supernatural?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Vice
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Supernatural?

Post by Vice »

I was wondering what this board thinks of the supernatural.

Yes, I am aware that this site is God believing for the most part. But this doesn't mean there isn't other supernatural beliefs(or lack thereof) you have.

So theists, I'm asking outside of God do you believe in anything supernatural? It doesn't have to be ghosts or anything.
And atheists, do you believe in anything supernatural?(Yes guys, atheists can have beliefs in supernatural things)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Supernatural?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Vice wrote:So theists, I'm asking outside of God do you believe in anything supernatural?
Supernatural: of, belonging to, having reference to, proceeding from an order of existence beyond that which is observable, and capable of being experienced by ordinary means : transcending nature in degree and kind or concerning that which transcends nature... (Merriam-Webster)

There is a whole supernatural world besides God according to the Bible.
Vice wrote:And atheists, do you believe in anything supernatural?(Yes guys, atheists can have beliefs in supernatural things)
An atheist with any supernatural belief whatsoever has to be either:

-misidentified
-misguided
-a fool's fool.

...there are other descriptors, none of which are complimentary. Before accusing me of being harsh, look up the word atheist in a dictionary.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
truthman
Established Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by truthman »

Vice wrote:I was wondering what this board thinks of the supernatural.

Yes, I am aware that this site is God believing for the most part. But this doesn't mean there isn't other supernatural beliefs(or lack thereof) you have.

So theists, I'm asking outside of God do you believe in anything supernatural? It doesn't have to be ghosts or anything.
And atheists, do you believe in anything supernatural?(Yes guys, atheists can have beliefs in supernatural things)
Christians believe in the supernatural beyond God. We believe in a whole spiritual dimension filled with spiritual beings described in Scripture as angels (including archangels, cherubim and seraphim) and fallen angels (angels who followed the cherub Lucifer in rebellion against God) also know as devils or lying (deceiving) spirits. We also believe that every human is both a physical or natural being as well as a spiritual or supernatural being. We base this belief in the supernatural upon the revealed truth communicated from God to man through holy prophets. We then measure or judge reports of the supernatural within this framework. The Scriptures tell us something about how these spiritual beings behave and are identified.

However, many people have a blind faith or take a "leap of faith", including some who call themselves atheists, and embrace all sorts of imaginary notions about the supernatural which is foolish and dangerous.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Vice wrote:I was wondering what this board thinks of the supernatural.

Supernatural, natural... the distinction is ultimately abstract and illusory, but one that is made nonetheless.

Spirits are essentially ghosts, so any Christian ought to believe in these.