Spiritual warfare

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Spiritual warfare

Post by cubeus19 »

Hi all, what is spiritual warfare? Is it something only for cults and chrismatics or is this something for even thinking Christians like us? And if so, how do we do it? Also for those of you who take part in it, has it made a major difference in your walk with God?
Gman
Old School

Re: Spiritual warfare

Post by Gman »

cubeus19 wrote:Hi all, what is spiritual warfare? Is it something only for cults and chrismatics or is this something for even thinking Christians like us? And if so, how do we do it? Also for those of you who take part in it, has it made a major difference in your walk with God?
Essentially everything revolves around spiritual warfare.. Good and bad, it's everywhere even if you don't want to attribute a spiritual side to it. Hatred, murder, greed, envy, etc., is evil spiritually (also known as walking in the flesh) Galatians 5:19-21 whereas love, kindness, peace, joy, etc. is walking with the Spirit Galatians 5:22-23. Our duty therefore is to walk in the Spirit of love, joy and peace. If you do that, you are considered as living by the Spirit and walking with God.

Galatians 5:25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

That's a great assessment of what spiritual warfare could be, but how does one participate in it? Well for instance Gman, do you participate in spiritual warfare? And if so how do you do it?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

cubeus19 wrote:That's a great assessment of what spiritual warfare could be, but how does one participate in it? Well for instance Gman, do you participate in spiritual warfare? And if so how do you do it?
Everyone participates in spiritual warfare when they stand up for righteousness and truth and flee from sin... There is really nothing mystical about it.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Some circles define "Spiritual Warfare" as casting out demons, binding and loosing in terms of exercising authority upon the earth. In that regard, it's a fairly narrow definition and it tends to center more within the Charismatic movement. However, there's tradition within Catholicism of exorcisms so it's not unique to any one particular branch of Christian tradition and history. It's less focused upon in the West in recent centuries because any sense of the Spiritual is reduced and many of the "demonic" related incidents in Scripture are seen now as better explained by mental illness, epilepsy etc.

I think that it's important to recognize that there is a spiritual dimension and not everything is solely rooted in the material. When Christians reject a spiritual element they're effectively operating in the same realms of thinking as atheists and some agnostics. That doesn't mean we revert to seeing demons behind every door, but we need to be discerning and sensitive to when other forces are at work and attacking the body of Christ. When that is the case, the weapons of our warfare are also spiritual and include prayer and humbly invoking the name and authority of Christ.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Eph 6:11, 12, 13, "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm." ESV

That pretty much says it best. There is a spiritual war going on. This subject is one that in many places lays neglected ignored and in others circles exploited and abused. Fact is, there is evil and it can manipulate folks. What Paul writes on this matter as well as Peter shows us what we should do –

Eph 6:10, “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.” ESV

In our modern USA society and culture, we dismiss this battle as fairy tales, but it is real. Head out to the Native American Nations – the third and fourth world countries within our own USA and you’ll get a dose of spiritual warfare first hand. Something not for novices.

A while back I was investigating major Cities in the USA and what prevalent crime and accident rates were most common. I am not done with the study but so far, trends emerge. One City has an overabundance of vehicle accident deaths of a hit and run type, as well as robbery attempts. Another, more child sexual assaults: Another higher divorce and suicide rates. Interesting to see trends that cities have when compared to other cities. Watch your local news, for example, and look at what is most often reported to get an idea of what I mean, then look at the city crime and accident – divorce, suicide, rates and compare to other cities. There is something there that sounds similar to what Paul described in Eph 6:13c.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

There is no spiritual warefar in sweden. The godless majority(that I am part of) get along fine with the religious minority(who i live among half the time) Not that the place is without problems, it just seems to me that religion doesn't make a person more kind, joyous, peaceful or loving. So maybe god just loves Sweden?
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

There is no spiritual warefar in sweden.
Kris, nothing personal, but I don't think you understand what is meant by the term spiritual warfare in this context.

As far as 'religion' making a person more kind. Well, kindness makes a person more kind. Religion makes him, uhhh more religious. In fact the wrong religion can make someone very hateful.

Welcome back by the way.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

B. W. wrote:

A while back I was investigating major Cities in the USA and what prevalent crime and accident rates were most common. I am not done with the study but so far, trends emerge. One City has an overabundance of vehicle accident deaths of a hit and run type, as well as robbery attempts. Another, more child sexual assaults: Another higher divorce and suicide rates. Interesting to see trends that cities have when compared to other cities. Watch your local news, for example, and look at what is most often reported to get an idea of what I mean, then look at the city crime and accident – divorce, suicide, rates and compare to other cities. There is something there that sounds similar to what Paul described in Eph 6:13c.
-
-
-
Exactly... Where sin abides is where evil flourishes. That is why there is a higher concentration of demonic activity in cities.

Hyperdrive
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Hyperdrive »

cubeus19 wrote:Is it something only for cults
No.
cubeus19 wrote:or is this something for even thinking Christians like us?
Yes.
cubeus19 wrote:Hi all, what is spiritual warfare?
cubeus19 wrote:And if so, how do we do it?
Prayer was the first thing that came to mind. Prayer is warfare.
Other things included in spiritual warfare would reading the Bible, resisting temptation, entering worship, and probably more.

And visiting this site. :)
cubeus19 wrote:Also for those of you who take part in it, has it made a major difference in your walk with God?
It continues to.
Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4