Complex Life only Developed Once?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Complex Life only Developed Once?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Article in New Scientist

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... nline-news

What does this say about prior arguments that intelligent life evolved and is present elsewhere? Note the emphasis on what it takes in terms of energy and entropy for simple life-forms to go to complex and now, scientists stating with a great deal of confidence, that we may in fact just be the only planet with such life.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Byblos
Old School

Re: Complex Life only Developed Once?

Post by Byblos »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Article in New Scientist

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... nline-news

What does this say about prior arguments that intelligent life evolved and is present elsewhere? Note the emphasis on what it takes in terms of energy and entropy for simple life-forms to go to complex and now, scientists stating with a great deal of confidence, that we may in fact just be the only planet with such life.
Great article, thanks Bart.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Complex Life only Developed Once?

Post by jlay »

We have the perfect conditions for life right here on planet earth. And yet we have zero evidence of simple life forms going complex.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious