General science related question about oil

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

General science related question about oil

Post by cubeus19 »

I was wanting to ask a interesting science related question about oil. From what I've always understood, oil is a finite resource, a substance made from dead decayed plants and animals notably dinosaurs and that it took millions of years for it to mellow and form into what we call oil. Now just recently I came across some scientists who cast doubt on that theory saying that they think oil is regularly made underneath the earths surface from a combination of high pressure, heat, and mantle deep within the earth and it's done in such a way that it is possible for oil wells to refill themselves. I was just curious is this theory has any solid evidence for it or if it is something that yec groups would make up. Do any of you give this other theory any credit or do you still hold to the traditional theory that oil is finite and is made from dead plants and animals over millions of years? Just curious to what you think. Thankx.
kmr
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: General science related question about oil

Post by kmr »

Oil is made from organic materials (plants). Whether it takes millions of years or not is for the scientists, but the energy used for burning in the oil comes from the organic functions performed when the creatures were alive. There are not many elements or compounds existing that will burn like oil without coming from an organic source.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!