Questions about refuting Islam...

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
derrick09
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Questions about refuting Islam...

Post by derrick09 »

Hello, I'm needing some ideas and resources on how Christian apologists refute Islam. First off, can it be refuted much like how Mormonism is refuted i.e. showing logical errors within key doctrines or from archeology or do you have to take a different approach? Also, I've been hearing a lot about moderate Muslims and how they are less violent than radical Muslims, but from what I understand are moderate Muslims sort of like Christian heretics, people who follow a watered down and inaccurate version of their religion? From what I've looked into thus far, if you want to be a real Muslim i.e. a Muslim that follows the most accurate interpretation of the Koran and the most accurate orthodox version of Islam you would have to adhere to the ideas of what most of us call Islamic extremists. What I"m wondering is, is there pretty good evidence to suggest that? If that's the case than that's another major nail in that religion's coffin for sure. But anyway, thanks and God bless. :wave:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
smiley
Established Member

Re: Questions about refuting Islam...

Post by smiley »

The Qur'an is like an Old Testament that never had a Jesus Christ to rebuke all the violence in it.

Anyhow, the truth or falsehood of the Islam faith isn't dependent on how it relates to modern morality.
"Imagine if we picked the wrong god. Every time we go to church, we're just make him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson
derrick09
Valued Member

Post by derrick09 »

Thanks, but is there anyone else that can give some more ideas on this?
August
Old School

Post by August »

Derrick,

This is a very sensitive topic. Tread carefully. I have received threats in the past for what I am about to say.

1. Despite their assertions to the contrary, there is no certainty about the Qur'an's reliability. Where the Bible has ample manuscript evidence, no such thing exists for the Qu'ran. In fact, there were several versions of the Qu'ran, and the winning warlord, Uthman, destroyed all the other versions. Why was that necessary if they were all the same, as claimed by Muslims? Even after Uthman, changes continued to the Qu'ran. This is confirmed by hadiths which speak of missing suras. Simply put, the Qu'ran is not as perfectly preserved as Muslims would have us believe.

2. The Qu'ran is full of contradictions and inconsistencies. See the site I recommend below for the complete list. To be fair, Muslim scholars do attempt to answer these, just like Christian apologists, and each of the replies need to be evaluated on its own merit.

3. The other issue that always invokes a lot of anger is about the satanic verses. These are verses in the Qu'ran where Muhammad talks about 3 idols, and how people should bow down before them, i.e they were also "gods". Later on, Muhammad claims that he was under the influence of Satan when he wrote that, and the verses are abrogated. My questions is...how do we not know he was influenced by Satan for other parts, or even the whole Qu'ran?

Those are the main three points I always try and discuss with Muslims. It is not pleasant.

I can also strongly recommend this site: http://www.answering-islam.org/ if you want a comprehensive resource about Islam.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Derrick, I would try not to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Always pray that God would lead you when witnessing to Muslims. Just like He would lead you when witnessing to any other person. Know the Bible. It's God's word that does the work.Hebrews 4:12. Try not to do it by your own strength. God will speak to those that he wants to touch.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
smiley
Established Member

Post by smiley »

If you're interested in anti-Islam arguments, you can find a comprehensive list of Muslim vs. Christian debates here:

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=171
"Imagine if we picked the wrong god. Every time we go to church, we're just make him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

We can take these one by one if you like..

According to the Koran it is ok to beat your wife...

Surah 4:34 Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them, refuse to share their beds, beat them; but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means: For Allah is Most High, great.

Is this a good or bad practice? Should we uphold these values?

Want more? More here..
http://www.wikiislam.net/wiki/Women
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
derrick09
Valued Member

Post by derrick09 »

Thank you Gman, thank you guys, this is some excellent stuff! I remember from my studying the material of apologist Matt Slick, I remember him offering this interesting argument against Islam, it had to do with scientific inaccuracies in the Koran such as it said somewhere about the human anatomy that male sperm is produced in the chest, which we all know is false, from what I also understand there were a few other scientific errors as well. But anyway, thanks again for your time! :wave: