New question about the big bang & the cosmological argument

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
derrick09
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

New question about the big bang & the cosmological argument

Post by derrick09 »

Hello guys, I recently came across this headline, http://www.usnews.com/science/articles/ ... birth.html It's about a recent finding within the universe's cosmic background radiation that suggests that the initial singularity event that sparked the creation of the universe was not the first one, but there were other previous explosions that went on before the big one that sparked our universe. Now if that is the case, does that suggest that the universe is eternal? Or if it doesn't will it hurt the cosmological argument in any way? In my opinion, if it does NOT show that our universe is eternal than I don't think it will hurt the cosmological argument in any way, it won't necessarily help it or make it stronger, but it won't hurt it. Also, here is the link to the peer reviewed article on this finding.http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.3706 Thanks and GB. :wave:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: New question about the big bang & the cosmological argum

Post by narnia4 »

I think apologists and philosophers have sufficiently proven that an infinite regression is illogical and therefore an eternal universe isn't the correct solution here. I don't think this shows that the universe is eternal either.
Young, Restless, Reformed
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

If the universe were eternal, then how would we have ever arrived at today? You can't get to a fixed point in time, (like the moment you are reading this) if there is infinite time before.

If anything, what it shows is how little we really know about the cosmos. Not matter what we presume.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

narnia4 wrote:I think apologists and philosophers have sufficiently proven that an infinite regression is illogical and therefore an eternal universe isn't the correct solution here. I don't think this shows that the universe is eternal either.
Even mathematicians have more than sufficiently proven that an infinite regression is unworkable because it violates finite mathematics principles, principles which describe the very nature of our universe.
jlay wrote:If the universe were eternal, then how would we have ever arrived at today? You can't get to a fixed point in time, (like the moment you are reading this) if there is infinite time before.
That may not necessarily be true. Even on a theoretically infinite line one can traverse between two fixed points.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

That may not necessarily be true. Even on a theoretically infinite line one can traverse between two fixed points.
The problem is you just don't have anyway to get to that point. Sure, you can hypothesize a infinite universe, and then make that statement. But it sure comes with a lot of complications. That means all space, time and matter have existed infinitely. Remember, you have an infinite amount of time before you. For example. If the universe were infinitely old, then the 2nd law of thermodynamics would say that the universe should be cold, dead, and lifeless. It would have already run out of energy because it has been running infinitely. No matter what fixed point you are on this line, infinity came before. So how can you get to a fixed point, if you've had infinity before that moment. It doesn't compute.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jlay wrote:
The problem is you just don't have anyway to get to that point. Sure, you can hypothesize a infinite universe, and then make that statement. But it sure comes with a lot of complications. That means all space, time and matter have existed infinitely. Remember, you have an infinite amount of time before you. For example. If the universe were infinitely old, then the 2nd law of thermodynamics would say that the universe should be cold, dead, and lifeless. It would have already run out of energy because it has been running infinitely. No matter what fixed point you are on this line, infinity came before. So how can you get to a fixed point, if you've had infinity before that moment. It doesn't compute.
Lol, J I'm not disagreeing with you. It's just from a mathematical standpoint only, it could be argued as I stated. I fully agree its applicability to existence fails.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
derrick09
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by derrick09 »

Here is a review of this discovery from RTB.

http://reasons.edgeboss.net/download/re ... 1215JZ.mp3
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by kmr »

I think what jlay is saying is that you cannot have two distinct dimensions operating separately in the same universe. For example, we cannot have 2D objects (square) in our 4D dimensions, because no mater how much you slice up a cube, in this dimension even infinitely you will never be able to make it a square. Likewise, no matter how much you multiply, even infinitely, a square will never become a cube. That's why, I think he's saying, an infinite universe (in more than four dimensions) could not have finite laws and dimensions operating separately at the same time of a lower dimension, it is mathematically impossible except in the abstract theory of an infinite line, which cannot exist.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!