Alice Cooper

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Alice Cooper

Post by Gman »

Remember him?

"When asked by the British Sunday Times newspaper in 2001 how a shock-rocker (like him) could be a Christian, Cooper is credited with providing this response "Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's real rebellion!" ;)

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Alice Cooper

Post by B. W. »

Gman wrote:Remember him?

"When asked by the British Sunday Times newspaper in 2001 how a shock-rocker (like him) could be a Christian, Cooper is credited with providing this response "Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's real rebellion!" ;)
Wow, I did no know this about him???
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I guess I should try and find it, but there's another thread here that talks about him and some other rockers that became Christians.

I read recently that Sandra Bullock became a Christian, being influenced by that Christian movie she was in and that was out recently.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

B. W. wrote:
Gman wrote:Remember him?

Wow, I did no know this about him???
-
-
-
Well he isn't outspoken about it... But nonetheless he really is and has been awhile.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

As for Alice Cooper, I am very conflicted. As a kid, back in the early '70s, I really liked his music. But as I awakened to the faith of my childhood and matured in my Christianity, I realized that a lot of Alice's music was rather sick and twisted. Of course Alice views what he does as schlock/mock horror, like in classic horror movies and comic books of the distant past. But a closer look reveals he goes way beyond such tame fare. Read his lyrics. "I Love the Dead," etc. So what I believe now is Alice needs to decide WHO he is going to serve, as he seems to be trying to ride the fence: confessing Jesus while maintaining the darker elements and lyrics of his pagan past. Is he truly a Christian? That's not for me to decide. But Jesus said many will call him "Lord" and some will even cast out demons in His name, but in the end He will say to all of them, "I never knew you." Certainly, by continuing to embrace his decadent image and some of the more sordid songs of his past, he has an enormous credibility gap in his Christian witness. I'd say Alice does a lot of "talking the talk without walking THE WALK!" But he goes way beyond not "walking the walk," in that the darker elements of his music and lyrical topics are influencing the young and naive to think such poisonous things are cool. And THAT is anything BUT cool!