The Disconnection

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

The Disconnection

Post by Murray »

Hello,

I am somewhat new to the christian faith (1.5 fulls years about). I am very involved in the church and pray and read the bible almost daily. I also try to sign up for church community events almost every chance i get.

But one thign i also seem to love to do is read atheistic material and listen to atheist lectures o challange my faith. After hearing or reading these i feel disconnected and feel like my faith is completly shattered. Then after like one day of living an atheist life i go back to living by my christian values and pray for forgivness and for the lord to grant me the gift of faith.

I sometimes think these "large breaks" in my faith are due to the part of me that gets tired of devoting and centering my life around christianity. Now the question that arises whenever i do for some reason loose my faith for a faint period of time is "what if i am wrong, what if god does not exist, then i am for no reason disiplining my life and living without the pleasures".

I would truley appriciate you thoughts, suggestions, support and prayer as i try to solidify my christian faith.

-note-:recently things have been getting much better and the breaks are becomming less and less common but never the less they still occur and they truley annoy and hurt me when they do.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The Disconnection

Post by Canuckster1127 »

If you find banging your head against a brick wall gives you headaches, then stop banging your head against the wall .... :lol: :esurprised:

Perhaps you could listen to some apologetics directed toward atheism and look at these things from the position of refuting them rather than seeking to be convinced by them? William Craig has a lot of material and many on this board have a lot of respect for him. Ravi Zacharias is another excellent source of consideration.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: The Disconnection

Post by CeT-To »

Hello Murray, welcome to the forum!

I don't understand what you mean in these sentences "But one thign i also seem to love to do is read atheistic material and listen to atheist lectures o challange my faith. After hearing or reading these i feel disconnected and feel like my faith is completly shattered."

Is it like Canuckster is saying? That you look to be convinced by atheistic arguments?
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!