Flaws with Dispensational Theology

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Flaws with Dispensational Theology

Post by Gman »

What can I say.. God is coool...

It's like, in a nutshell, well you see guys I (God) made this deal a way back, and even though these people rejected my plan, I still have to honor them. So Gentiles, please realize this and be good to them.. Ok? Sorry but that is the way it goes sometimes.. I can't go against my promises. y[-(
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

zoegirl wrote:
Gman wrote:
zoegirl wrote:what grace are they receiving?
God's grace.. Due to a promise he made to the patriarchs. In other words, they can screw up and God still has to honor them. He locked it.... WOW.
i guess I was meaning the role of this grace...I'm still hung up on what part this plays...are we talking protection, blessings? or grace as in the grace extended to sinners for reconciliation

I'm assuming you are meaning the former...just clarifying
It looks like the whole sha-bang to me.. And guess who has to bless them as well... That's right. Us... :roll:

Romans 15:27 They were pleased to do it, and indeed they owe it to them. For if the Gentiles have shared in the Jews’ spiritual blessings, they owe it to the Jews to share with them their material blessings.

In other words they HATE us, but we have to go along with the show anyways.. :doh:

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

God LOCKED it... I'm really starting to see the weight of this. Now that is grace even though they rejected His grace. In other words, God has... Well balls..

zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

so you are saying they don;t need Christ? the grace is the whole shebang?
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

zoegirl wrote:so you are saying they don;t need Christ? the grace is the whole shebang?
No.. Because God locked them. But just for them only, so no one else can attain it that way.. Pretty crafty. ;)

zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

God locked them????? what?? so God basically says..."ok guys my son's death does not have to apply to you...you get a free pass"?

I 'm sorrybut I hav to mightily disagree here...if God holding to HIs covenant was all that was needed, then the entire OT seems rather pointless...all those sacrifices and atonements....and needless animal deaths when all that was needed was God saying "it's okay guys...I absolve you....you get a free pass"....

what??!?!?
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

zoegirl wrote:God locked them????? what?? so God basically says..."ok guys my son's death does not have to apply to you...you get a free pass"?

I 'm sorrybut I hav to mightily disagree here...if God holding to HIs covenant was all that was needed, then the entire OT seems rather pointless...all those sacrifices and atonements....and needless animal deaths when all that was needed was God saying "it's okay guys...I absolve you....you get a free pass"....

what??!?!?
I know it sounds crazy... But yes... They get a free pass. Again it appears a reversal of some sort. But yes God is merciful.. Can't touch them...

Again this is how I'm starting to see it. After all, we got a free pass too..

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Maybe they will see the truth later however.. I don't know.

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

zoegirl wrote:BW I am in no way denying this....please see the quotes I have quoted from you guys and help me understand this. I am absolutely certain that all nations will be represented but the quotes from you guys imply that there is another way for the Jewish nation.
To answer one concern: Jewish converts to Christ will tell a person as I stated before - we (they) come to Christ like anyone else does, thru Christ. There is only one way to come to Christ for all people, John 3:15-16.

Here is the problem, and since this thread is about eschatology, I wrongly assumed people reading this thread would understand the discussion as pertaining to the end times. So, let me go back and explain it like this by dividing things into simple terms:

When the bible speaks of joining the two (gentile believers and Jew) into one new man – this began long ago, continues on, but not there yet for completion. This is what throws people when reading Eph 2:11-22 that no distinction is made between what was begun long ago, continues on, and Not quite there Yet. What I mean by this is as follows:

1-Long ago: Remember Jesus and the 12 disciples were Jews as well as the 3000 mentioned in the book of Acts. No Gentiles, then the Lord, thru the Jewish Believers brought in the Gentile believers into Christ – long ago - The body of Christ taking shape. Time of Gentiles begins.

2-Continuing on: refers to the era of the Gentiles coming to Christ and when Jewish believers became rare as hens teeth for awhile. Lot of things in history happened and a chasm developed between Jewish believers and gentile believers. Nowadays, Jewish people are returning to Christ but their numbers are a trickle. This leads to the…

3-But Not yet in Completion: In eschatological terms, refers to the surviving Jewish people at the time of Christ’s return, after a great and terrible time, who will return back to the Lord by calling on the one whom they pierced. When this event occurs is when the two become one people in Christ in its fullest and completed sense, meaning, and purpose. These are the people I am referring too. They are the Future Era Jews - FtJ

This has not happened yet but according to various preterist camps they claim either this has already happened or can never happen, or parts may happen, etc and etc. That is what this debate is about.

There are trickles of Jews becoming believers in Christ today, this time, period now. They become a believer in Christ as we all do. I am not referring to this group of people. So I will call these Current era Jews or CEJ. The Jewish people from the second regathering in Israel, who are around will see Christ physical return as the bible says –these are Future era Jews - FtJ.

Romans 11:26-27 speaks of the FtJ and not limited only to mean the CEJ. Read it again:

Rom 11:26, 27, "And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "THE DELIVERER WILL COME OUT OF ZION, AND HE WILL TURN AWAY UNGODLINESS FROM JACOB; 27 FOR THIS IS MY COVENANT WITH THEM, WHEN I TAKE AWAY THEIR SINS." NKJV

Note context – All Israel will be saved is defined as related to Jacob. Contender w/God is related to the Heal Grabber. Get it - this is not the Church – Israel is not the Church – is Jacob the Church? – NO! Read again the text: The deliver out of Zion – Jesus Christ, He will do what with Jacob? Abandon them, forsake them, write them off as mere indigestion after breakfast?

Heck NO – Jesus will turn away Jacobs ungodliness – For this is my covenant with them when he takes away their sins (Jer 31). Jesus took away all sin’s power long ago 30-35 AD time frame but has Jacob turned away from ungodliness yet? What will it take – answer – a lot. There is a lot of bible prophecy to go thru, lot of signs to be shown, to the FtJ. This has not happened so the one new man is not complete yet until all is fulfilled. Make sense now?

In the Continue on time period, our current now, CEJ Jews get saved as anyone else does – call on the Lord as Paul put it. Jesus died on the cross for them too; if He died for all how can they be excluded? It seems, from the prejudice that emerges from some few Christians at the mere sound or mention of –Jew- their blathering creates a sense of impossibility for God to save the Jewish people at all. It doesn’t matter what they think – God will save them, the FtJ as he said he would and make one people one in Him from both the FtJ and the Gentile Believers! This completes the process of drawing all manner of person's to Christ and making one people. Clear yet? or still clear as mud? I hope not mud 8-}2 - I am getting tired... :sleep:

The CEJ can become one in Christ as we do and in doing so become one in Christ NOW along with everyone else who is in Christ. It is the Future Era Jew that has not come to know Christ yet. Not all of the FtJ will know Christ (or the CEJ either) but many-many will come to Christ and become One new People in Christ, thru Christ and by Christ along with everyone else who is One in Christ ! Read Romans chapter 9, 10, 11 again and you will see these distinctions lead to 11:26-27.

In doing so, God maintains and keeps all his promises made to the Jewish people for his own sake, not ours, not mine, not yours, not PL’s, not anyone’s but for his own sake he remains faithful- why for He is GOD!

We as Gentile believers are to share our treasure of knowing Christ with the CEJ so God can do his work in preparing for things to come for the FtJ. The CEJ and Gentile Believers are already One in Christ together but God made promises to certain people, and He keeps these, He can and will redeem the Jewish people, His way at an appointed time to come and thus all that will be –will be made one – understand now? The final completion of binding two peoples into one peoples has not happened yet in our continuing on lives in utter final fulfiment (boy am I getting tongue tied and sleepy y(:|

Hope this makes sense by dividing and categorizing things in three parts as I did. This is an over simplification but I hope it helps break things apart to see what I am talking about with Gman.

Some people hold the view that the Church is now Israel – build a whole branches of doctrine from that premise. This doctrine has lead historically to the slaughter of millions of Jews – A tree is known by its fruit! Think about it.

The bible does not call the Church Israel. Partaking of the promise of Israel is partaking of salvation (Christ), becoming one in the Lord together, being set free from sin and death - that salvation.

God has not forsaken the Jewish people, nor superseded them and they come to Christ as anyone else would. Those that do not will remain lost as anyone else would. Those that come to Christ, like anyone else who comes to Christ is made one with him – not one with a Church but one in Christ with all believers.

In heaven, if we are there during a certain time, or on earth, we’ll see many FtJ return and thus be reminded how God is absolutely faithful to His own words, oaths, and promises to a people he chose long ago to be a part of Christ – the hope of Glory. Can you trust a god who breaks his word, or keeps it? Such is the Love God has – to keep his word.

Most of this is cloudy to people, us gentiles, because of bad doctrine that excludes the Jewish people as the only people God cannot save or fails to see’s that we gentiles are grafted into the vine/stump.

We are the Body of Christ - or are we the Body of the Church world?

We belong to Christ and are placed into Christ. We meet in assemblies of fellow believers as a community called out from the larger secular community to learn more about Christ, growth, learn lessons, be discipled, attain help, aid, evangelize, etc… We are called the Body of Christ not the Body of Church. God have mercy on us if we are just a body of Church!
1 Co 12:12 - For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.

1 Co 12:13 - For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

1 Co 12:14 - For in fact the body is not one member but many.

1 Co 12:15 - If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body," is it therefore not of the body?

1 Co 12:27 - Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. NKJV
I think the Bible calls us the body of Christ – does it not?

Was the Lord of Glory named Israel or Jesus? By whose name can we all be saved – Israel or Jesus’?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Gman wrote:
zoegirl wrote:God locked them????? what?? so God basically says..."ok guys my son's death does not have to apply to you...you get a free pass"?

what??!?!?
I know it sounds crazy... But yes... They get a free pass. Again it appears a reversal of some sort. But yes God is merciful.. Can't touch them...

Again this is how I'm starting to see it. After all, we got a free pass too..
That just about flies in the face of everything Christ did and said. No one comes to the father except through Christ, that's the message of the NT. If there are exceptions then that message is a lie. There are no 2 ways around it, sorry. This is not a matter of dogma or interpretation, it is a matter of fact.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

What Byblos brings up is a good point. And it is actually a key point of correctly understanding dispensational theology.

That is why I brought up that we need to understand how God deals with a nation/people and how God deals with a person.
Israel's covenant was God dealing with a people. It was exclusive and dealt with a specific group. But, this program was to ultimately carry out God's plans on the earth for all nations. God's plan is to establish an earthly Kingdom in a land through His people. Obviously that is not going on today.

BTW, this thread wansn't about eschatology. It was about objections to dispensationalism. Those might involve eschatology. Best I can see is you guys have turned this into a 2nd Christian Zionism thread.

Indivuidual salvation has nothing to do with a piece of land. Israel's salvation does.
Yes, absolutely. And that is a point of dispensational theology. That this is THE program in how God is dealing with humankind TODAY. The dispensation or stewardship for this time. The dispensation of grace. And this dispensation has nothing to do with land or a specific people. In this dispensation there is no jew or greek, slave or free. Now, as pointed out, in earlier discussions, some would argue that we are saying that grace is limited to this dispensation. No. Abraham's faith in God was 'credited' to him as righteousness even though he did not have full revelation. Noah, Abraham, etc. trusted what God set before them.
However, what about the gentiles? Well, Paul wrote, "Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; that at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world" Eph 2:11-12
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

B.W. wrote:-Long ago: Remember Jesus and the 12 disciples were Jews as well as the 3000 mentioned in the book of Acts. No Gentiles, then the Lord, thru the Jewish Believers brought in the Gentile believers into Christ – long ago - The body of Christ taking shape. Time of Gentiles begins.
False. One of the challenges that Dispensationalism faces is that cannot give a sound definition of what a "current era Jew" is. Is it a religion, a race, or a national identity? What about a Hebrew that practices the Hindu faith? Is he a Jew? What about a European that practices Judaism? Is he a Jew? What about an American who practices Islam and moves to Israel to become a citizen? Is he a Jew? We need some answers that what a CEJ is first.

In any case, it is quite clear that the 3,000 converts in Acts 2:41 were not all Hebrews, but consisted of "devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. And they were amazed and astonished, saying, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians--we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God." (Acts 2:5-11)
B.W. wrote:2-Continuing on: refers to the era of the Gentiles coming to Christ and when Jewish believers became rare as hens teeth for awhile. Lot of things in history happened and a chasm developed between Jewish believers and gentile believers. Nowadays, Jewish people are returning to Christ but their numbers are a trickle. This leads to the…

3-But Not yet in Completion: In eschatological terms, refers to the surviving Jewish people at the time of Christ’s return, after a great and terrible time, who will return back to the Lord by calling on the one whom they pierced. When this event occurs is when the two become one people in Christ in its fullest and completed sense, meaning, and purpose. These are the people I am referring too. They are the Future Era Jews - FtJ

This has not happened yet but according to various preterist camps they claim either this has already happened or can never happen, or parts may happen, etc and etc. That is what this debate is about.
False. Preterists (Postmillennial, and to some degree Amillennial) do believe in a future conversion of the Jews (Romans 11:24-26), but before Christ Second Coming (an event that will result in the end of history (2 Peter 3:10). During this time, there will be greater blessings for the gentile world (Romans 11:12), not a "great and terrible time". In contrast to Dispensationalism, Covenant Theology teaches the success, not the failure, of the Great Commission in this "church age".

"For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD as the waters cover the sea." (Habakkuk 2:14)
B.W. wrote:I think the Bible calls us the body of Christ – does it not?

Was the Lord of Glory named Israel or Jesus? By whose name can we all be saved – Israel or Jesus’?
True, but there is only one gospel, and only one Covenant of Grace by which both are saved. If they reject Christ, their "Jewishness" won't save them, or benefit them in any way.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Yes.. It is confusing. The part where I don't understand is this small Jewish remnant. According to Romans 11:28 they are our enemies.. So how do they receive grace? It says on account of the patriarchs.. In other words a promise.

Romans 11:28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs,

If true, do we evangelize them? According to the article, we (the gentiles) should seek to embrace Jewish heritage as its own..

"It seems I am asked this question all the time. I attempt to answer it the article presented above, though the implication might not be obvious. In short, God is not "finished" with national Israel, even though there's a "partial hardening" until the fullness of the Gentiles come to faith (Rom 11:25), and then "all Israel will be saved" (Rom 11:26). The Church is actually made a part of she'arit yisrael - the faithful remnant of Israel (Rom 11:17), and not the other way around. The Gentile church shouldn't call faithful Jews away from their heritage, but rather should seek to embrace Jewish heritage as its own, since they are made co-heirs of the covenants unconditionally given to the Jewish people (Eph 2:11-13). "

Source: http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Articl ... srael.html

Later however, it seems that this remnant comes to Christ anyway.. But it is only at the Great tribulation.. According to the article.

"Only after the Jewish people cry out, Baruch habah b'shem Adonai in reference to the true Messiah, Jesus, will Israel be saved during this period of Great Tribulation (Matt. 23:29; Luke 13:35). Then shall the prophecy of Zechariah be fulfilled: "I will pour out upon the kingship of David and the population of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication so that they will look to me, the one they have pierced. They will lament for him as one laments for an only son, and there will be a bitter cry for him like the bitter cry for a firstborn" (Zech. 12:10). "

So as far a being locked, it would appear they are locked for now, but when Christ appears THEN they will change.. in other words, Christ does it not us..

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jlay wrote:What Byblos brings up is a good point. And it is actually a key point of correctly understanding dispensational theology.

That is why I brought up that we need to understand how God deals with a nation/people and how God deals with a person.
Israel's covenant was God dealing with a people. It was exclusive and dealt with a specific group. But, this program was to ultimately carry out God's plans on the earth for all nations. God's plan is to establish an earthly Kingdom in a land through His people. Obviously that is not going on today.

BTW, this thread wansn't about eschatology. It was about objections to dispensationalism. Those might involve eschatology. Best I can see is you guys have turned this into a 2nd Christian Zionism thread.

Indivuidual salvation has nothing to do with a piece of land. Israel's salvation does.
Yes, absolutely. And that is a point of dispensational theology. That this is THE program in how God is dealing with humankind TODAY. The dispensation or stewardship for this time. The dispensation of grace. And this dispensation has nothing to do with land or a specific people. In this dispensation there is no jew or greek, slave or free. Now, as pointed out, in earlier discussions, some would argue that we are saying that grace is limited to this dispensation. No. Abraham's faith in God was 'credited' to him as righteousness even though he did not have full revelation. Noah, Abraham, etc. trusted what God set before them.
However, what about the gentiles? Well, Paul wrote, "Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; that at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world" Eph 2:11-12
Forgive me J but I'm still missing what you're trying to argue (especially how this all relates to the 2 gospels). If God's dealing with Israel as a nation is different than God's dealing with Israel as individual Jews and if individual Jews are saved only through Christ then who is saved through this 2nd gospel meant for Israel the nation (and how)? I think this is the question Zoe and I have been trying to get you to answer as yet.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

If they reject Christ, their "Jewishness" won't save them, or benefit them in any way.
Agreed. And there is only one gospel to be preached today.
False. One of the challenges that Dispensationalism faces is that cannot give a sound definition of what a "current era Jew" is. Is it a religion, a race, or a national identity? What about a Hebrew that practices the Hindu faith? Is he a Jew? What about a European that practices Judaism? Is he a Jew? What about an American who practices Islam and moves to Israel to become a citizen? Is he a Jew? We need some answers that what a CEJ is first.
Honestly I fail to see how that is challenge, unless that person is a Christain Zionist. Is it our duty to keep a record of this? No. Have we been enlisted to differenitate, or are we to preach Christ crucified to all? That is for God to sort out in His time, and a big reason I reject Christian Zionism.

Also, as we discussed earlier regarding the Jews of the dispersion. What does this have to do with now? It is clear that the people present that day were very much devout in the Jewish faith. Either born in the lines, or genuine proselytites according to the Law. At that point Peter is preaching to Jews about THEIR Messiah, and their Kingdom. “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.” Acts 2:36
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious