Religion and Psychology

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
MarcusOfLycia
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Religion and Psychology

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

I didn't see a thread on this, so I thought I'd start one. Really, I was just curious what material was out there on this topic, and if anyone had anything to share. I guess to explain why I'm curious, its because a friend of mine conducted a survey of friend's religious beliefs for the purpose of determining potential differences in thinking that lead people to different beliefs. I agree that differences in the way people think might have something to do with it, but I think there's definitely a spiritual aspect to it as well.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Religion and Psychology

Post by Gman »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:I didn't see a thread on this, so I thought I'd start one. Really, I was just curious what material was out there on this topic, and if anyone had anything to share. I guess to explain why I'm curious, its because a friend of mine conducted a survey of friend's religious beliefs for the purpose of determining potential differences in thinking that lead people to different beliefs. I agree that differences in the way people think might have something to do with it, but I think there's definitely a spiritual aspect to it as well.
I'm not quite sure what your question is about it.. But everyone has religious or philosophical beliefs.. Everyone including the atheists.. What humans do is simply inject their religious beliefs into practically everything, whether it be economics, politics, science, etc... If that is what you mean.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
MarcusOfLycia

Re: Religion and Psychology

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Yeah, I guess I should have been clearer. I guess it was how psychology ties in with religious belief (that includes atheistic religious belief, too). I'm just kind of ignorant of it. I know psychology is a relatively new science and that there is a lot of inaccuracy in branches of it. Its just interesting since it studies human thought. Wondered if there was any more material relating to it, or if anyone had any position on what how the two can relate to each other (kind of like how the main site ties in beautifully with physics, chemistry, and mathematics).
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"