Some genesis flood questions

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Swimmy
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Some genesis flood questions

Post by Swimmy »

I'm doing some research on a local vs global flood. I've all ready read the pages provided on the home site..Along with a few others..But I need some help with a few verses I'm having difficulty with
Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.”

Wiping out every creature on earth ever made would require a Global flood?

I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race
If its local What about other geographic locations of people? There is findings of human remains that predate the flood?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Some genesis flood questions

Post by RickD »

Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.”
The word translated as earth could also be translated as "land". Now, read the passage, and replace earth with land. It changes the meaning to a more "local" area.
If its local What about other geographic locations of people? There is findings of human remains that predate the flood?

What date are you using for the flood? And how do you know the dates of the other geographical locations of people are accurate?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Swimmy
Established Member

Post by Swimmy »

That still doesn't address . " every living creature I have made" part. Which is the bit I'm having trouble with

But is there any relevant data that would suggest everyone came from the Meso area?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Swimmy wrote:That still doesn't address . " every living creature I have made" part. Which is the bit I'm having trouble with

But is there any relevant data that would suggest everyone came from the Meso area?
It does address it. Every living creature in That land. Remember, if we substitute "land" for "earth", the passage makes sense.
Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the LAND every living creature I have made.”
I'm sure someone will chime in with an answer to your second question. It has been discussed here before.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

FearlessLlearsy
Established Member

Post by FearlessLlearsy »

Remember, if we substitute "land" for "earth", the passage makes sense.
RickD, one must remember that in Hebrew the word earth can also be translated as globe or soil. Just a friendly reminder that if you are going to translate Hebrew words, please list all of the definitions because Hebrew words tend to have several definitions. :)

Since 6000 b.c remains of civilizations have been recorded at Argissa and Nea Nikomedeia in Greece

So to answer your question, there is sufficient evidence to show that other civilizations existed prior to the Flood
Live a life with no FEAR, for the battle is already won. The Devil and his minions only cry in agonizing pain, realizing the victory is OURS.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FearlessLlearsy wrote:
Remember, if we substitute "land" for "earth", the passage makes sense.
RickD, one must remember that in Hebrew the word earth can also be translated as globe or soil. Just a friendly reminder that if you are going to translate Hebrew words, please list all of the definitions because Hebrew words tend to have several definitions. :)

Since 6000 b.c remains of civilizations have been recorded at Argissa and Nea Nikomedeia in Greece

So to answer your question, there is sufficient evidence to show that other civilizations existed prior to the Flood
FearlessLlearsy, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The original poster was trying to see how the biblical text shows how a local flood fits the text. Substituting "land" in place of "earth" just shows how the local flood theory fits the text.
Are you trying to use young earth dates of a global flood to say that people existed before a local flood?

-Edward R Murrow

FearlessLlearsy
Established Member

Are you trying to use young earth dates of a global flood to say that people existed before a local flood?
is that really using young earth dates to say the Flood happened in 5990 b.c? or is that a possible fact?
The earth could have been millions of years old and the flood could have still happened at 5990 b.c? y/:)

For the meanings, i was explaining that Earth in context could mean also globe or soil, since whoever said Earth in the Hebrew language meant land specifically.
Live a life with no FEAR, for the battle is already won. The Devil and his minions only cry in agonizing pain, realizing the victory is OURS.
FearlessLlearsy
Established Member

Could you then please tell me when did the flood exactly happened, since 5990 b.c happens to be a young earth date??...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FearlessLlearsy wrote:Could you then please tell me when did the flood exactly happened, since 5990 b.c happens to be a young earth date??...
Sorry, I can't tell you when the flood happened. But, according to Hugh Ross in his book "A Matter Of Days", he places the flood at roughly 20,000 to 30,000 years ago.

-Edward R Murrow

FearlessLlearsy
Established Member

Alright... does that change the fact that it could have been a worldwide flood?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FearlessLlearsy wrote:Alright... does that change the fact that it could have been a worldwide flood?
Does what change the fact? There is geological evidence that is interpreted by young earth creationists(YECs)that shows them that the earth and humanity is only thousands of years old, and there was a worldwide flood approx. 4-6 thousand years ago. That same geological evidence, when interpreted by old earth creationists(OECs),shows them that the earth is much older than thousands of years, humanity's age is somewhere in the range of 10,000 to 100,000 years old, and there was one local flood at the time of Noah, and many other catastrophies throughout the earth's history all over the globe. Theistic evolutionists and non theistic evolutionists take the same evidence and interpret it to fit their worldviews. You're going to have to come to your own conclusion as to which worldview you believe best fits what the evidence shows. I and probably most old earth creationists believe there have been many local floods throughout the earth's history that accounts for the evidence we see.

-Edward R Murrow

FearlessLlearsy
Established Member

Alright, so, you would dismiss the fact that there was a Worldwide flood? And i presume there have been thousands of local floods throughout History
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FearlessLlearsy wrote:Alright, so, you would dismiss the fact that there was a Worldwide flood? And i presume there have been thousands of local floods throughout History
If you mean worldwide flood in the day of Noah, then no, I don't believe that flood covered the entire globe. If, by worldwide, you mean the human inhabited world at that time, then by that definition, it was worldwide. I do believe the bible says in Genesis 1:2 that the entire planet was covered with water. As far as how many local floods there were throughout history, I haven't a clue. I believe that Noah's flood was the only flood that wiped out all of humanity except for the few on the ark.

-Edward R Murrow

FearlessLlearsy
Established Member

I don't believe that flood covered the entire globe. If, by worldwide, you mean the human inhabited world at that time, then by that definition, it was worldwide
According to your view, could you please define what was the "human inhabited world" at the time--- A little more specificity could be helpful.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FearlessLlearsy wrote:
I don't believe that flood covered the entire globe. If, by worldwide, you mean the human inhabited world at that time, then by that definition, it was worldwide
According to your view, could you please define what was the "human inhabited world" at the time--- A little more specificity could be helpful.
This is an article by Rich on the homesite:http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html
It should help with some of your questions.

-Edward R Murrow