Tithing

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
jeffburke67
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Tithing

Post by jeffburke67 »

Does Christians have to tithe?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Tithing

Post by Canuckster1127 »

No. But they can choose to.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Sudsy
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Tithing

Post by Sudsy »

Since this topic already exists and I see not many have added any views regarding the subject, I thought I might give an opinion on tithing.

I was raised to tithe and this was determined to mean I was to give 10% of my net paycheck to the local church. I know other tithers stress 10% of gross pay but in my case it was considered to be 10% of net. I still consider what I give with this one tenth in mind as a minimum in giving. We were taught, 'free will offerings' (I think they were called) and any other appeals for monies were to be given on top of this 10%.

My personal view is that in the New Covenant era, after Pentecost, there is no set amount one is to give. All of what we have is God's. Whatever we decide to give we are to give not out of a feeling of obligation but rather cheerfully as unto the Lord.

It seems to me that the amount we give is not as important as the amount we keep to live on. For instance, a wealthy person can give 10% of gross and still live a very extravagant way of life. For a poor person, 10% of gross or net might cause them additional suffering. It seems to me the scripture story regarding the widow's mite Luke 21:1-4 shows us that Jesus notices the amount left to live on rather than the amount given. It is about what kind of sacrifice we are making when we give cheerfully. I think it was Mr. Colgate (Colgate Toothpaste) who kept increasing his giving until he was actully living off the 10% and giving 90% of his income.

So how much should we give ? Hmmm y:-? For perhaps many of us in this culture, we have trouble sorting out what real needs are as the marketing techniques brainwash us to believe many things we just can't live without. In scripture we read that we should be content with just food and clothing. I guess it comes down to what is really in our hearts to give and what we will keep to live on. With that said, it makes me question the goodness of my own heart. :oops:

Anyway, just some thoughts to throw in and perhaps get some opinions on this area of tithing.