Conflict 2005

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Anonymous

Conflict 2005

Post by Anonymous »

While studying a religious eduction degree at university, it has become increasingly apparent that there are many religions in the world. With conflicting beliefs, festivals, religious patterns/holidays, commandments/prophecys, gods.

How as a Christian can i first decide the ideals that i live to are correct and that these conflicting religions are incorrect. I am not questioning my faith.

GOD IS GREAT AND OD IS GOOD!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well friend, all religions are exactly the same. wrong!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Don't call me friend....... religion is not wrong, its been around for a lot longer than you and will be round for a lot longer than you. God and the Holy spirit will cast judgement on you when the time is right.

I bet your a lilly livered lefty who doesn't like the commander in chief GEORGE 'JESUS' BUSH

GOD IS GREAT AND GOD IS GOOD.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Re: Conflict 2005

Post by Felgar »

the_nother wrote:How as a Christian can i first decide the ideals that i live to are correct and that these conflicting religions are incorrect. I am not questioning my faith.
First, welcome to the forums the_nother (TN?). :) You may want to swing by the Chit-chat area and introduce yourself; let us know a little of what you're all about!

Anyways, this is a good question. There are many reason why Christianity could be viewed as more credible than other religions, but the ones that each individual takes as important evidence to them is very much a personal thing. That, and with a personal relationship with Jesus it's impossible to deny the truth of His Word. So having faith and growing in the Lord is the main way that you can see the truth demonstrated in your own life.

As for logical reasons there are a few that I take closely to heart. First is the credibility of the Bible and the consistency of it. Despite being written over thousands of years and many authors the Word is extremely consistent and more insightful than we can comprehend, really. The more you learn the Word, the more this becomes apparent.

And the other one is simply that Christianity is the only religion that permits living freely in faith. Salvation through works just can't work, and no other belief system does away with works in the way Jesus does, replacing those works with a heart unto the Lord. To me, it just makes sense.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Conflict 2005

Post by Kurieuo »

the_nother wrote:How as a Christian can i first decide the ideals that i live to are correct and that these conflicting religions are incorrect. I am not questioning my faith.
I think one should work out what is it one is meaning when they say Christianity is correct, while other beliefs are wrong. What would you mean by this?

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Paddy Conor O'Bradbury wrote:Well friend, all religions are exactly the same. wrong!
Hello Paddy, and welcome. In reviewing your first posts, it's painfully clear that you definately do not agree with our religious views. In and of itself this is not a problem, and you're certainly welcome to stick around to discuss various issues, and inquire about what we actually believe and why we believe it, if you're not quite sure. But I must stress the same thing I've stressed to other atheists who have joined us...

Please be aware that the primary purpose of this site is for Christians to discuss issues with and encourage fellow believers. This is not a Christian vs. Atheist debate board, though there are others on the net if you'd prefer that type of environment. As such - though we're always happy to respond to sincere questions from someone seeking to learn about Christianity - outright attacks on Christianity will not be tolerated. For a more detailed explanation of the board and its objectives, I refer you to the Board Purpose which is also found at the top of the page just under the banner.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I appologise i mean in the broader sense. when studying religions it became aparent that there are contradictions. While i believe that christianity is correct and have never doubted this belief. I have never been able to answer the question why other people belief in such different religions and gods.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Felgar, i mean no offence to either you or your beliefs i am mearly questioning you religion. i hope you can forgive me if i caused any offence but i am from the stance that i don't believe in any form of religion.
but i have nothing against any religion, i belive we are all free to lead our lives in any way we like. but thank you for your time.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

the_nother wrote:Don't call me friend....... religion is not wrong, its been around for a lot longer than you and will be round for a lot longer than you. God and the Holy spirit will cast judgement on you when the time is right.

I bet your a lilly livered lefty who doesn't like the commander in chief GEORGE 'JESUS' BUSH

GOD IS GREAT AND GOD IS GOOD.
What religion is it you profess to believe in? I know of none who contain a deity named George Bush. There seems to be a little confusion here.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i think that the nother is refering to George Bush not a the context of being divine himself (far from it) just that his beliefs are that of a strong christian stance which from previous posts i do not adhere to myself
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Paddy Conor O'Bradbury wrote:Felgar, i mean no offence to either you or your beliefs i am mearly questioning you religion. i hope you can forgive me if i caused any offence but i am from the stance that i don't believe in any form of religion.
but i have nothing against any religion, i belive we are all free to lead our lives in any way we like. but thank you for your time.
Ok, thank you Paddy. I think the key is discussing why you believe what you believe and why we believe what we believe. Simply making an unsupported value statement like "I'm right, and you're wrong" isn't much of a discussion and those are the threads that tend to get into mindless atheist vs. Christian mudslinging that we're trying to avoid. As long as you hold some respect for the purpose of our home here, I'm sure you'll be fine. :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

well in some strange way i think we may be singing of the same hyme sheet. i do wonder why so many people think different things.
but isnt it great that everyone can think whatever they like.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Paddy Conor O'Bradbury wrote:but isnt it great that everyone can think whatever they like.
Yes it is great.

As an example of meaningful discussion, a thread entitled, "What makes us free?" might inspire a good discussion about your views on the mechanism by which you have free will and about our views on the same matter. :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

well i happen to think that i have my choices due to having the ability to think freely without restriction. i know what will entail risk and what won't. tell me does your 'god' restrict your choices due what you perceive in you mind (due to you beliefs) to be right or wrong or are you free to make any choice you want. i belive that in both your beliefs and those of my own we both face consequences but of different themes.
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

Paddy Conor O'Bradbury wrote:well i happen to think that i have my choices due to having the ability to think freely without restriction. i know what will entail risk and what won't. tell me does your 'god' restrict your choices due what you perceive in you mind (due to you beliefs) to be right or wrong or are you free to make any choice you want. i belive that in both your beliefs and those of my own we both face consequences but of different themes.
I can sin right now, it's not impossible.

However, I'd feel terrible if I did, do you purposely murder to prove you can?