How to respond to this?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
darj409
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

How to respond to this?

Post by darj409 »

A Muslim friend of mine said that Exodus 20:1-6 (the first commandment) is proof that Jesus was merely a prophet. How would you defend your position as a Christian to this claim?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: How to respond to this?

Post by Gman »

darj409 wrote:A Muslim friend of mine said that Exodus 20:1-6 (the first commandment) is proof that Jesus was merely a prophet. How would you defend your position as a Christian to this claim?
I don't understand what the claim is.. That Christ is an idol?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
darj409
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by darj409 »

I think the Muslim is claiming that we are violating the first commandment because we believe in the trinity. I notice Muslims often emphasize that they believe in ONE God and accuse Christians of tritheism. So yes, the claim is that Christ is an idol and we are worshiping a man.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Jesus is God, therefore it would be a violation of the first commandment NOT to think so.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
derrick09
Valued Member

Post by derrick09 »

Muslims are not taking into account the doctrine of the Trinity. Once you demonstrate that God is one in three persons then you can get around their little trick they are trying to play.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Echoside
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Echoside »

derrick09 wrote:Muslims are not taking into account the doctrine of the Trinity. Once you demonstrate that God is one in three persons then you can get around their little trick they are trying to play.
while I agree, It is easy to see why the trinity could confuse some people, muslim or otherwise. A bit hasty to accuse everyone who posits this as a challenge to be playing tricks with malicious intent.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

darj409 wrote:I think the Muslim is claiming that we are violating the first commandment because we believe in the trinity. I notice Muslims often emphasize that they believe in ONE God and accuse Christians of tritheism. So yes, the claim is that Christ is an idol and we are worshiping a man.
I don't understand.. God manifested himself as a man, but God is spirit John 4:24.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
kayda-kat
Newbie Member
Sex: Female

Post by kayda-kat »

From what I have gathered, Jesus cannot just be a prophet.
He preached like a prophet, and I think they believe that if he is a prophet then he received his word from God,
but at the same time he claimed to be the son of god- he claimed to be God.
So,There are only three possibilities. Either Jesus is telling lies, or he is mad, or he is telling the truth. If he was telling lies, the denounced him as a prophet, since his words were not from God. If he was mad, he was not a prophet, because his words were not from God. And if he is telling the truth, the he is not just a prophet, because ALL his words are from God, including his announcement that he is the messiah.
So, Jesus could not be just a prophet. Uhm, I hope this helped ^.^