The case for a multiverse

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Re: The case for a multiverse

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Byblos wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
craymatter wrote:A Case for the Multiverse Theory
I have believed for a while now that our universe came from something preceding. I cannot imagine otherwise.
no one is there to contemplate or care just how lucky we are in ours, wishing they were here, but oh how extremely lucky we are indeed!
If your theory is true what a wonderous and awe inspiring multiverse we live in!
However you must respect the fact that due to preconceptions many here won't and/or can't even stop to consider this idea.
Huh? What idea is that? That we're lucky we get to live in a miraculous universe? Yes, you're right, our preconceptions preclude us from considering that. :shakehead:
I'm sorry Byblos, I don't understand this post. Can you please elaborate I can't help but feel as if I insulted you in some manor. I would like to know exactly what you meant by your response.

Sincerely yours
Bgood
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Byblos wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
I have believed for a while now that our universe came from something preceding. I cannot imagine otherwise.
no one is there to contemplate or care just how lucky we are in ours, wishing they were here, but oh how extremely lucky we are indeed!
If your theory is true what a wonderous and awe inspiring multiverse we live in!
However you must respect the fact that due to preconceptions many here won't and/or can't even stop to consider this idea.
Huh? What idea is that? That we're lucky we get to live in a miraculous universe? Yes, you're right, our preconceptions preclude us from considering that. :shakehead:
I'm sorry Byblos, I don't understand this post. Can you please elaborate I can't help but feel as if I insulted you in some manor. I would like to know exactly what you meant by your response.

Sincerely yours
Bgood
I don't know, you tell me what you meant first. Your post suggested to me that our preconceptions preclude us from considering that we are lucky to live in a miraculous universe when you know well that belief in God is precisely to see the universe in a miraculous sense. Did I misunderstand your post?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

To some, our universe is only wonderous and awe-inspiring if God isn't involved. I had a conversation recently with a friend who attributes anything wonderous or miraculous to aliens. He could not bring himself to credit anything to God - but the aliens? Sure, they could do it! So we ended up in the absurd position where he said that God "couldn't possibly have created the universe"... while his aliens, of course, were perfectlty able to do such things. You can easily spot the flaw in his thinking. But people do think like that. I was perfectrly happy to hear his alien theory and was particularly careful not to simply dismiss it; I wanted a fair and reasonable discussion. But of course my ideas were 'out there' and his ideas were fine as they did not involve God. So, basically, a miracle or miraculous event is perfectly fine as long as we're not pointing to God as the author. As you can see, there are so many holes in this kind of thinking that we are left wondering who really has the disposition here...
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Byblos wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Byblos wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:

Sincerely yours
Bgood
I don't know, you tell me what you meant first. Your post suggested to me that our preconceptions preclude us from considering that we are lucky to live in a miraculous universe when you know well that belief in God is precisely to see the universe in a miraculous sense. Did I misunderstand your post?
YES :)
You've completely misunderstood me. I used the ellipses to shorten his rather long quote.

I said clearly, I thought, that preconceptions preclude one from really considering a multi-verse as he described. Bigger than us eternal etc. etc.
The belief in a Christian God precludes one from fully considering an impersonal eternal Universe in which all posibilities can and do exist...
As a belief in no God precludes one from considering there may be a grand scheme in things.

In any case no offense was intended. I just found it strange that you reacted in such a defensive manor. I didn't think that was typical of your posts.

In any case my suggestion is to try, really try to see things from another perspective. It will give you a better understanding of your own.
Like looking down on the Earch from space, it really changes the picture.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Byblos wrote:I don't know, you tell me what you meant first. Your post suggested to me that our preconceptions preclude us from considering that we are lucky to live in a miraculous universe when you know well that belief in God is precisely to see the universe in a miraculous sense. Did I misunderstand your post?
YES :)
You've completely misunderstood me. I used the ellipses to shorten his rather long quote.

I said clearly, I thought, that preconceptions preclude one from really considering a multi-verse as he described. Bigger than us eternal etc. etc.
The belief in a Christian God precludes one from fully considering an impersonal eternal Universe in which all posibilities can and do exist...
As a belief in no God precludes one from considering there may be a grand scheme in things.

In any case no offense was intended. I just found it strange that you reacted in such a defensive manor. I didn't think that was typical of your posts.

In any case my suggestion is to try, really try to see things from another perspective. It will give you a better understanding of your own.
Like looking down on the Earch from space, it really changes the picture.
Perhaps because I wasn't expecting such a post from you (based on my complete misunderstanding). Apologies are in order. I must be getting old (not an excuse, though).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Perhaps because I wasn't expecting such a post from you (based on my complete misunderstanding). Apologies are in order. I must be getting old (not an excuse, though).[/quote]

No need to apologize, old friend.
I'll try to be more clearer next time. :)