Atheist argument that is causing my friend to doubt...

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Atheist argument that is causing my friend to doubt...

Post by jlay »

Well, perhaps the Ideal will BECOME something real.
Wouldn't that make you God? YOU have an ideal. It becomes reality. Therefore you created God. That is no God my friend. I do not see how that is even reasonable.
I try my best to be Free from anger, I have little time for Lust...I have little need for greed, why waste money on vanity? I even use braces to keep my trousers up rather than spending lots to get them tailored.
That's like saying, "I have little time for murder. I've only murdered once." What do you call someone who murders once? A murderer. What you are doing here is called jusitfying one's self. You are trying to convince us that you are a 'good' person. You're not. You are just like the rest of us. You get angry (a little), you lust (a little), you have greed, (a little). If I offered you a 16 oz. glass of purified drinking water, how much deadly poison would I have to add to it, for you to reject it as contaminated? If God is ideal, then what is the ideal standard? If God is ideal, then are you not contaminated? How does even working for the ideal make up for the poison that is already there?
Why should I just let god Take away all that is wrong with me? It is part of who am am, If that means going to hell then I do not wish to find a get out of jail free. If you think you deserve something then why oh why try to escape your fate?
Really? If you went to a doctor and he examined you, and then showed you an X-ray of a deadly tumor. He says, "no worries, I can perform surgery and remove the tumor and save your life." Are you telling me you'd say. "Why should I let the doctor take away all that is wrong with me? It is part of who I am? If that means dying then I do not wish to be cured. It's just fate." Do you not see how foolish that sounds?
I can only be totally certain that this is the Only Life I will have, so it is very important to put in Great Effort to try and be worthy, if you fail to try then you have wasted a great chance.
Haven't you and I and everyone else, already failed? Sounds very noble to try and be worthy. Worthy of what? What is the standard, how did you determine it, and how can you be sure that you are not already miserably short of it?
if there was a human who ever reached that level you would know about it and it would also path the way for others to reach it too.
Yes, His name is Jesus. And He said that He is THE PATH. That His life, death and ressurection will make you righteous (ideal) when you trust in Him. That we do not do good works to earn favor, but we do good works because we already have favor.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I've not read the thread other than to notice it's still going on, nor have I read Craig's response to the argument. With that said, here's my own answer to Schellenberg:

1. If there is a God, he is perfectly loving.
2. If a perfectly loving God exists, reasonable nonbelief does not occur.
3. Reasonable nonbelief occurs.
4. No perfectly loving God exists (from 2 and 3).
5. Hence, there is no God (from 1 and 4).

The argument is valid. Unfortunately, (3) is simply false. Reasonable nonbelief does not occur. As Aquinas pointed out a long time ago, the existence of God is self-evident to those with the proper training. It is not self-evident to those who are uneducated. For his argument to prove God's non-existence, he would have to demonstrate that a perfectly loving God would therefore be sure all people are properly educated, which is obviously much more difficult to prove.

The bottom line is that all atheists are either uneducated or unreasonable. There are no reasonable, educated atheists.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
A Y323
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by A Y323 »

Jac3510 wrote:As Aquinas pointed out a long time ago, the existence of God is self-evident to those with the proper training. It is not self-evident to those who are uneducated.
Hi Jac. Can you show me where Aquinas says this? I'm not doubting you, I just want to read the reference for my own use. Thanks in advance.
truthman
Established Member

Post by truthman »

I don't think #2 is valid either.
It is not obvious that a loving God would make reasonable nonbelief impossible, nor has it been proven.
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. " 1 Corinthians 13:1-2
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

Aside from all of that, belief in God does not merit salvation. It is written in James 2:19 "You Believe that God is one; you do well. The demons also believe, and they shudder." So even if God made Himself known to all, that does not mean that they will go to heaven. The argument the atheist makes is invalid in more ways than one.
Axiomatic wrote:Hello. I'm the friend the opening poster talked about. I am currently finding pretty good responses to the arguments, but I will definitely read through the various post and try to respond.

Thanks.
I look forward to reading your thoughts on this when you have the time, God Bless!
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Gabe,
That is quite a stretch to say that this verse out of context is saying that belief is not enough. We must realize that James is writing to a specific audience as he spells out in the opening paragraph. "To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:"
Are you one of them?

Taking the whole counsel of God, you would have to throw out statements by the Lord Himself, and Paul which clearly say that salvation is by beleiving. Now, we could have a discussion on, "what is belief?" I think it would be a good one, as I do feel that many do not fully grasp what is meant by believing on the Lord. A second matter could be, what is IT we need to believe in. John 5:24.
Jesus' statements make it clear that belief, that is right belief, does merit salvation. So maybe we should start a thread, What is Right Belief?"

What plus faith equals salvation in your eyes? Remember that by the measure you judge, it will be measured unto you.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Jlay, why are you answering Gab that way? It doesn't seem like he's taking anything out of context or too far. He quoted the bible, about demons believing in God but not having a saving faith. God says His revelation is for all to see - no one is with excuse - yet many will not come to a saving faith. It seems to me that this is what his message is about, not about judging people.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

There is a difference between faith and belief. Jlay, if someone believes that God exists, but hates Him, do you really think they would be saved? Faith IN Christ is different from believing that Christ is God. The demons believe He is God, but they will not be saved. There are no two ways about that. To have Faith in God is to trust on Him, and to love Him.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
smiley
Established Member

Post by smiley »

Jac3510 wrote:For his argument to prove God's non-existence, he would have to demonstrate that a perfectly loving God would therefore be sure all people are properly educated, which is obviously much more difficult to prove.
God can certainly not force someone to be properly educated, however, how about if we phrased it this way "a perfectly loving God would ensure that all people can get properly educated if they want to".

But this isn't the case.

Especially not if we're talking about the God of Christianity.
The bottom line is that all atheists are either uneducated or unreasonable. There are no reasonable, educated atheists.
I disagree with this completely. Are you honestly going to say that there are no honest, truth-seeking professional atheist philosophers/scientists/historians out there?
"Imagine if we picked the wrong god. Every time we go to church, we're just make him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Gabrielman wrote:There is a difference between faith and belief. Jlay, if someone believes that God exists, but hates Him, do you really think they would be saved? Faith IN Christ is different from believing that Christ is God. The demons believe He is God, but they will not be saved. There are no two ways about that. To have Faith in God is to trust on Him, and to love Him.
You are right. there are no way for demons to be saved, by faith, or any other means.

CSLL. Reading back through it, I'm not 100% sure Gabe and I were initially talking about the same thing. I would disagree that belief is not enough. Right belief is enough. Period. My contention was that Gabe was wrongly applying a verse. First, that this thread is not about a saving faith argument, but an argument regarding making His existence known. Obviously we would all agree that simply knowing God exist is not the same as saving faith. And thus the point James is making to Israel in his letter.

Why did I address Him? Because I believe based on the Word of God, rightly divided that right belief is enough. The bible says in several places that belief is in fact the response alone through which grace is applied. Like I said, we can have a discussion on what is belief. I'd be happy to. John 3:16. John 5:24. Eph 2:8-9.
Jlay, if someone believes that God exists, but hates Him, do you really think they would be saved?
He certainly can be saved. If He believes Christ's message and He who sent Him. I agree that simply believing that 'god' exist is not the same as trusting Christ message. Again, I think it would be a good thread.
To have Faith in God is to trust on Him, and to love Him.
Gabe, everytime I sin, i fail to love god. (John 14:15) Everytime I act selfishly I fail to act in faith. There is a difference between savng faith, and a living faith. Am I capable of loving God in a way He deserves? That is placing a condition on salvation. As a believer I am learning to love God better every day. Am I more saved than when I first trusted in, Him. Am I more saved than the thief on the cross?

What plus belief= salvation?

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

A Y323 wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:As Aquinas pointed out a long time ago, the existence of God is self-evident to those with the proper training. It is not self-evident to those who are uneducated.
Hi Jac. Can you show me where Aquinas says this? I'm not doubting you, I just want to read the reference for my own use. Thanks in advance.
Here's one place:
  • A thing can be self-evident in either of two ways: on the one hand, self-evident in itself, though not to us; on the other, self-evident in itself, and to us. A proposition is self-evident because the predicate is included in the essence of the subject, as "Man is an animal," for animal is contained in the essence of man. If, therefore the essence of the predicate and subject be known to all, the proposition will be self-evident to all; as is clear with regard to the first principles of demonstration, the terms of which are common things that no one is ignorant of, such as being and non-being, whole and part, and such like. If, however, there are some to whom the essence of the predicate and subject is unknown, the proposition will be self-evident in itself, but not to those who do not know the meaning of the predicate and subject of the proposition. Therefore, it happens, as Boethius says (Hebdom., the title of which is: "Whether all that is, is good"), "that there are some mental concepts self-evident only to the learned, as that incorporeal substances are not in space." Therefore I say that this proposition, "God exists," of itself is self-evident, for the predicate is the same as the subject, because God is His own existence as will be hereafter shown (3, 4). Now because we do not know the essence of God, the proposition is not self-evident to us; but needs to be demonstrated by things that are more known to us, though less known in their nature — namely, by effects.
I would give you a few others, but unfortunately, I've leant out a few of my resources. In any case, Aquinas' point here is that God's existent is self-evident in itself, but not necessarily to us. Yet the moment we examine the nature of things, specifically of being, that God's existence is self-evident becomes immediately evident to us. Thus, "those who do not know the meaning of the predicaet and subject of the proposition" (those who are uneducated) will not regard God's existence as self-evident. Those who are educated on these things, however, see it perfectly.
truthman wrote:I don't think #2 is valid either.
It is not obvious that a loving God would make reasonable nonbelief impossible, nor has it been proven.
I would certainly be interested in a demonstration of the statement, tm, but I don't think it would be too terribly hard to show. The key word is "reasonable." The argument does not suggest that non-belief is possible, but rather that God would not give us any really good reasons to not believe. Of course, if He didn't care about us, then He wouldn't care if we had good reasons to believe in Him or not, but on the assumption that He cares (which is implied in His loving us), it is difficult to see how He would or could create the world in such a way that we could be justified in our non-belief (which is the meaning of "reasonable").

Where we can argue against the second premise is in pointing out that it becomes a slippery slope. If God would not allow reasonable disbelief in His existence, then why allow reasonable disbelief in ANY truth statement? But that would prove that if God exists, then everyone on earth would believe the same thing about everything. But now you've denied free will, which goes against the notion of a believing God in the first place, so the entire premise either proves that the notion of God or the argument itself is incoherent. As much as atheists would like to say its the former, I'm sure the intellectually honest ones among them would recognize they'd be making entirely too much out of something that is difficult, at best, to demonstrate in the first place.
smiley wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:For his argument to prove God's non-existence, he would have to demonstrate that a perfectly loving God would therefore be sure all people are properly educated, which is obviously much more difficult to prove.
God can certainly not force someone to be properly educated, however, how about if we phrased it this way "a perfectly loving God would ensure that all people can get properly educated if they want to".

But this isn't the case.

Especially not if we're talking about the God of Christianity.
Anyone who sits down and thinks about the essence of being is perfectly capable of seeing the self-existence of God. Further, atheism is only in fashion in the developed world. Ironically enough, you are viewed as totally unreasonable and downright foolish in those "uneducated" parts of the world. Focusing, then, on the developed world, where you think you have the luxury of an education that has made is reasonable to doubt God's existence, sadly for you, this same developed world offers you all the education you desire to see that God's existence is, in fact, self-evident. You only have yourself to blame. I do realize that blaming God is much more emotionally satisfying, and it is human nature. Adam did it when confronted with his first sin. Far from doing anything new, you're just repeating the same mistake that people have been making, and believers have recognized and pointed out, since time began. There really is nothing new under the sun.
smiley wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:The bottom line is that all atheists are either uneducated or unreasonable. There are no reasonable, educated atheists.
I disagree with this completely. Are you honestly going to say that there are no honest, truth-seeking professional atheist philosophers/scientists/historians out there?
I'm sure you do. And yes, I am honestly going to say that there are no honest, truth-seeking professional atheist philosophers/scientists/historians out there. I've read too many of those types. You have idiotic statements coming from them like "I don't believe in God and I hate Him." I've become so incredibly bored with watching atheists try to muddle their way through the various arguments for God's existence. None of you take the issue seriously. You all act as if such things as morality, love, beauty, and truth exist. You all act as if things like choice and rationality are possible, even when you are shown time and time again that none of that has any meaning in your atheistic world. Even Darwin recognized the absurdity of his own position:
  • With me, the horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind, which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?
So I'm sorry if it is at all offensive to you. It isn't intended to be. But no, there are NO honest, educated atheists out there. There are plenty of honest atheists. They are just ignorant of the facts. There are plenty of atheists who are not ignorant of the facts. They are dishonest. The former are lazy and their disbelief is their own fault. The latter are wicked, and their disbelief is also their own fault.

Further, I appreciate J's comments on the nature of salvation, whatever Gabe may or may not have meant in his original post. In my own view, we either believe that salvation is by faith alone or we think it is by faith and something else (loving/liking God, promising to follow Him/turn from our sins, baptism, etc.). John 3:16 says the condition for salvation is faith. Anyone who adds anything to that is preaching a false gospel.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
truthman
Established Member

Post by truthman »

1. If there is a God, he is perfectly loving.

Ok, I will address #2 further.

1. A "loving God" is a God that truly gives value to His Creation, particularly humanity in this instance. (if you don't understand this don't write it off, just ask and we can elaborate if need be).
2. Reasonable nonbelief is nonbelief arrived at by a careful and flawless line of reasoning.
3. To prove reasonable nobelief could not occur one must address every possible purpose God may have had for creating and show that none of them could allow for nonbelief.
4. It is impossible for a human to conceive or address every possible purpose God may have had for creating because man is finite and incapable of knowing the mind of an infinite God.
5. Therefore, it is impossible to say that if a perfectly loving God exists, reasonable nonbelief could not and would not occur.

then answering #3
6. Reasonable nonbelief does not occur.
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. " 1 Corinthians 13:1-2
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

Jac and Jlay, it is obvious to me that you are not getting what I am saying. If you just believe God exists you are not saved. There are people out there who believe God exists, and they hate Him. Just because you know or believe that God exists does not mean you will be saved. I believe the moon exists, that does not mean I will be on the moon. Jac, you said it yourself in John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes IN Him, shall not perish, but shall have ever lasting life." There is a difference in believe that God is real, and believing in Him. You should also note that I am not the only one on this thread who has said that:
narnia4 wrote:Hey, I'm not really a philosopher (although philosophy interests me), but I have a few points on this. Forgive me for the long post.

This was touched on above, but because of the larger atheism vs. theism debate, some view a belief in God as sufficient reason to be saved. According to Biblical Christianity, there are many who believe in God or even in Jesus but will not put their faith in Him. Atheists will be no worse off than any who have not been saved through Christ. With this in mind, this argument seems to me to put undo emphasis on whether or not a person believes in God.

I will admit, that in my post here:
Gabrielman wrote:Aside from all of that, belief in God does not merit salvation. It is written in James 2:19 "You Believe that God is one; you do well. The demons also believe, and they shudder." So even if God made Himself known to all, that does not mean that they will go to heaven. The argument the atheist makes is invalid in more ways than one.
I did misspeak, I should have said that if you believe that God exists it does not merit salvation, however I was just writing the post up real quick and did not think much about it. Perhaps you should have asked what I meant first. Believing in God, and believing that He exists are two totally different things. This is Biblical, and you even quoted the Bible to prove it. So, explain to me then how if someone who hates God and does not want to be with Him for all time will be forced to be with Him, just because he knows that God is real.

Jac, Jlay, I disagree with you, that is all.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

truthman wrote:1. If there is a God, he is perfectly loving.

Ok, I will address #2 further.

1. A "loving God" is a God that truly gives value to His Creation, particularly humanity in this instance. (if you don't understand this don't write it off, just ask and we can elaborate if need be).
2. Reasonable nonbelief is nonbelief arrived at by a careful and flawless line of reasoning.
3. To prove reasonable nobelief could not occur one must address every possible purpose God may have had for creating and show that none of them could allow for nonbelief.
4. It is impossible for a human to conceive or address every possible purpose God may have had for creating because man is finite and incapable of knowing the mind of an infinite God.
5. Therefore, it is impossible to say that if a perfectly loving God exists, reasonable nonbelief could not and would not occur.

then answering #3
6. Reasonable nonbelief does not occur.
We're on the same side, tm, but I don't think your argument against (2) works. Your (3) creates the problem. It misses the point of the argument posted, because if the atheist can show that the definition of "a loving God" disallows reasonable doubt, then it doesn't matter what His purposes for creating anything are. The question, if we are going to focus on (2) in their argument, is whether the disallowing of reasonable doubt can be analyzed from the essence of a loving God. I see little, if any, reason to think this is the case.

So you are absolutely correct that (2) in the argument is false. And you are right in general in pointing out that they can't demonstrate it to be true. But rather than us trying to show that it can't be demonstrated (that shifts the burden of proof to us to prove our own argument, which distracts from the main issue, which is the obvious flaw in their own!), we should simply require them to demonstrate that their statement is true. As you and I both know, they won't be able to do so, because the disallowing of reasonable doubt cannot be found as part of the essence of "a loving God."
Last edited by Jac3510 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

It seemed that we were quite off topic so I split the thread.

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 22&t=34502
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"