Bible says to hate homosexuals?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
dorkmaster
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Bible says to hate homosexuals?

Post by dorkmaster »

In a debate with an atheist friend of mine, he said the Bible tells Christians to hate homosexuals. I searched and searched but couldnt find it. That's not really in there is it?
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Bible says to hate homosexuals?

Post by CeT-To »

Ask him where it is then.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

dorkmaster wrote:In a debate with an atheist friend of mine, he said the Bible tells Christians to hate homosexuals. I searched and searched but couldnt find it. That's not really in there is it?
No it does not. The Bible says homosexuality is a sin - but no greater than promiscuous relationships, or lying or stealing or gossiping or murder or adultery or lustful thoughts or pride etc..... All sins are sins regardless, and all of us are guilty. We are taught to love the sinner and hate the sin - there is a big difference. And that applies for all sins.

Silvertusk.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

You'll hear a lot of "God/Christians think [insert something here]. Its in the bible" things from atheists; at least I do. It's a misleading approach, because what they're really demanding is that you search through the entire thing to find their claims (typically). The best thing to respond with is "tell me where you think that is". Let them do all the work, since they're making a claim.

On this particular topic, Silvertusk is dead on. God never says He 'hates' homosexuals in Scripture. He destroys Sodom and Gemorah because of their wickedness, but the depth and breadth of their wickedness is not possible to summarize... it was bad. That's usually the event atheists refer to about homosexuality, but that misses the point of the thing. God specifically -does- say in Scripture that He loves the whole world, but that He hates sin with a passion.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Quick correction,

I believe "love the sinner Hate The Sin" Was stated by ghandi and it is not actually found in the bible
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte