Miracles in bible times versus today

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Miracles in bible times versus today

Post by Gman »

Miracles can happen whenever OR wherever God wants them to happen.. ;)
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Rascus
Acquainted Member

Post by Rascus »

These are just my own personal observations. Yes miracles are happening today, just as they happened in Biblical times. I just think that with the speed with which everything moves around us today that maybe these miracles get lost in the shuffle. Anyway all I have to contribute is this....how many time have you read or heard about people who are sick and dying with no earthly possible cure or doctor who is able to save them from death...yet somehow they end up perfectly healthy , walk out of the hospital cured with no sign of whatever disease or ailment took them to the brink of death? This is only one of the miracles that happen in todays times....and believe it or not it happens quite often! No there is nobody walking around as in old days saying get up and walk....you are haeled....at least nobody that we are able to visually see....but you can believe that the Lord is there thru the Holy Spirit still prforming these miracles today as was promised in the Bible! People just dont pay attention with all the chaos going on in the world today.

Rascus
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

how many time have you read or heard about people who are sick and dying with no earthly possible cure or doctor who is able to save them from death...yet somehow they end up perfectly healthy , walk out of the hospital cured with no sign of whatever disease or ailment took them to the brink of death? This is only one of the miracles that happen in todays times....and believe it or not it happens quite often! No there is nobody walking around as in old days saying get up and walk....you are haeled....at least nobody that we are able to visually see....but you can believe that the Lord is there thru the Holy Spirit still prforming these miracles today as was promised in the Bible! People just dont pay attention with all the chaos going on in the world today.
A miracle is definative. There wasn't any doubt when Biblical miracles occurred that they were supernatural. Not merely providential. There is simply no way to explain them other than divine.

I do believe that the prayer of faith, when granted by God, will heal. (James 5) However, there is little doubt in my mind that miracles as witnessed while Christ and the disciples walked the earth have ceased. Are people getting healed just by getting in the shadows of believers? Has anyone personally seen someone extend their hand and a person crippled for life become able to walk. I would love to see these things. I have been from the most conservative Baptists church to the most charasmatic. In fact I know a man who does international revivals all over the world, and claims healings. I've been to his church. I've had him come and personally speak to my men's bible study. And not once have I seen a documented case of such healing. In the mean time, I've seen too many deaths from cancer to count, involving some of the most sincere believers I've ever met.
Yes miracles are happening today, just as they happened in Biblical times.
Biblical times span about 2,000 years. If you average every miracle in the bible out over that time frame, I think you get about 1 miracle every eight years. Now, we know this is not how they take place. They happen in bunches. Usually to bear witness to a move of God in the Earth. So, the reality of 'biblical times' is that there are hundreds upon hundreds of years without any recorded miracles.

Hey, if people want to believe miracles still happen like they did in the apostolic age, fine. But why don't you take that faith down to the local hospital and put into practice.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
kevdog19
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by kevdog19 »

through Satan and other demons I have witnessed miracles. And since god created Satan I think this qualifies. People just really misunderstand that Satan is both good and evil.
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

I should mention that I've also witnessed miracles I believe were directly from god. I didn't part the Red Seas but still.
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

kevdog19 wrote:through Satan and other demons I have witnessed miracles. And since god created Satan I think this qualifies. People just really misunderstand that Satan is both good and evil.
Kevdog, could you Elaborate? Where did you obtain such information like "Satan is both good and evil"?

Godbless
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

Well all things contain both polarities, they'rs only a difference of degree. Even in the bible they say that Satan both works for god (good) and is God's advesary (evil).
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

kevdog19 wrote:Well all things contain both polarities, they'rs only a difference of degree. Even in the bible they say that Satan both works for god (good) and is God's advesary (evil).
You're using present tense there kevdog. Where in the Bible (and who is "they") does is say Satan works for God in this present time? Please be specific.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

I just assume Satan is still playing a role for god. That being god over the material world, that's just based on my experience. The book of Job explains that definitively Satan once had a mission from god. But I don't need the bible to tell me what I already know from experience.
Last edited by kevdog19 on Sun May 29, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

kevdog19 wrote:I just assume Satan is still playing a role for god. That being god over the material world, that's just based on my experience. The book of Jobe explains that definitively Satan once had a mission from god. But I don't need the bible to tell me what I already know from experience.
So you're backing away from your initial claim that the Bible assigns "goodness" to Satan at the present time and now attempting to establish it by your own experience and authority?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

Well I honestly don't know if the bible does. On my own authority sounds good lol.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

kevdog19 wrote:Well I honestly don't know if the bible does. On my own authority sounds good lol.
Just trying to be clear on things kev. If you're going to make a claim, it's not unreasonable to ask you to back it up.

This is what the Bible says in reference to Satan, the Devil, Beelzebub and/or Lucifer and many of his other titles.

I've taken this from http://www.biblestudy.org/question/list ... devil.html It's not exhaustive but it is pretty thorough and highlights the main titles and references.

Not much good there, is there?

Q. What are some of the NAMES or TITLES the Bible uses for the devil?

A. Below are Biblical references to the devil:

ABADDON, ANGEL OF THE BOTTOMLESS PIT and APOLLYON

"And they had as king over them the ANGEL OF THE BOTTOMLESS PIT, whose name in Hebrew is ABADDON (Greek: Ἀβαδδών, Strong's Concordance #G3, meaning destoying angel), but in Greek he has the name APOLLYON (Greek: Απολλύων, Strong's Concordance #G623, meaning destroyer)." (Revelation 9:11, NKJV throughout)

ACCUSER OF OUR BRETHREN

"Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, "Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the ACCUSER OF OUR BRETHREN, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down."" (Revelation 12:10)

ADVERSARY and ROARING LION

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your ADVERSARY the devil walks about like a ROARING LION, seeking whom he may devour." (1Peter 5:8)

ANGEL OF THE BOTTOMLESS PIT - See Abaddon

ANGEL OF LIGHT

"And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an ANGEL OF LIGHT." (2Corinthians 11:14)

ANTICHRIST

". . . and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the ANTICHRIST, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world." (1John 4:3)

APOLLYON - See Abaddon

BEELZEBUB and RULER OF THE DEMONS

"But some of them said, 'He casts out demons by BEELZEBUB, the RULER OF THE DEMONS.' ” (Luke 11:15)

BELIAL

"And what accord has Christ with BELIAL? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?" (2Corinthians 6:15)

DEVIL

"Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by THE DEVIL. " (Matthew 4:1)

DRAGON, GREAT DRAGON and SERPENT OF OLD

"And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the DRAGON; and the DRAGON and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. So the GREAT DRAGON was cast out, that SERPENT OF OLD, called the DEVIL and SATAN, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him." (Revelation 12:7-9)

ENEMY and WICKED ONE

"The field is the world, the good seeds are the sons of the kingdom, but the tares are the sons of THE WICKED ONE. The ENEMY who sowed them is the DEVIL, the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels." (Matthew 13:38-39)

FATHER OF LIES - See Murderer

GATES OF HELL

"And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the GATES OF HELL shall not prevail against it." (Matthew 16:18)

GOD OF THIS AGE

"But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, whose minds the GOD OF THIS AGE has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them." (2Corinthians 4:3-4)

GREAT DRAGON - See Dragon

GREAT, FIERY RED DRAGON

"And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a GREAT, FIERY RED DRAGON having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads." (Revelation 12:3)

LIAR - See Murderer

LUCIFER

"How you are fallen from heaven, O LUCIFER, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, you who weakened the nations!" (Isaiah 14:12)

MAN OF SIN and SON OF PERDITION

"Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the MAN OF SIN is revealed, THE SON OF PERDITION, who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped . . ." (2Thessalonians 2:3-4)

MURDERER, LIAR and FATHER OF LIES

"You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a MURDERER from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a LIAR and THE FATHER OF IT. " (John 8:44)

POWER OF DARKNESS

"He has delivered us from the POWER OF DARKNESS and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love" (Colossians 1:13)

POWER OF DEATH

"Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the POWER OF DEATH, that is, the devil" (Hebrews 2:14)

PRINCE OF THE POWER OF THE AIR and SPIRIT WHO NOW WORKS IN SONS OF DISOBEDIENCE

"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the PRINCE OF THE POWER OF THE AIR, the SPIRIT WHO NOW WORKS IN THE SONS OF DISOBEDIENCE" (Ephesians 2:1-2)

ROARING LION - See Adversary

RULER(S) OF THE DARKNESS OF THIS AGE

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the RULERS OF THE DARKNESS OF THIS AGE, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:12)

RULER OF THE DEMONS - See Beelzebub

RULER OF THIS WORLD

"Now is the judgment of this world; now the RULER OF THIS WORLD will be cast out." (John 12:31)

SATAN

"Now SATAN stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel." (1Chronicles 21:1)

"Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and SATAN also came among them." (Job 1:6)

"And the God of peace will crush SATAN under your feet shortly." (Romans 16:20)

SERPENT

"Now the SERPENT was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, "Has God indeed said, 'You shall not eat of every tree of the garden'?"” (Genesis 3:1)

"But I fear, lest somehow, as the SERPENT deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. " (2Corinthians 11:3)

SERPENT OF OLD - See Dragon

SON OF PERDITION - See Man of Sin

SPIRIT WHO NOW WORKS IN THE SONS OF DISOBEDIENCE - See Prince of Power of the Air

TEMPTER

"Now when THE TEMPTER came to Him, he said, 'If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.'” (Matthew 4:3)

THIEF

"I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. the THIEF does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy . . ." (John 10:9-10)

UNCLEAN SPIRIT

"When an UNCLEAN SPIRIT goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none." (Matthew 12:43)

WICKED ONE - See Enemy

Written by: Wayne Stenhouse
edited by Biblestudy.org
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

Well in Islam Malik is an angel and the King of hell and it's simply the role god gave him and he's considered good. Just serving a role in God's kingdom. All the cultures have a slightly different take but it all adds to one heck of aq powerful symbol, always feeding on the power we give it and gaining power in the collective unconcious.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

kevdog19 wrote:Well in Islam Malik is an angel and the King of hell and it's simply the role god gave him and he's considered good. Just serving a role in God's kingdom. All the cultures have a slightly different take but it all adds to one heck of aq powerful symbol, always feeding on the power we give it and gaining power in the collective unconcious.
That's odd. I thought in Islam Satan was Shaitan. Or are you just drawing another analogy?

Is this just a deflection or are you asserting that this has anything to do with the Biblical evidence presented to demonstrate that your previous claim was incorrect or uninformed?
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

I believe Shaitan is from Hindu thought and means "an obstacle", so basically anything in your way to overcome that makes you stronger. No I'm not trying to reassert a point just makingb a different one and that being different cultures have different views on Satan and in Islam he's not a fallen angel. In my belief system the more thought or unconcious inclination given to a symbol the more powerful it becomes in the collective unconcious and by extension on the astral plane. I'm honestly not trying to spar with you, just make interesting conversation, take care.