Favorite Book of the Bible........Why?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
sinnerbybirth
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Favorite Book of the Bible........Why?

Post by sinnerbybirth »

We have 66 books in the Bible and almost all Christians seem to have a favorite passage or book. I see alot of signitures on this site with scriptures added. So, this is part of the reason for the question.

Although the book of John is the one that convicted me to finally make the decision to except Chist as my savior. It also showed me that I was not the Christian I thought I was. For me, it was as if someone turned the light on. I finally felt the Love and Grace of GOD.

But, I have always been drawn to the book of Job. My favorite part of Job has to be when the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind. I still get goosebumps when I read Job 38. It seems to humble me when I think I know more than I really do, LOL(which is most of the time). There are several things about Job beside the Lord showing up and questioning Job and his friends. One thing I have always wondered is why did satin take everthing from Job except his wife? y:-/ (insert joke if you wish) She did tell Job to "just curse GOD and die." Also, the widom, or the lack or wisdom Job's friends seem to have. If I were one of Job's friends when the Lord shows up, I would no dought have tried to find a place to hide.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else may want to share their story about a favorite book or passage of the Bible.

Peace, and May God Bless!
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Re: Favorite Book of the Bible........Why?

Post by cslewislover »

sinnerbybirth wrote: One thing I have always wondered is why did satin take everthing from Job except his wife? y:-/ (insert joke if you wish) She did tell Job to "just curse GOD and die." Also, the widom, or the lack or wisdom Job's friends seem to have. If I were one of Job's friends when the Lord shows up, I would no dought have tried to find a place to hide.
:pound: Yeah, like Satan considered her part of his misery or something? Lol. She probably was just so grief-stricken, but it also shows how righteous Job was. I love that book too, and I have an essay on it which I could provide you the link for (I think I have it online still, lol y:-? Um, obviously I haven't been keeping up with my blog page :lol: ). I love the gospel of John as well, but it's hard to have a favorite book or passage. Ephesians and Philippians are very encouraging!
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

I'd have to say John and Romans. Hard to pick favorites though, they're all decent (lol) for various reasons. All the gospels and Acts would be up there as well. Ephesians is a good one... Revelation is always interesting.

In the Old Testament I've always loved 1 Samuel through 2 Chronicles (2 Kings being a highlight), probably because I love history and epic novels about kingdoms and wars and all that (obviously we aren't supposed to read it JUST to be entertained, but some of those stories are very fun to read). Proverbs is full, full of wisdom, and Isaiah has some absolutely beautiful poetry.

As you can see, kind of hard for me to narrow it down.
Young, Restless, Reformed
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

Thaanks CS, I would like to read that essay.
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

Judges has some good action, but proverbs&ecclesiastes is where you can get some good advice. I would say as a romance the song of Solomon although I am finding parts of that baffling.
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Judges is good, you see God's redemptive history even in the OT there...I actually really appreciate the book of Job...it's so...good. I like Romans and Ephesians. Song of Solomon...lol...well...on many levels...rather humorous to sometimes hear pastors try to preach of it, especially if they focus on the Ahem...more earthy parts of it.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

I do enjoy the song of solomon.
I'm still waiting for my pastor to preach a good sermon on it. :lol:
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

I've heard a couple of good ones....they are the ones that don't shy away from the physical side of it, nor do they shy away from the higher spritual side of it. It is rather humorous to see the awkwardness when talking about it. Especially considering some of the imagery!!
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

zoegirl wrote:I actually really appreciate the book of Job...it's so...good.
Poetically Jobe is good but scientifically it is err...slightly innacurate, no there are no jars of water in the sky! :lol:

Also it paints a picture of Satan where he doesn't seem like that bad a being, in fact he seems to be friends with god! I would really invite him around for a drink and cigar if I could.*

*puts note in diary, 8PM Wed; Wine & Cigar with Lord of Darkness*
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

GOod grief, Kristoffer, there is nothing to say that interpret everything literally in scripture. There is narrative, there is prose, there is figurative language, poetry, historical narrative...

That's what can be so frustrating when atheists sometimes come here with guns ablazing with some criticism of scripture. Clearly their criticism shows the barest understanding of Hebrew language. Clearly in much of the wisdom books like JOb and the Song of Solomon, there are plenty of uses of figurative language, unless you truly think that the lover thought his lover's breasts truly were like deer....
diane
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by diane »

When I was a kid I heard John 10:10 when I was at VBS. That verse made everything click for me and I suddenly understood the point of everything. Even now, as an adult, I think of the meaning behind that verse and I'm instantly reminded of the love God has for me and I remember what this life is really about.
Different_Name
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Different_Name »

Leviticus. It's come in handy quite a few times.

I also like Genesis because it provides a history of the first 2500 years or so of mankind.
I like Judges because it has a lot of awesome parts.

As for the New Testament, I'd say Mark, because it's a short, to the point biography of Jesus.
Human
Familiar Member

Post by Human »

Hmm....the whole Gospel is most important, for what I can see. I'd go with book of John here. Although, 1 Corinthians is also up there. :D