Purpose of prayer

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Purpose of prayer

Post by Gman »

Kristoffer wrote:Sure go ahead. Although, really you do not have to pray to god for me...Just spare some time and think about what I have to say, Then maybe you can give me the truth that I want. Prayer is cool and all, but if you just say that you will pray for someone and take no action other than that? That is not so cool actually it is cold.
Of course true prayer is backed up by true motives.... It's not like we pray and that's it... True prayer also incorporates true MOTIVES or else it is not a prayer at all. This is wonderfully explained in the Bible in various places. James 4:3

You could pray till you are blue in the face, but if it is deceitful do you really think God should honor it?

Clearer now?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

Very much clearer so.

What do you pray for though, is it for others or are you really "allowed" to pray for yourself? I think if I really wanted something it Would be more strength, and not just the physical kind but a strong character and mind and will. Is that sort of like anything you would ask for?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Kristoffer wrote:Very much clearer so.

What do you pray for though, is it for others or are you really "allowed" to pray for yourself? I think if I really wanted something it Would be more strength, and not just the physical kind but a strong character and mind and will. Is that sort of like anything you would ask for?
Oh yes... I pray for myself all the time too. I usually pray for wisdom and guidance.. There is nothing selfish about that at all.. Remember, in many cases that God's hands are tied unless we allow him to be apart of our lives. Like zoe said, it's a relationship not a dictatorship. It's takes work just like any other relationship you may encounter in this life..

Another thing. We also have to take a moral inventory of our lives.. Find out what is good and what we have to throw out.. Lamentations 3:40 Like taking out the spiritual garbage in our lives.

Ever hear of the 12 steps for Christians? That is a great place to start..

http://homepages.sover.net/~hkfamily/Pa ... Steps.html

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Yes i have heard of the 12 step plan, but I am not an alcoholic :lol: I do like occasional cigar and whisky, but in incredible moderation, 3 shots at the beginning, the middle and the end of the week! Also really a celebratory cigar? Yes please! If my country had a day for "Non-Smoking", then I would celebrate that day by puffing! :D

Anyway I did take a look at the link you provided and would like to say that I do not want some of those steps, I think that my path is my own; it kind of has to be. No two y@};- 's are alike they have to be tended in different ways.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

prayer is simply communication, Kristoffer, between oneself and God. You praise, you weep, you ask, you thank for yourself and others. If there is one thing I have personally learned, is how much God wants honesty. HOnest doubts, honest praises and the most immense growth I have seen in my relationship has been why I have been emotionally honest.

I would recommend reading through the Psalms for a good idea of some of the prayers that God wants from us. You will see some amazing prayers, some even expressing anger towards God.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

zoegirl wrote: HOnest doubts, honest praises and the most immense growth I have seen in my relationship has been why I have been emotionally honest.
I think ambivalence is my Emotional state at the moment, I am very sad, but also kind of happy. But the sadness is of a pestilential kind that waxes and wanes with the passing days. It is Emotional Stressful to feel many different things at once I find, I would be of the preference that I would like to be in control of my emotions but sometimes life just feels like a joy-ride.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

I would be of the preference that I would like to be in control of my emotions but sometimes life just feels like a joy-ride.
You and me both1!! GOd promises to be with us but not take away all of our trials and certainly not all of our doubts, at least at once.

Kristoffer, I would dare you to offer up a simple prayer to God that He would reveal Himself to you. What do you have to lose? If God isn't real then nothing will happen. Keep asking, keep asking, and keep asking.
sinnerbybirth
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by sinnerbybirth »

Zoe is right, Kristoffer. Honestly, what do you have to loose?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Kristoffer wrote:Yes i have heard of the 12 step plan, but I am not an alcoholic :lol: I do like occasional cigar and whisky, but in incredible moderation, 3 shots at the beginning, the middle and the end of the week! Also really a celebratory cigar? Yes please! If my country had a day for "Non-Smoking", then I would celebrate that day by puffing! :D

Anyway I did take a look at the link you provided and would like to say that I do not want some of those steps, I think that my path is my own; it kind of has to be. No two y@};- 's are alike they have to be tended in different ways.
Not just alcoholics.. Everyone has some form of addiction.

But yes.. Many people are fearful of step four. Taking a moral inventory is something that many folks do not wish to do..

Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Gman wrote: But yes.. Many people are fearful of step four. Taking a moral inventory is something that many folks do not wish to do..
If it is similar to a "Ethical Formulation of Moral Correction", then I have done that over and over again. Everyone has faults and everyone should be capable of reforming. This moral inventory seems to be, to list fualts and to try and correct them. I have done this before many times.(mostly for other people)
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Kristoffer wrote:
Gman wrote: But yes.. Many people are fearful of step four. Taking a moral inventory is something that many folks do not wish to do..
If it is similar to a "Ethical Formulation of Moral Correction", then I have done that over and over again. Everyone has faults and everyone should be capable of reforming. This moral inventory seems to be, to list fualts and to try and correct them. I have done this before many times.(mostly for other people)
Maybe not for you, but many people have problems admitting their wrongs or that they are sinful persons... Many people (and other religions) are simply terrified to admit this.

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Hey Kris,

Can you admit that there is no goodness in you? Can you admit that you are evil before a holy God?

Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

There is both goodness and evilness in me, but trust me in entirely unequal measure. As Much as i sometimes wish to just Knock people out, I know that a different way is probably the best one. y/:)

I think it is more positive to consider yourself a worth while and decent individual than to consider yourself worthless and evil although I am sure there are people in the world who probably take the opposite stance.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

The doctrine of total depravity doesn't necessitate people having no goodness in them, but that no goodness is perfectly good. Most "goodness" is still polluted with selfish desires or selfish motivations
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Kristoffer wrote:There is both goodness and evilness in me, but trust me in entirely unequal measure. As Much as i sometimes wish to just Knock people out, I know that a different way is probably the best one. y/:)

I think it is more positive to consider yourself a worth while and decent individual than to consider yourself worthless and evil although I am sure there are people in the world who probably take the opposite stance.
Sure, an "accurate" self image is always more truthful than a "good" self image. The acknowledgment of the good and bad in our lives... But before God there really isn't any scales since he demands complete goodness or perfection. Can we say that we are completely good? I don't know about you, but for me... No. Before God I'm evil. Once you take a hard look into your soul I believe you will see it too.. Until you acknowledge this, you really can't move closer to the light or Him...