Glossolalia. Is it biblical?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Glossolalia. Is it biblical?

Post by RickD »

Is glossolalia, as some Christians practice today, biblical? The Apostles in Acts spoke in different tongues(languages) so that all who heard, could hear the gospel in their own language. It was given to the apostles at that time. It wasn't practiced like the "tongues" of modern Christians is practiced today. Is modern day babbling, as heard in different churches, even biblical? I have my own opinions, but I'd like to hear some opinions of Christians who have come out of those churches where this "tongues" is practiced. Is it from God, from man, of something else?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Glossolalia. Is it biblical?

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:Is glossolalia, as some Christians practice today, biblical? The Apostles in Acts spoke in different tongues(languages) so that all who heard, could hear the gospel in their own language. It was given to the apostles at that time. It wasn't practiced like the "tongues" of modern Christians is practiced today. Is modern day babbling, as heard in different churches, even biblical? I have my own opinions, but I'd like to hear some opinions of Christians who have come out of those churches where this "tongues" is practiced. Is it from God, from man, of something else?
There is no question that speaking in tongues is a phenomenal event. The question however what it's purpose is, is twofold.

1. Was is used by the disciples to spread the word of God to other nations?

or

2. Is it a supernatural way to communicate with God?

I would argue that tongues was a supernatural way to spread the word of God. The occasion of Speaking in Tongues on Pentecost was done by the Holy Spirit (supernaturally)...One voice, but everyone heard it in their own language...it cannot be duplicated or manufactured by mere mortal men. Acts 2:4.

Why was this given?

a) To reveal the power of God. Act 2: 11, 12.
b) To reverse the work at the tower of Babel where God confounded man's language due to their rebellion. Gen. 11:9. Basically at the tower of Babel God split man apart via languages, at Pentecost he unites them once again (under the Holy Spirit this time).

2) Another occasion of Speaking in tongues is merely a gift of God that allows a person to accurately interpret another language. Some people have a natural ability to pick up other languages.

Why was it given?

a) Mainly to spread the word of God to other nations. 1 Cor. 14:22
b) To reveal the works of the Holy Spirit.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:Is glossolalia, as some Christians practice today, biblical? The Apostles in Acts spoke in different tongues(languages) so that all who heard, could hear the gospel in their own language. It was given to the apostles at that time. It wasn't practiced like the "tongues" of modern Christians is practiced today. Is modern day babbling, as heard in different churches, even biblical? I have my own opinions, but I'd like to hear some opinions of Christians who have come out of those churches where this "tongues" is practiced. Is it from God, from man, of something else?
"Modern tongues" biblical? No, I don't believe so. At least, I don't really believe there is anything in Scripture on par with what is practised in modern churches today.

However, if God is personal, than regardless of what you or I think, it makes sense God would deal with people in different ways according to their own circumstance, culture, experiences and beliefs.

Although I believe Christians should be real and careful, belief in tongues (modern form) is one such practice God can and does touch people. Examine those sincerely worshipping God and talking in tongues. Particularly during worship. I find it difficult to say such people are not experiencing something divine. Yes, you have your showmen who may play spiritual games, but you also have those sincerely worshipping God and tongues forms a part of their worship.

So, is it Biblical. No, at least I don't think so. But many things good and bad are not touched on in the Bible. If God can use evil that has happened for good, then God can certainly make use of our personal beliefs. Modern tongues as found in Pentecostal churches is perhaps more an issue of everyone to their own conscience and belief.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Those who practice it think it is biblical, those who don't, don't.

I went to a very charismatic college and I've heard all the teachings on it, ranging from prayer language, baptisim of the Holy Spirit with tongues as the initial evidence, prophetic utterances, signs to unbelievers etc.

You'd almost have to deal with these individually rather than lumping them together.

I don't practice it nor do I miss it. I think the practice today is over-rated but I agree with K that we need to be careful dismissing it.

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender