Regarding OEC

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Regarding OEC

Post by voicingmaster »

I know most of you believe in OEC, and reject the idea of thiestic evolution. So, how did different species and stuff come about? Was there just animals appearing out of the air in the middle of the day or what?
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Re: Regarding OEC

Post by bizzt »

voicingmaster wrote:I know most of you believe in OEC, and reject the idea of thiestic evolution. So, how did different species and stuff come about? Was there just animals appearing out of the air in the middle of the day or what?
I believe the Stork delivered them :wink:
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

voicingmaster wrote:I know most of you believe in OEC, and reject the idea of thiestic evolution. So, how did different species and stuff come about? Was there just animals appearing out of the air in the middle of the day or what?
I don't see why at least animal evolution isn't accepted by OECs. it's in the bible!!!
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Mastermind wrote:
I don't see why at least animal evolution isn't accepted by OECs. it's in the bible!!!
Hey Mastermind where is it in the bible?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Genesis 1

20 And God said, "Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the firmament of the heavens."

24: And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds." And it was so.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Mastermind wrote:Genesis 1

20 And God said, "Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the firmament of the heavens."

24: And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds." And it was so.
Ok so it is not a Direct Evolution quote saying Dinos will turn into Birds etc... 8)

Thanks MM
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Mastermind wrote:
I see, so every other animal evolved, except for Adam and Eve, who were made from mud. Correct?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

And the verse just after each ;):

21God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good.

25God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good.

and Genesis 2:19—
"Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name."

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Kurieuo wrote:

And the verse just after each ;):

21God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good.

25God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good.

and Genesis 2:19—
"Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name."

Kurieuo.

Care to tell me what animals would be made out of if evolution was true using a vocabulary an ancient would understand? Or at the very least, tell me some hebrew words for the types of chemicals that organic matter is made out of. Because if you can't, being formed from the ground is exactly what evolution does when you try to explain it using simple poetic language. ;)
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Mastermind wrote:Care to tell me what animals would be made out of if evolution was true using a vocabulary an ancient would understand? Or at the very least, tell me some hebrew words for the types of chemicals that organic matter is made out of. Because if you can't, being formed from the ground is exactly what evolution does when you try to explain it using simple poetic language. ;)
Something like, "And the creatures in the sea brought forth creatures not of their own kind and they came onto land."

Wouldn't you say that "each according to their kind" effectively indicates that the animals themselves are not changing kinds?
Last edited by Felgar on Tue May 03, 2005 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Felgar wrote:
Mastermind wrote:Care to tell me what animals would be made out of if evolution was true using a vocabulary an ancient would understand? Or at the very least, tell me some hebrew words for the types of chemicals that organic matter is made out of. Because if you can't, being formed from the ground is exactly what evolution does when you try to explain it using simple poetic language. ;)
Something like, "And the creatures in the sea brought forth creatures not of their own kind and they come onto land."

Wouldn't you say that "each according to their kind" effectively indicates that the animals themselves are not changing kinds?
Interesting Point!
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Felgar wrote:
Something like, "And the creatures in the sea brought forth creatures not of their own kind and they came onto land."
It would probably be more accurate but it doesn't necessarily rule out evolution.
Hardly. Animals are still made "according to their kind" either way. That's why we have different kinds. :roll:
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Genesis 2:19—

This is perhaps the clincher for me. The word for "formed" (yatsar) has the following Strongs definition:
to mould into a form; especially as a potter; figuratively to determine (that is, form a resolution): - X earthen, fashion, form, frame, make (-r), potter, purpose.
It suggests God directly and intimately formed each one, as a potter forms a pot.

I am also a little puzzled as to why you draw the line with humanity?

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Kurieuo wrote: Genesis 2:19—

Kurieuo.
If that verse means the way you're trying to make it out to mean, then the scriptures would contradict. B/c earlier it states very clearly that anmals were made before humans. However, you're trying to say that they formed out of nothing after Adam was created.
It suggests God directly and intimately formed each one, as a potter forms a pot.
God can guide evolution and make things the way He wanted just as accurately as He would if He made them from scratch.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Kurieuo wrote:Genesis 2:19—

This is perhaps the clincher for me. The word for "formed" (yatsar) has the following Strongs definition:
to mould into a form; especially as a potter; figuratively to determine (that is, form a resolution): - X earthen, fashion, form, frame, make (-r), potter, purpose.
So it can also mean make? And I'd like to remind you that evolution is pretty much molding. If you accelerate the process, that's pretty much exactly what you would see.

I am also a little puzzled as to why you draw the line with humanity?

Kurieuo.
I don't. I'm a bit unsure on the human part for now and thus keep it out of the discussion until i make a decision(which won't be any time soon as I haven't been feeling much like doing any research lately).