Was Jesus a racist?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Noah1201
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Was Jesus a racist?

Post by Noah1201 »

The story of Jesus and the Canaanite woman is sometimes cited as evidence that Jesus was racist towards non-Jews. How would you respond to such charges?
ocarina_boy
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Was Jesus a racist?

Post by ocarina_boy »

I cannot believe that you would suspect such a notion. Jesus is NOT a racist. He is not capable of hatred, only love. He loves everyone, even people who suspect him of being a racist. I hope this clears this up for you my brother! :ebiggrin:
Seraph
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

He helped the Canaanite woman in her request didn't he? Why would he be racist?
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Telstra Robs
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Telstra Robs »

This is the passage in question: Mark 7:24-30
24 Jesus left that place and went to the vicinity of Tyre.[a] He entered a house and did not want anyone to know it; yet he could not keep his presence secret. 25 In fact, as soon as she heard about him, a woman whose little daughter was possessed by an impure spirit came and fell at his feet. 26 The woman was a Greek, born in Syrian Phoenicia. She begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter.
27 “First let the children eat all they want,” he told her, “for it is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

28 “Lord,” she replied, “even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.”

29 Then he told her, “For such a reply, you may go; the demon has left your daughter.”

30 She went home and found her child lying on the bed, and the demon gone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The racist argument stems from people thinking that Jesus called the Syrophonecian woman a dog compared to an Israelite. However, Jesus was trying to say that he had been sent by God to the Israelites, not the entire world and that it would be unfair to give her something that was supposed to be for the Israelites. The Syrophonecian woman replied saying that she would accept anything, even crumbs under the table that had been dropped.

I'm not sure if that's the proper answer.
apostle_warren
Newbie Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by apostle_warren »

28 “Lord,” she replied, “even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.”

The analogy is simple: Children = Jews, Dogs = non-Jews.

This alone does not mean that Jesus was racist. He could have been performing an extended satire of Jewish self-righteousness. However, if you read the entire passage you will find that no such commentary can be inferred from Jesus' actions. The analogy only works if the woman is truly regarded as inferior. Worse, her prayers are only answered when she humbly acknowledges her inferiority.

I refuse to intentionally misread this passage just to come away with a rosier picture of Jesus. However, I certainly don't take the writer of Mark's word for it that Jesus would have actually behaved this way. A gentile-friendly Jesus would be just one more reason to have him executed.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

apostle_warren wrote:28 “Lord,” she replied, “even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.”

The analogy is simple: Children = Jews, Dogs = non-Jews.

This alone does not mean that Jesus was racist. He could have been performing an extended satire of Jewish self-righteousness. However, if you read the entire passage you will find that no such commentary can be inferred from Jesus' actions. The analogy only works if the woman is truly regarded as inferior. Worse, her prayers are only answered when she humbly acknowledges her inferiority.

I refuse to intentionally misread this passage just to come away with a rosier picture of Jesus. However, I certainly don't take the writer of Mark's word for it that Jesus would have actually behaved this way. A gentile-friendly Jesus would be just one more reason to have him executed.
Jesus was repeating the standards of the society that he was a part of. First, he was "violating" those standards by even speaking to her in the first place, so his actions show that he was outside of the practices of others who were Jewish Rabbi's at the time. Further, He gave her what she sought. He followed this type of practice when speaking with the Samaritan woman at the well, (an even greater taboo) and he also granted a miracle to a Roman centurion. Jesus was greatly criticized by the general Jewish Religious population for his practices in speaking to "wrong sort of people."

In this instance Jesus' actions speak louder than His words and His words were part of a conversation, that the fact that it was even taking place in the first place shows that Jesus was not racist. Other portions of Scripture speak of the gospel going to every nation, every tribe and people group.

Jesus was not racist.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Plus also he might simply have been having a joke with her being sarcastic with his comments - to underline how silly they are.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Silvertusk wrote:Plus also he might simply have been having a joke with her being sarcastic with his comments - to underline how silly they are.
The context indicates that. It might have been in the line of sarcasm or irony for the benefity of others listening to the conversation. Tone is difficult to maintain and preserve in writing and it doesn't translate well across, time, culture and language in translation.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender