Any ex military here?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Echoside
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Any ex military here?

Post by Echoside »

Hey everyone, im leaving for basic training for the USAF on monday, and was wondering if anyone here has served in the armed forces whether it be army, navy, air force, coast guard, etc.

I'll be working on big planes like the C-130's after training + tech school, so it will be a pretty interesting experience.
Byblos
Old School

Re: Any ex military here?

Post by Byblos »

Echoside wrote:Hey everyone, im leaving for basic training for the USAF on monday, and was wondering if anyone here has served in the armed forces whether it be army, navy, air force, coast guard, etc.

I'll be working on big planes like the C-130's after training + tech school, so it will be a pretty interesting experience.
Heavy artillery but different time, army and country. No doubt in my mind had I been born in the U.S. I would have been a military man. I solute you and thank you in advance for your service to your country.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Echoside wrote:Hey everyone, im leaving for basic training for the USAF on monday, and was wondering if anyone here has served in the armed forces whether it be army, navy, air force, coast guard, etc.

Oh the joy. I hated every single moment of military life! USAF 1989-'93.
You have a guaranteed job? hahaha...I hope you get it. Sometimes it doesn't work out. I had a few guys in my flight that didn't get what they had been "promised"...it's always fun to watch that occur.

Have fun at Lackland. You should shave your head before going. The less you have to edure there, the better. Don't pack very much other than a backpack of a few things...maybe one change of light clothes and some toiletries...it will all be taken from you anyway until the end. The less you take, the less you have to carry out IN ADDITION to all the crap you'll get once there. (I don't think much has changed in their method of training)

Oh! And make sure you wear the brightest clothes you have. If you have a ty-dyed (sp?) shirt...WEAR IT!

One more thing...the moment you signed the papers, that "cool" recruiter simply giggled and chalked you up as "one more for me". You'll probably never see him/her again. Once in, you'll then see that the recruiters are laughed at from the "inside".
Echoside
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Echoside »

BavarianWheels wrote:

Oh the joy. I hated every single moment of military life! USAF 1989-'93.
You have a guaranteed job? hahaha...I hope you get it. Sometimes it doesn't work out. I had a few guys in my flight that didn't get what they had been "promised"...it's always fun to watch that occur.

Have fun at Lackland. You should shave your head before going. The less you have to edure there, the better. Don't pack very much other than a backpack of a few things...maybe one change of light clothes and some toiletries...it will all be taken from you anyway until the end. The less you take, the less you have to carry out IN ADDITION to all the crap you'll get once there. (I don't think much has changed in their method of training)

Oh! And make sure you wear the brightest clothes you have. If you have a ty-dyed (sp?) shirt...WEAR IT!

One more thing...the moment you signed the papers, that "cool" recruiter simply giggled and chalked you up as "one more for me". You'll probably never see him/her again. Once in, you'll then see that the recruiters are laughed at from the "inside".

Yes I have a guaranteed job, I made sure it was in my contract. I plan on shaving my head, but I've actually got really long hair for a guy so I'm going to donate it. Sorry to hear you didn't like it though, hopefully I have a better experience.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

Echoside wrote:Yes I have a guaranteed job, I made sure it was in my contract.
Contract? Have you heard the term, "The needs of Uncle Sam come first."?
I went in on a Delayed Enlistment, in order for my "guaranteed" job. I was one of those that fell prey to the saying above. However, in hindsight, my chosen job would've been useless after finishing my sentence...err...duty.
Echoside wrote:I plan on shaving my head, but I've actually got really long hair for a guy so I'm going to donate it.
Good for you! I did St. Baldricks in 2003. It was a great experience.
Echoside wrote:Sorry to hear you didn't like it though, hopefully I have a better experience.
As long as you can deal with authority coming from young gold bars and someone younger than you with one extra chevron...you'll do ok.

You will probably fill out a Wishlist when you get to Lackland at some point. This is where you want to be stationed...I'm not sure if they do that still. That was fun too. From the wishlist, which was 9 deep, I was stationed no where that I even mentioned. lol. If you're from the midwest...you'll love the military. Lots of midwest people there.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

August.. The other mod here is ex-military who served in desert storm I believe...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
joejmz
Acquainted Member

Post by joejmz »

Echoside,

Basic, and your military experience will be a great test of your physical, mental, and spiritual endurance. I tell my son that there is not enough money in the world to make me go through it again, but I am glad I did it.

I was a Quartermaster Officer in the US Army in the early 90's.

Isaiah 40:31 was the verse that stayed with me throughout Basic: "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."