Question for advocates of no animal death before Adam's sin

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Question for advocates of no animal death before Adam's sin

Post by RickD »

This question is for those who believe that Romans 5:12-15 helps make the case for no animal death before Adam's sin. Read Romans 5:12-15 and then answer the following question: If the one act of disobedience of Adam led to the death for all animals, did the one act of righteousness of Christ lead to life of all animals?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Re: Question for advocates of no animal death before Adam's

Post by DannyM »

Rick,
RickD wrote:This question is for those who believe that Romans 5:12-15 helps make the case for no animal death before Adam's sin. Read Romans 5:12-15 and then answer the following question: If the one act of disobedience of Adam led to the death for all animals, did the one act of righteousness of Christ lead to life of all animals?
Good question.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:This question is for those who believe that Romans 5:12-15 helps make the case for no animal death before Adam's sin. Read Romans 5:12-15 and then answer the following question: If the one act of disobedience of Adam led to the death for all animals, did the one act of righteousness of Christ lead to life of all animals?
That is a good question.. Nice flip there... :clap:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Aren't there any YECs here that could help me with the answer to this question?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I think if you search back through prior threads you might find that there's been some attempts to answer this. I seem to recall Jac addressing it.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I think if you search back through prior threads you might find that there's been some attempts to answer this. I seem to recall Jac addressing it.
Thanks, Bart. I'll do a search when I get a chance.

-Edward R Murrow

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:I think if you search back through prior threads you might find that there's been some attempts to answer this. I seem to recall Jac addressing it.
Last week I think I witnessed a dog speaking in tongues.. If that might help answer the question.. :P

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
RickD wrote:
Last week I think I witnessed a dog speaking in tongues.. If that might help answer the question.. :P
Gman, was anyone interpreting, or was the dog just babbling to draw attention to itself?

I searched through many pages of the carnivorous animals thread, and found nothing that directly addressed the question in my original post.

-Edward R Murrow

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote: Gman, was anyone interpreting, or was the dog just babbling to draw attention to itself?

A poodle? ;)

DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

RickD wrote:
Gman wrote:
RickD wrote:
Gman, was anyone interpreting, or was the dog just babbling to draw attention to itself?

I searched through many pages of the carnivorous animals thread, and found nothing that directly addressed the question in my original post.
I'm sorry, but if there was no-one interpreting, then I can not take Gman's dog seriously... :)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
secretfire6
Established Member

Post by secretfire6 »

does it say death entered all living things or just mankind? remember, the hebrew word for "earth" or "world" doesnt usually refer to the entire planet. In fact some instances it means "all the people of..." So you could say "through one man, sin entered into all the world of Eden and with it came death" In ancient hebrew you would be refering to just Adam and Eve and still be correct.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

secretfire6 wrote:does it say death entered all living things or just mankind? remember, the hebrew word for "earth" or "world" doesnt usually refer to the entire planet. In fact some instances it means "all the people of..." So you could say "through one man, sin entered into all the world of Eden and with it came death" In ancient hebrew you would be refering to just Adam and Eve and still be correct.
The problem is if you interpret it as death of all living things, then to be consistent you have to take the subsequent promises to mankind in the ensuing passages to all of creation as well, but clearly it's speaking of mankind there, so you have a categorical inconsistency. I've seen a great deal of effort expended by some to work around that, but I've never been convinced that you can come to the conclusion from the text alone. It requires a predetermined agenda and a willingness to accept some pretty strong internal contradictions. I see it as an example of how the underlying assumptions of the interpreter circle back to select those elements that support them and then seek to explain away the difficulties. The problem with that, that I see is the hermeneutic employed displaces the text itself as the authority. We need to read those passages and suspend our epistemological frameworks as much as we can and allow the text to speak for itself. I don't believe anyone reading these passages in Romans can make a case that death came to all creation in the fall with redemption coming to men only given the language of the passages. It's clear to me that the death being spoken of is spiritual separation of God which is reconciled through Christ. I'd prefer to deal with any difficulties that gives rise to, that to allow the difficulties to guide whether I'll accept the passage as it speaks for itself.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
secretfire6
Established Member

Post by secretfire6 »

Well put canuckster. Even as a kid I believed that, in order for the cycle of life in God's plan to exist, that death had to exist before the fall. Same thing with Carnivores. If God's original plan was for everything to be a herbivore and they kept multiplying, then they would quickly run out of food. Logically it makes sense and the fossil record shows that as long as there have been animals, there has been something to keep their numbers in check. Whether natural disasters, disease or other animals to eat them, the balance has allways been maintained.