May 21, 2011

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
bdh410
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Framework

May 21, 2011

Post by bdh410 »

So I've seen several billboards in my area describing Jesus' return on May 21, 2011. What is this based on? I thought Matthew 24:36 states that no one knows when He will return. Only the Father knows. Is this yet another hoax? There was a website on the billboard called: http://www.wecanknow.com/
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: May 21, 2011

Post by Katabole »

Hi bdh,

Your right. No one knows the day or the hour, therefore, it is just a hoax. It is jibberish to pick a particular day since we are not given that piece of information; only the Father in heaven knows that. However, God seems to set specific times for things within scripture.

Ecc 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: (KJV)

Acts 1:7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

In Matt 24 and Mark 13 Jesus tells the parable of the fig tree. It is the only parable He specifically states to "learn".

Matt 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

Mark 13:28 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:

Biblical generations are specific periods of time. They are not human generations. The length of time of a Biblical generation is either, 40, 70 or 120 years: no more, no less.

If you go through the annals of history, many have undertaken throught the centuries to understand when the return of Christ would happen. But they were missing one very important piece of information and that is that Israel had to be a country, in order for the end time prophesies to be fulfilled. The last time Israel was a nation was circa 700 BC, before the Assyrian empire conquered the northern kingdom called Israel. Israel didn't become a nation again until 1948. Thus, Jesus tells us to learn the parable of the fig tree to let us know that sometime after Israel has become a nation again, He will return. All the events described in Matt 24, Mark 13 will come to pass, cultimating in the climax of Christ's return to Earth.

Hope that helps you.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
Sudsy
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Sudsy »

Yes, another guy picking a date. Harold Camping and his Family Radio is the source of this May 21, 2011 date. You can find how he calculates this in his literature, if interested. He believes that true believers will separate themselves from the local churches and denominations before this rapture occurs. I just had a fellow give me some pamphlets on this while I partnered with the Salvation Army at one of their kettles. He was warning me to come out of my church and be a true believer.

Another fellow setting dates, once again, is Jack Van Impe. Although he says he is not setting an exact date he has some calculations which tie in with the end of the Mayan calendar - December 21, 2012.

However, if the apostle Paul thought the return of Christ was imminent, then so should we. Unless, of course, you believe as some preterists do. Wouldn't it be great if He came today ! It would sure blow the mind of many believers and their view of eschatology. :esurprised:
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Harold Camping has been making outrageous (and wrong) claims for years. Sadly there is no shortage of folks like him who will dupe people into buying their books or materials (or worse.)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
zackabba1
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by zackabba1 »

Some people have asked me "Does God have a sense of humor?"

Well, I'm sure he laughs at this kind of nonsense, so he has to!

On May 22, 2011...I won't even remember that someone predicted Jesus would come back the day before. That's my prophecy.
FredWJensen
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FredWJensen »

Daniel 12:
8 And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?
9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.
10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.
FredWJensen
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FredWJensen »

if we can't know when christ is coming then what does this verse mean??
Note even matthew Henry's commentary written in 1400's says that this verse means somehow the believers will know when christ is coming!!!!!

1 Thessalonians
Chapter 5
4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
Mariolee
Recognized Member

Post by Mariolee »

@FredWJensen

We don't know when Christ is coming, and nothing in those two refrences designates otherwise. What those two verses are saying, are that the wise and Christians will understand. You see, we KNOW and UNDERSTAND it is coming, but others do not. We do not, however, know when.
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
Rascus
Acquainted Member

Post by Rascus »

You have your answer to that question right here.....Matthew 24:36 .............who knows or cares if its a hoax or whatever.....as long as we have the Lord giving us our answers thats al we really need!

Rascus