Why were our lifespans reduced?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Mastermind wrote:<b>This shatter resulted in parts of it coming down in the atmosphere and burning up and melting. Thus creating the flood.</b>

A shield of ice would not survive in outer space. And where did the water go?
Not a chunk that just stayed near earth, it was a sphere that surrounded earth. And why would it melt? Space is a lot colder than here on earth. The higher altitude you go, the colder it gets.

As for where did the water go, a combination of distributed across the ocean, and the rest was turned into the polar ice caps.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Not a chunk that just stayed near earth, it was a sphere that surrounded earth.
Yes, I got that. Even though such a thing is physically impossible.
And why would it melt? Space is a lot colder than here on earth. The higher altitude you go, the colder it gets.
Because the impact from a meteor is similar to a nuclear strike. That, and for it to cause a flood, it needs to melt first. :roll:
As for where did the water go, a combination of distributed across the ocean, and the rest was turned into the polar ice caps.

There is not enough water to cover the entire earth unless we flatten pretty much all the dry land.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Mastermind wrote:
Not a chunk that just stayed near earth, it was a sphere that surrounded earth.
Yes, I got that. Even though such a thing is physically impossible.
Nothing is impossible with God. God can hold the earth in one place for 10 days, why should making an ice barrier be any trouble?
And why would it melt? Space is a lot colder than here on earth. The higher altitude you go, the colder it gets.
Because the impact from a meteor is similar to a nuclear strike. That, and for it to cause a flood, it needs to melt first. :roll:
Well duh. I meant before the meteor strike.

There is not enough water to cover the entire earth unless we flatten pretty much all the dry land.
There's enough water in the polar ice caps. And if it fell from the sky in all directions, it would cover all the earth.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Michael wrote:Whats the avg lifespan of manking at the moment? 70 years? Correct me if I'm wrong but hasnt the average lifespan been increasing at dramatic rates over the last few centuries?
As was said here....we were saying average life spans may have increased because we can survive a lot more crap that we didn't know about before.
As was said, the earth before the flood probably was flatter (closer to uniform height), and what ended the flood was the seafloors sank....
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote: As was said, the earth before the flood probably was flatter (closer to uniform height), and what ended the flood was the seafloors sank....
How was your weekend? Ok now that we have the Idle chit chat out of the way :wink: . Where's The PROOF????
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

voicingmaster wrote: Nothing is impossible with God. God can hold the earth in one place for 10 days, why should making an ice barrier be any trouble?
not only is this ridiculous and unlike God, it is unbiblical. The flood was clearly caused by "the fountains of the deep" and by rain. Ice falling out of the sky would likely kill everything without needing to melt.
Well duh. I meant before the meteor strike.
I never said it would melt before the strike...
There's enough water in the polar ice caps. And if it fell from the sky in all directions, it would cover all the earth.
No, there isn't. the current water we have is not enough to cover the entire world without seriously modifying the earth's geography(IE:Flatten it).
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Mastermind wrote:
voicingmaster wrote: Nothing is impossible with God. God can hold the earth in one place for 10 days, why should making an ice barrier be any trouble?
not only is this ridiculous and unlike God, it is unbiblical. The flood was clearly caused by "the fountains of the deep" and by rain. Ice falling out of the sky would likely kill everything without needing to melt.
Whether the ice had to kill anything to melt is irrelevant to it's melting. The intense heat of going through the atmosphere would melt it regardless. As far the unbiblical part, like I said I haven't researched it much, it's just a theory I heard that creationist scientists came up with, and I heard it from my teacher, so I'd be unable to give you a link.
No, there isn't. the current water we have is not enough to cover the entire world without seriously modifying the earth's geography(IE:Flatten it).
So, you're denying the flood even occurred?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Mastermind may believe in a Flood, but as he said in some post a while back, it was on another planet. And not only that, God shot Noah and the Ark through space (at some speed in excess of the speed of light obviously) to earth.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

voicingmaster wrote:
Nothing is impossible with God. God can hold the earth in one place for 10 days, why should making an ice barrier be any trouble?
The fact that our God and Lord put in place the laws of physics for a reason and that He is a God of Order and Reason, not ludicrous ideas.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I'm undecided on the flood issue, for now.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Dan wrote:
voicingmaster wrote:
The fact that our God and Lord put in place the laws of physics for a reason and that He is a God of Order and Reason, not ludicrous ideas.
He held the earth still, as in kept it from orbiting the sun for ten days. Thus, the argument that He made the laws so He wouldn't break them holds no water, since He broke them unarguably before. BTW, I'm talking about scientific laws, not morality laws.
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

voicingmaster wrote:
Dan wrote:
voicingmaster wrote:
He held the earth still, as in kept it from orbiting the sun for ten days. Thus, the argument that He made the laws so He wouldn't break them holds no water, since He broke them unarguably before. BTW, I'm talking about scientific laws, not morality laws.
The Earth standing still in it's orbit is far more reasonable than a dome of ice surrounding it. It would have left MAJOR imprints in the geological data we have today. Not only would God have to break the laws of physics by having a dome of ice surround the Earth, he would've had to tamper with the record of the past that we have in nature, and He doesn't do that. He is proclaimed in nature too, He wouldn't hide Himself from those who go looking for him ;) The Earth standing still for 10 days couldn't be detected by us and so it is far more reasonable to assume it happened.

Plus for the record it is far more likely God only flooded the area where us wicked humans were living in, not the entire world. The geologic data supports this view.

Subtle is the Lord.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

OK, I've changed my position on this thing, and I see how it could've been a local flood, but just one question. How would a dome of ice around the earth leave evidence? Once it melted it'd just be like normal water, so it'd be like it rained heavily.
destroyevilbeings
Newbie Member

Post by destroyevilbeings »

Our lifespans are reduced b/c technology has brought about incredible greed by big businesses. Our food, water, toiletries, air, etc...are so full of toxic chemicals that it is not a mystery why most people die of some type of cancer or some organ failure. Greedy Humans are killing uneducated and unsuspecting humans. THe only way to solve it is to get people in power positions that have the heart & wisdom of God.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

destroyevilbeings wrote:Our lifespans are reduced b/c technology has brought about incredible greed by big businesses. Our food, water, toiletries, air, etc...are so full of toxic chemicals that it is not a mystery why most people die of some type of cancer or some organ failure. Greedy Humans are killing uneducated and unsuspecting humans. THe only way to solve it is to get people in power positions that have the heart & wisdom of God.
We are referrring to reduced lifespan after the flood...from 100's of years to not even 100 years.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous