Has anybody read God is Not Great?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
jakobpatterson
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Has anybody read God is Not Great?

Post by jakobpatterson »

I haven't been able to read the book, but many atheists say that it's the best book for atheists, that and the God Delusion. So has anybody here actually read the book and can tell me if the book is that great or what? I koow he says things like Benjamn Franklin was an atheist, which is wrong, and that Jesus never existed, which many historians (even the atheists) say that atleast he existed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Re: Has anybody read God is Not Great?

Post by PaulSacramento »

Its an interesting read, as is the God delusion.
Of course like most books that are based on opinion and selective understanding (many times erroneous ones), they "preach to the converted".
Hitchens is cool though, I do like his stuff more than the other guys like Dawkins, he makes no pretense that he doesn't care for God because God cramps his style !
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I've read The God Delusion. I haven't read God is Not Great. Not sure I will. I have a full reading agenda and while I occassionally do read in the area of militant atheists, just to keep up, the truth is that I have more positive things to be reading and I find a lot of the whole Dawkins, Hitchins, Dennett etc. crowd to be rather predictable and tedious. Militant Atheism doesn't impress me anymore than some forms of militant fundamentalism within religious circles. In fact, I think the two have a lot more in common than either faction is willing to recognize and admit.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I've read The God Delusion. I haven't read God is Not Great. Not sure I will. I have a full reading agenda and while I occassionally do read in the area of militant atheists, just to keep up, the truth is that I have more positive things to be reading and I find a lot of the whole Dawkins, Hitchins, Dennett etc. crowd to be rather predictable and tedious. Militant Atheism doesn't impress me anymore than some forms of militant fundamentalism within religious circles. In fact, I think the two have a lot more in common than either faction is willing to recognize and admit.
Very true, it seems that all militant views are expressed the same way, whether under the umbrella of religion or science or philosophy.
I have also noted that a person leaving a fundamentalist religion will either become a militant atheist ( by militant I mean very vocal and open about how horrible ALL relgion is even though he/she has no experience outside the religion they left) or be part of another fundamentalist religion.

It's a personality thing I guess.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:I've read The God Delusion. I haven't read God is Not Great. Not sure I will. I have a full reading agenda and while I occassionally do read in the area of militant atheists, just to keep up, the truth is that I have more positive things to be reading and I find a lot of the whole Dawkins, Hitchins, Dennett etc. crowd to be rather predictable and tedious. Militant Atheism doesn't impress me anymore than some forms of militant fundamentalism within religious circles. In fact, I think the two have a lot more in common than either faction is willing to recognize and admit.
Very true, it seems that all militant views are expressed the same way, whether under the umbrella of religion or science or philosophy.
I have also noted that a person leaving a fundamentalist religion will either become a militant atheist ( by militant I mean very vocal and open about how horrible ALL relgion is even though he/she has no experience outside the religion they left) or be part of another fundamentalist religion.

That's a fairly accurate claim based on my experience. I've also seen know-it-all Christians become know-it-all atheists... gets kind of frustrating to be talking to someone who, with less than a full year of college, 'knows' more about cosmology, theology, philosophy, physics, biology, history, and politics than me or anyone else I've met. I suppose 'know' could be properly replaced with 'copies from google' and it would be a more accurate statement.

Its interesting to see people not change (at least for the better) when they change belief systems - they basically just change the mask they're wearing. Its one of the reasons I see something different in Christianity - I've watched people -actually change-.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

That's a fairly accurate claim based on my experience. I've also seen know-it-all Christians become know-it-all atheists... gets kind of frustrating to be talking to someone who, with less than a full year of college, 'knows' more about cosmology, theology, philosophy, physics, biology, history, and politics than me or anyone else I've met. I suppose 'know' could be properly replaced with 'copies from google' and it would be a more accurate statement.

Its interesting to see people not change (at least for the better) when they change belief systems - they basically just change the mask they're wearing. Its one of the reasons I see something different in Christianity - I've watched people -actually change-.
Indeed, I especially love all those experts on the bible that have never even read one commentary on any of its books OR even read any of the basics books on Christianity like Mere Christianity for example.
Google and youtube seem to be their source for anything that they AGREE on and that fits THEIR views.
Agreed on the visible changes I have seen in Christianity, although I do have to admit they are not always for the best, but in THOSE cases I view it as NOT ENOUGH Christ, not "too much".
Know what I mean?