1 Timothy 2:15: women saved through childbearing

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

1 Timothy 2:15: women saved through childbearing

Post by Christian2 »

1 Timothy 2:15 (NIV)

11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15But women[a] will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Verse 15 is very difficult to understand. I've read lots of commentaries and the one I think best is:

http://carm.org/1-tim-215-she-they-and- ... ld-bearing

Any thoughts from others would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Sudsy
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: 1 Timothy 2:15: women saved through childbearing

Post by Sudsy »

I agree the one you referenced is the best I have heard yet. IMO, there are many texts in the New Testament that were primarily directed at the 1st. Century Christians and their specific situations at that time. Even topics like Gehenna and many prophesies were fulfilled within that generation. There is much to consider by studying the historical setting and how things would be understood by who these texts were originally written to. I think many splits within Christianity can be traced to differences in the application of some of these texts in what they mean to us today.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Remember too, that not everything in the Bible is declarative as the word of God. Paul clarifies here that this is his practice. There's no evidence that there's a command of God. Also, Paul and the NT in general are not afraid to use passages from the OT in a very "loose" way, at least compared to how many of us today approach scripture. The Hebrew mind set was less focused upon things like context and were very willing to use scriptural analogies in that manner. In other places Paul, takes pains to clarify things that are his opinion or practice vs. directly from God.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Sudsy wrote:I agree the one you referenced is the best I have heard yet. IMO, there are many texts in the New Testament that were primarily directed at the 1st. Century Christians and their specific situations at that time. Even topics like Gehenna and many prophesies were fulfilled within that generation. There is much to consider by studying the historical setting and how things would be understood by who these texts were originally written to. I think many splits within Christianity can be traced to differences in the application of some of these texts in what they mean to us today.
It's the best one I could find and it is certainly necessary to understand who the texts were originally written to and why. What was going on in those times.

Paul's comment about women should remain silent in the Churches is another one.