Interesting Response to a Quote

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
MarcusOfLycia
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Interesting Response to a Quote

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Someone I know on Facebook posted a quote from a movie:

"The trick is to enjoy life, accepting it has no meaning whatsoever."

What I found interesting was that a bunch of their friends 'liked' this quote. Is it just me, or is a life without meaning tantamount to hell? Why would someone 'like' this? I would think if you ever actually had the cognitive connection between lack of meaning and reality, you'd become the most depressed person on earth. Then again... the people who seem to like this quote certainly act like life is all about getting whatever you can out of it and acting like nothing matters at the same time...
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Maytan
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Interesting Response to a Quote

Post by Maytan »

Agreed entirely. I'd say most people in today's society would 'like' that quote.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:Someone I know on Facebook posted a quote from a movie:

"The trick is to enjoy life, accepting it has no meaning whatsoever."

What I found interesting was that a bunch of their friends 'liked' this quote. Is it just me, or is a life without meaning tantamount to hell? Why would someone 'like' this? I would think if you ever actually had the cognitive connection between lack of meaning and reality, you'd become the most depressed person on earth. Then again... the people who seem to like this quote certainly act like life is all about getting whatever you can out of it and acting like nothing matters at the same time...

I think you answered your own question there. :(
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

People who like that quote probably believe that life has no objective meaning, but that it has the relative meaning that you assign to it. In this world view, whatever you set out to do for yourself is the correct thing to do and nobody can judge you for it. This is why they like it. And on one hand, it would have its perks in that there would be no need to show any restraint in this life.

However, the flip-side is like you said. Life would seem much less grand, standards of morality would be completely baseless, Christianity would be false in that worldview, and when you die it would be as though you never existed at all since they don't have any eternal impact.

I'll take the Christian worldview.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

Yeah I here a lot of this Stuff too tbh it makes me giggle cause it annoys me quite a bit, it makes me want to respond to those silly quotes so badly but people will think you are being a jerk and would not understand anyway .. Although sometimes I do go around telling em how meaningless the quotes are >.>
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

As the quote says, it's a trick. May as well declare that the meaning of life is enjoyment.

Not really surprising that other people like this notion, if you don't believe in heaven, hell or any sort of existence after death then enjoying this life is the closest you're gonna get to heaven. Perhaps worth it even if you've got to trick yourself into doing it.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Another aspect of it that makes it interesting is that it is delusional if what you say is the case. And yet, prominent atheists get accolades for declaring Christian theism to be 'delusional'. If it takes delusion for mankind to be human, something is severely wrong with nature itself if nature itself is all there is.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"