Cool it earth!!

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Cool it earth!!

Post by Gman »

Ok here is a question I have for our YEC dudes. If God created the universe and the earth in six literal days, how is the earth going to cool fast enough in order to create plants on day three? Genesis 1: 11-12 Or animals and humans the following days later? Genesis 1: 26-27

We all know that the earth's surface was very hot back then and it's core is still that way today. I have never heard a good response for this.. :|

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Cool it earth!!

Post by jlay »

Wow! You've got a picture and everything. Did you take that?
We all know that the earth's surface was very hot back then and it's core is still that way today.
We all know? What you mean, is that many theorize. We don't know because there is absolutely know observational way to know. Unless of course, you were there, and your picture is genuine.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote:Wow! You've got a picture and everything. Did you take that?
It was a polaroid!! :P
We all know? What you mean, is that many theorize. We don't know because there is absolutely know observational way to know. Unless of course, you were there, and your picture is genuine.
Yes, but how else is God going to create it?

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Gman wrote:
They can always appeal to the miraculous and I'm not sure there's any defense for that (nor that necessarily we must find one).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Byblos wrote:They can always appeal to the miraculous and I'm not sure there's any defense for that (nor that necessarily we must find one).
Hmmm, but Biblical speaking, God is always taking something from something else to create His creation(s). As an example, letting the "land" produce vegetation Genesis 1:11. God forming Adam from the dust of the ground Genesis 2:7. God creating women from Adam's rib, Genesis 2:22, etc...

jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Is that what it's come to for OEC? "How could God do it?" Ask Job.
:shakehead:
They can always appeal to the miraculous and I'm not sure there's any defense for that (nor that necessarily we must find one).
Huh? Seriously. What do you mean, they? You don't see creation as a miracle?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jlay wrote:
Is that what it's come to for OEC? "How could God do it?" Ask Job.
Huh? Seriously. What do you mean, they? You don't see creation as a miracle?
And you had to find the one thing negative (though unintentional) didn't ya? Honestly J, I didn't mean it like that.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Gman wrote:
Byblos wrote:They can always appeal to the miraculous and I'm not sure there's any defense for that (nor that necessarily we must find one).
Hmmm, but Biblical speaking, God is always taking something from something else to create His creation(s). As an example, letting the "land" produce vegetation Genesis 1:11. God forming Adam from the dust of the ground Genesis 2:7. God creating women from Adam's rib, Genesis 2:22, etc...
How about the first created thing (anything)? How did that come about? Unless you want to posit that something is eternal other than God.

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote: Is that what it's come to for OEC? "How could God do it?" Ask Job.
Yes.. But am I not suppose to love God with all my heart, mind, and soul? Matthew 22:37 How can I love something without allowing it into my mind? :|

Not that I can know everything obviously..

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Hmmm, another thought. Then why are the YEC'ers, like AIG, are trying to use science to enhance their claims? Like trying to build a real ark, etc... y:-?

zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Byblos wrote:
Gman wrote:
Yeah, I was going to say this as well.

Let's face it, to any objection we have that is based on observational evidence, all one has to do is claim "God could have done it" as well as "We don't REALLY know, do we?" Which, let's face it, essentially declares that NO observational evidence can be applied to the past.

One thing I have always wondered is that, if science is so bad at allowing us to draw conclusions about the past, then why even do any YEC science to begin with? If we essentially are going to throw our hands at avery piece of data and declare that "we really don't know, do we", then there is no point in trying to make any conclusion, YEC or OEC and we should simply rest of God did it.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I would argue however, if we were to take this biblically, all the miracles of the Bible always had to do with pre-existing information. As an example, Jesus turning water into wine, Jesus healing the guards ear or restoring sight to the blind man or multiplying the fish. It seems strange to me that out of the thin air he could make all the stars and planets appear.. y:-?

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Gman wrote:I would argue however, if we were to take this biblically, all the miracles of the Bible always had to do with pre-existing information. As an example, Jesus turning water into wine, Jesus healing the guards ear or restoring sight to the blind man or multiplying the fish. It seems strange to me that out of the thin air he could make all the stars and planets appear.. y:-?
I'm not sure what you're saying here G, I would ask you again even as an OECer, at a minimum, you must believe in creation ex nihilo. Otherwise you'd be asserting something eternal other than God, which is a very slippery slope into denying Him altogether.

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Byblos wrote:
Gman wrote:I would argue however, if we were to take this biblically, all the miracles of the Bible always had to do with pre-existing information. As an example, Jesus turning water into wine, Jesus healing the guards ear or restoring sight to the blind man or multiplying the fish. It seems strange to me that out of the thin air he could make all the stars and planets appear.. y:-?
I'm not sure what you're saying here G, I would ask you again even as an OECer, at a minimum, you must believe in creation ex nihilo. Otherwise you'd be asserting something eternal other than God, which is a very slippery slope into denying Him altogether.
Yes... The big bang, but that was a collection of material at the beginning of creation.. It appears that after that, it was always a manipulation of this pre-existing data. At least Biblically anyways.

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Gman wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Yes... The big bang, but that was a collection of material at the beginning of creation.. It appears that after that, it was always a manipulation of this pre-existing data. At least Biblically anyways.
Okay, understood, thanks.