Loving Atheists

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Vicz
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Loving Atheists

Post by Vicz »

I recently had the audacity (gaul or perhaps courage), to invade an atheist forum and leave some posts in their "Lion's Den" topic area. The Lion's Den was for Christians who could discuss their religion reasonably. I invited atheists to review my free eBook, Loving Atheists and particularly a section I posted. The section I posted, which was the chapter relating to natural selection (I believe the chapter title is Supernatural Selection) dealt with the idea that consciousness has something to do with choices and choices have to do with natural selection. If animals (and we, for that matter) have a choice and they choose to do one thing over another, they could improve their gene pool. That would be a self-driven improvement. But, if it is done unconsciously, then we might be able to say it is a God-driven improvement to the gene pool.

That said, I made the point that if it is a self-driven selection (or choice) we are making, then it could go that choosing to make Jesus our Lord and Savior is the next natural selection we should make--actually a Supernatural Selection which will GREATLY improve our gene pool. Just ideas.

They put the idea down because, they claimed, consciousness is not involved--only the being's body interacting with their environment. What do you think? Did I have a point? Please take a look at my free eBook "Loving Atheists" and comment. Available at my site as a free download. http://www.JoyfulChristianLiving.com (I'm not selling anything so this should be okay.) Thanks
Enjoy my free PDF eBooks: Shall I pray or Watch TV? and Loving Atheists at my site, //www.JoyfulChristianLiving.com.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Loving Atheists

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I can understand why they would shoot it down.

From a Christian Perspective, even an Old Earth Creationist or Theistic Evolutionist perspective, the role of natural selection is going to be limited to that role which God assigns to it, and even then, from the perspective of God's omnipotence and omniscence at best you can simply see it as a device or means, the final outcome of which, God still is in control.

Einstein understood this when he said, "God does not play dice with the universe."

Thanks for the offer of the book.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Vicz
Newbie Member

Post by Vicz »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I can understand why they would shoot it down.

From a Christian Perspective, even an Old Earth Creationist or Theistic Evolutionist perspective, the role of natural selection is going to be limited to that role which God assigns to it, and even then, from the perspective of God's omnipotence and omniscence at best you can simply see it as a device or means, the final outcome of which, God still is in control.

Einstein understood this when he said, "God does not play dice with the universe."

Thanks for the offer of the book.
It is sad that nothing can point to God in their perspective. All life must only be physical. There is no acknowledgment of consciousness having anything to do with our lives. We are mere matter in their eyes. People can actually believe this to such a degree, that they sense no purpose for their lives. In addition, they feel somewhat smug about their hopeless position and do not desire to be "saved" by the Christian community. Their attitude is, "Leave us alone. Why do you feel you have to save us?"

I would ask you to join with me in prayer for those who "need no help" from God. I believe that, at times, the messenger may be tainted with carnality of the world, but the Message of Jesus Christ should transcend it all. I pray that OUR focus on Jesus is magnified, increased to such a degree that there can be no mistake in God's authority here on earth. Wouldn't it be great if our faith was go great and our hearts so filled with God's love, when we walked into a room, people would cry out, repenting from their sins--and healings would be many. Jesus said we'd do what He was doing and even greater things (not for our glory, but for His). Jesus often said, "Oh, you of little faith." How can we be the light in the dark world of the atheists and secular humanists who live in this age of "rationality" where miracles are demoted to myths and the supernatural made to be just the unexplained "natural"?

Thanks for adding your two cents, Canuckster.
Enjoy my free PDF eBooks: Shall I pray or Watch TV? and Loving Atheists at my site, //www.JoyfulChristianLiving.com.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

You're welcome.

You've pretty much nailed it in terms of secular humanism and the form that a lot of atheism takes. It really does come down to the framework of how you view the world. Materialism or Progressivism denies the existence or relevence of anything that cannot be observed or inferred directly from physical evidence. The logical extension of that position results in nihilism or extreme cynicism and it is a sad existence to my observation.

It's interesting though that many from those camps don't recognize that and instead they attempt to set up some universal absolutes which they adhere to with a faith that is similar to what we as Christians exercise in what we accept as truth.

I agree with you that prayer is the most effective tool we have at our disposal in terms of reaching many in the extreme camps. Miracles do happen and people we might otherwise never expect to respond to the message of Hope in Christ do respond sometimes even if it is to our amazement.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Vicz
Newbie Member

Post by Vicz »

Just a quick update. I have shared "Loving Atheists" at a liberal press site on the Web (Podiobooks.com) and it is now a free, serialized book which you can download and listen to in 1/2 hour episodes. Please come a support my entry into this very liberal arena and feel free to comment on the book at the blog area. Be courteous and kind there, please should you choose to go. The truth does not need defense.

Go to http://www.podiobooks.com/title/loving-atheists to begin listening to this book. Thanks for representing Christ while you are there.

Vic

PS. I have changed the title of the book to "The Difficult Task of Loving Atheists" Thanks
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Vicz wrote:Just a quick update. I have shared "Loving Atheists" at a liberal press site on the Web (Podiobooks.com) and it is now a free, serialized book which you can download and listen to in 1/2 hour episodes. Please come a support my entry into this very liberal arena and feel free to comment on the book at the blog area. Be courteous and kind there, please should you choose to go. The truth does not need defense.

Go to http://www.podiobooks.com/title/loving-atheists to begin listening to this book. Thanks for representing Christ while you are there.

Vic

PS. I have changed the title of the book to "The Difficult Task of Loving Atheists" Thanks
Thanks Vic. Sounds interesting. Is there a written format? I find it hard listening to the reading. :P
Vicz
Newbie Member

Post by Vicz »

Yes, The Difficult Task of Loving Atheists is available for free from http://www.thefinalharvest.org/books.htm. You can either read it online or download a PDF document of it. Just scroll down until you see that title and choose online or PDF. Scrolling down further takes you to our serialized audio books over at Podiobooks.com. Thanks for your note. Vic