Needing some good books on prayer...

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
derrick09
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Needing some good books on prayer...

Post by derrick09 »

Hey guys, I'm looking for some good books on prayer who are written by either Christian apologists or people who are influenced by Christian apologists. Basically I want a book on prayer that is Biblical and intellectual without all the sugary emotionalism and poetic talk. Now a few years ago back when I wasn't as sharp in apologetics like I am now I picked up a book on prayer by Philip Yancey called "Prayer, does it make any difference?". It seemed at first to be the kind of book I was looking for but after I got to reading some of it and found out more about the author, I started to wonder if he was a good source since it is well documented that he has a more liberal view on homosexuality and that he advocates the idea of open theism. Since open theism is widely rejected doctrine of the church and that in turn would effect people's view on prayer like Yancey's I'm now wanting to look for another book, does anyone have any good suggestions? Thank you for your time guys and God bless. :wave:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Re: Needing some good books on prayer...

Post by zoegirl »

It's not a book about prayer per se but it is a wonderful resource for praying...."The Valley of Vision" which is a collection of Puritan Prayers. Very beautiful, very deep prayers that really help with prayer.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Derrick, There's some people I respect who tend toward Open Theism, such as Greg Boyd, so don't assume that that taints and makes everything else they say suspect. That's a gross overreaction, in my opinion.

E.M. Bounds, the Power of Prayer is a standard for many people. It's an older book. It's written in a style that might not quite fit what you note above, but frankly, prayer is more than an intellectual exercise so I wound't rule out or ignore some of those older works even with their "poetic talk." There's an element of mystery to our relationship with God and there should be more than just intellectualism and processes to something like prayer, in my opinion.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Sudsy
Established Member

Post by Sudsy »

I enjoyed 'Intercessory Prayer' by Dutch Sheets -

http://www.identitynetwork.net/apps/sto ... emid=10563
derrick09
Valued Member

Post by derrick09 »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Derrick, There's some people I respect who tend toward Open Theism, such as Greg Boyd, so don't assume that that taints and makes everything else they say suspect. That's a gross overreaction, in my opinion.

E.M. Bounds, the Power of Prayer is a standard for many people. It's an older book. It's written in a style that might not quite fit what you note above, but frankly, prayer is more than an intellectual exercise so I wound't rule out or ignore some of those older works even with their "poetic talk." There's an element of mystery to our relationship with God and there should be more than just intellectualism and processes to something like prayer, in my opinion.
Let's see I'm still kind of confused on what makes someone a Christian and what makes someone a heretic when it comes to doctrine. I've heard of some people who say that people who hold to open theism are not Christian, but then again I've heard some people say that if you hold to old earth creationism or any other view of creation other than young earth you are a heretic, so go figure. I guess as long as you believe that Christ is God, was raised from the dead, and that your sins are forgiven through his work on the cross you are a Christian and the rest is nonessential. But oh well, I've got a ton of more things to learn.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I think some will be amazed at who we meet in eternity and who might be missing.

Theology is important. In the end however, it is Christ who saves us and many elements in theology are less important than whether we know, love and have placed our trust in Him. There's no shortage of heresy hunters who are more than willing to place themselfs on the judgement throne of God. We're to discern and do our best to understand, but in terms of anyone else's eternity with God, I'll leave that to God and God alone.

Heresy existed right from the time of the early church and then it was about vital issues such as whether Christ was really God, the Trinity really the best explanation of the nature of God etc. The term was used then of people who denied things that were (and still are) at the very center and to see things differently, and act upon it, might lead to compromising the person of Christ. Today, there are some who attempt to affix that label on issues that while important, don't rise to that level at all, and all it really shows, in my opinion, is the inability of some to disagree gracefully with one another and instead recognize how much we agree about.

Assuming that someone is saved or lost based solely on how they understand something is dangerously close itself to an early heresy known as gnosticism. Intellectual understanding is important, but it is Christ who saves us and I think there are many who throw the term "heresy" around and who attempt to attach it to others, who better hope that God will be more gracious with them, than they are with others.

My opinion of course. You're free to see it differently.

blessings,

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Sudsy
Established Member

Post by Sudsy »

Amen from me Bart. I think this statement is especially food for thought - 'hope that God will be more gracious with them, than they are with others' and I think this we need to keep in mind with all our disagreements, big or small.